Vaughn Harper dies | Syracusefan.com

Vaughn Harper dies

RIP.
I had no idea he worked at WBLS. That's a legendary station. A relatively young man. Very sad news.

Yes, he was actually a few years behind JB and played with him and Bing one year. He was more in the next era with George Hicker, Richie Cornwall. Great rebounder.

For many years. His segment on the radio was called the "quiet storm". He was excellent. RIP.
Grew up in Queens during the Disco Era & the Quiet Storm was required listening for hormone enhanced teenagers like myself. RIP, & thank you Mr. Vaughn Harper.

RIP.

Yes, he was actually a few years behind JB and played with him and Bing one year. He was more in the next era with George Hicker, Richie Cornwall. Great rebounder.
Yep. I saw him play his last year.

I saw him play with the freshman team, and thought that he was going to be as good as Dave Bing. I think he came to SU in the class one year behind Bing/Boeheim, but sat out what would have been his soph year. The story I heard at the time was that he was taking 18 hours, including several labs, and could not keep up.
While he was away he stayed in Syracuse and played for the Olympians, a local team with former players from local high schools (Central Tech and others). I saw them play a game against a team from Auburn at the old Auburn Central High School. Most of the crowd was cheering for the Olympians, particularly Vaughn Harper.

RIP

I vaguely remember his name being mentioned during a game on the radio way back when.

Yes, Vaughn was there when I was at SU back in the Jurassic days. He was very talented & I believe that he got drafted by the Pistons. If he were two or three inches taller he probably would have been a very nice rotational player at the next level as he sure had the hops.

He was one of our first players who had a truly exciting style on the court.

Yes, Vaughn was there when I was at SU back in the Jurassic days. He was very talented & I believe that he got drafted by the Pistons. If he were two or three inches taller he probably would have been a very nice rotational player at the next level as he sure had the hops.

He was one of our first players who had a truly exciting style on the court.

I remember him doing a Harlem Globetrotters routine during warm ups before each game.

RIP

Had no idea he played at Cuse. For the true hip hop heads, you will recall Ghostface on Daytona 500:

"Voice be mellow like Vaughn Harper, Radio Barber.."

I had no idea he worked at WBLS. That's a legendary station. A relatively young man. Very sad news.

RIP Vaughn. From some of the posts I see on here, I suspect an invisible ladder is in use, albeit I'm unsure of in which direction.
(Ok, I am now paying homage to the OP and kicking into SWC mode of historical trivia)

Indeed it is a legendary station. Around 28 years ago U2 released a hit(which they no longer play live) which made mention of it. Said song reached #1 on the US Billboard rock charts.

RIP

Had no idea he played at Cuse. For the true hip hop heads, you will recall Ghostface on Daytona 500:

"Voice be mellow like Vaughn Harper, Radio Barber.."

Maybe the opening of the song was dedicated to Vaughn and not Billie Holiday? ;)

It was a cold and wet December day
When we touched the ground at JFK
Snow was melting on the ground
On BLS I heard the sound
Of an angel.

Btw, any chance it isn't "Voice be Melo?" ;)

This is one of my all time favorites, I just dig the sound. I suppose their are male angels too, so Vaughn today this is for you:

RIP Vaughn. From some of the posts I see on here, I suspect an invisible ladder is in use, albeit I'm unsure of in which direction.
(Ok, I am now paying homage to the OP and kicking into SWC mode of historical trivia)

Indeed it is a legendary station. Around 28 years ago U2 released a hit(which they no longer play live) which made mention of it. Said song reached #1 on the US Billboard rock charts.

BLS is probably the only FM station (besides sports radio -- FAN and ESPN) I listen to now in the tri-state. I skip right past those other stations now.

BLS is probably the only FM station (besides sports radio -- FAN and ESPN) I listen to now in the tri-state. I skip right past those other stations now.

Back in the day (80s/90s) WBLS was huge in the NYC metro area.

Back in the day (80s/90s) WBLS was huge in the NYC metro area.

Trust me I know -- back then it was Kiss and BLS holding it down, and BLS still plays good music compared to what else is out there now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom