VCU vs Vandy last night | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

VCU vs Vandy last night

Yes, I really hope we are practicing positioning for the diagonal pass. If they are going to play tight man defense in the half court, it will be important for us to score off of their press regularly. I can see Jimmy getting quite a few open threes by just moving to an open spot once we get the ball to half court against the press. I think Buddy, Joe and Cole will be the ball handlers, luckily we have one more really good shooter that can take advantage of the press.
Will be very interesting to see how Buddy figures into this. He wasn’t used much in press breaks, but I’ll be curious to see if that increases this year after working with Devo

@ Duke

Duke didn’t pressure the ball a lot. We only had 11 turnovers, fewer than Duke. Did we press a lot? And out starting PG only had 1.

Will be very interesting to see how Buddy figures into this. He wasn’t used much in press breaks, but I’ll be curious to see if that increases this year after working with Devo

I think when faced with intense pressure we’ll see Jimmy and Cole help out.

Wear Virginia was 1 possession. Most of our turnovers were by Q and Buddy in the half court. Houston we only had 11 turnovers and only 2 by the starting PG.
If West Virginia brought that pressure throughout the game we were toast. And it was a LOT more than one possession.

Ah, maybe Buddy will be the rover in the back looking for open threes. He would also help keep the activity of the press down, because surely part of the focus would be to not allow Buddy to get open. VCU will really show us a lot about this team. I can't wait.

If West Virginia brought that pressure throughout the game we were toast. And it was a LOT more than one possession.

No team brings that kind of desperate pressure full court the whole game. And if they tried they’d be in trouble.

From what I saw VCU doesn't do much in the way of a trapping press. Each defender picks up his man no matter where he is on the court. So if you have one PG dribbling the ball up there will just be one defender pressing him.

Their press doesn't create many turnovers, it just slows you down a little. Then they aggressively double team the ballhandler on every screen (like Houston did to us). This is what bothered Vanderbuilt. They were really slow to find the screener who was left open and VCU was able to recover, which took even more time off the clock for Vanderbuilt.

Syracuse is going to need to know that double team is coming every time they set a screen and be ready to move the ball quick. If they can guys like Swider can get a lot of open shots.

There are multiple ways the skin a cat, I agree the best way is with the pass, but to do that you need to get open and move without the ball well with speed and athleticism which we lack a bit.

I heavy defense on our guards is going to give us fits, nothing more I would like than me being proven wrong.
From what I saw VCU doesn't do much in the way of a trapping press. Each defender picks up his man no matter where he is on the court. So if you have one PG dribbling the ball up there will just be one defender pressing him.

Their press doesn't create many turnovers, it just slows you down a little. Then they aggressively double team the ballhandler on every screen (like Houston did to us). This is what bothered Vanderbuilt. They were really slow to find the screener who was left open and VCU was able to recover, which took even more time off the clock for Vanderbuilt.

Syracuse is going to need to know that double team is coming every time they set a screen and be ready to move the ball quick. If they can guys like Swider can get a lot of open shots.
Run the pick and roll with the forwards

We will roll them and I think we get Baylor too.
Hey, hey, hey if you are going to go that far, we would have one more game after that. Don't leave that game up in the air!!!!!

um no mention of their game prior to Vandy, VCU managed 44 pts at home vs... WAGNER... losing to them by 14

Last edited:
Knowing next to nothing about VCU other than the final scores of their first three games (57-54, 44-58, and 48-37) and that they apparently play very aggressive D, this seems like a team that SU has typically struggled against over the years, no matter how good we are and how bad they are. I'm totally off base though here, right?

Knowing next to nothing about VCU other than the final scores of their first three games (57-54, 44-58, and 48-37) and that they apparently play very aggressive D, this seems like a team that SU has typically struggled against over the years, no matter how good we are and how bad they are. I'm totally off base though here, right?
I agree with you, but to ply devil’s advocate, we do have a better shooting team than we’ve ever seen here. That said, I think we win but I think it’ll be closer than a lot think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom