Vermont Gameday... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Vermont Gameday...

I love how some negative ppl saying Will Mark can't keep that kind of play up. Look I know he's facing better teams and shooters but the 2 yrs I watched him play I can only remember 1 bad game from him. He' is the definition of consistency. He will face better shooters and give up some goals but he will battle all game long and will make phenomenal saves every game. His vision and hand speed is high level. I'll be honest and I said it all last week I expected him to play like he did agajnst Vermont. I was at the game and turned to my bro in law and said that's the Will Mark we have been watching for 2 yrs. Yes he was an All American but being at LIU he didn't get the respect he deserves and I'm happy for him because now he will get it. He's a high level special player. Just because a player played lesser competition doesn't mean they can't still play at a high level and raise there game when they face tougher competition. Look at Max Walbaum last yr for Jax and he came from D 3. Just like he produced all yr I almost guarantee that the Will Mark you saw Saturday is the same guy you will see most weeks this season. He will let up more goals say against a Duke or Virginia but he will also steal goals and make exceptional saves. Most of all keep his team in the game with a chance to win. LIU had some talented players who have transferred to top schools but as a team with no depth yet they battled with teams like St Joes who is very talented. I went to both games agajnst St Joes last yr and they were great games due to having such a special player in goal who kept them in the games. They almost upset St Joes in the NEC tournament while losing 11 - 10. All the hype St Joes got this yr from almost upsetting Yale would not be here it would have been LIU thanks to Will Mark. I'm telling you guys he's special. I know someone said there not impressed by playing well agajnst St Joes but trust me u will be impressed all yr long. Expect to see the guy u saw play last Saturday. That's Will Mark and he will show up every game to battle. If these talented players start to get comfortable in this offense and keep getting better as the season goes all while the defense communicates and plays aggressive physical D. Man then having a goalie like Will Mark idk they can be a very good team this yr and keep improving as the season goes. Maybe steal some games that last brutal stretch and make the tournament this yr. If they are peaking come tournament they could make some noise in the tourney too. This team is more talented then ppl think. The offense is gonna come around and has a lot of talent. The D let's it be known when u play SU expect to get hit and battle because this SU D is tough and physical. I'm expecting to see a really good team show up Friday night and make a statement. I really believe that. Yes they can make a statement by physically dominating Albany which I think they are capable of. Wouldn't be surprised to see an 18 - 8 game. I'll be there again to witness it. CAN'T WAIT

I love how some negative ppl saying Will Mark can't keep that kind of play up. Look I know he's facing better teams and shooters but the 2 yrs I watched him play I can only remember 1 bad game from him. He' is the definition of consistency. He will face better shooters and give up some goals but he will battle all game long and will make phenomenal saves every game. His vision and hand speed is high level. I'll be honest and I said it all last week I expected him to play like he did agajnst Vermont. I was at the game and turned to my bro in law and said that's the Will Mark we have been watching for 2 yrs. Yes he was an All American but being at LIU he didn't get the respect he deserves and I'm happy for him because now he will get it. He's a high level special player. Just because a player played lesser competition doesn't mean they can't still play at a high level and raise there game when they face tougher competition. Look at Max Walbaum last yr for Jax and he came from D 3. Just like he produced all yr I almost guarantee that the Will Mark you saw Saturday is the same guy you will see most weeks this season. He will let up more goals say against a Duke or Virginia but he will also steal goals and make exceptional saves. Most of all keep his team in the game with a chance to win. LIU had some talented players who have transferred to top schools but as a team with no depth yet they battled with teams like St Joes who is very talented. I went to both games agajnst St Joes last yr and they were great games due to having such a special player in goal who kept them in the games. They almost upset St Joes in the NEC tournament while losing 11 - 10. All the hype St Joes got this yr from almost upsetting Yale would not be here it would have been LIU thanks to Will Mark. I'm telling you guys he's special. I know someone said there not impressed by playing well agajnst St Joes but trust me u will be impressed all yr long. Expect to see the guy u saw play last Saturday. That's Will Mark and he will show up every game to battle. If these talented players start to get comfortable in this offense and keep getting better as the season goes all while the defense communicates and plays aggressive physical D. Man then having a goalie like Will Mark idk they can be a very good team this yr and keep improving as the season goes. Maybe steal some games that last brutal stretch and make the tournament this yr. If they are peaking come tournament they could make some noise in the tourney too. This team is more talented then ppl think. The offense is gonna come around and has a lot of talent. The D let's it be known when u play SU expect to get hit and battle because this SU D is tough and physical. I'm expecting to see a really good team show up Friday night and make a statement. I really believe that. Yes they can make a statement by physically dominating Albany which I think they are capable of. Wouldn't be surprised to see an 18 - 8 game. I'll be there again to witness it. CAN'T WAIT
I appreciate your enthusiasm and many good points about Will Mark. You are clearly a fan of his.

My opinion is one of cautious optimism. He has demonstrated that he has the physical skills to be a strong goalie in D1. He played well against Vermont but Vermont doesn't have the offense they had in 2021 or 2022. I will be fully on the Mark bandwagon if he performs well against the big boys in a few weeks and then the grueling closing stretch against the ACC. Playing against MD, Duke etc. under the pressure of national media attention and Cuse alumni expectations will be a new test for him. It's a bit like playing baseball for the Baltimore Orioles for the past few years and then playing for the Yankees or Red Sox. It will be more of a mental/psychological challenge for Will. Having spoken with several past top D1 goalies, they tell me that is the toughest adjustment they had - handling the pressure of trying to make the playoffs, not having a top defense in front of you, elite shooters at every position firing at you, negative media coverage etc.

He came here, in his own words, to shine under the bright lights. He now has that chance to prove himself at the highest level. I wish him well!

If he struggles, I hope people remember that he doesn't have the defense that Entenmann and McNaney have in ND and MD or what McElroy had in Georgetown the past few years.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and many good points about Will Mark. You are clearly a fan of his.

My opinion is one of cautious optimism. He has demonstrated that he has the physical skills to be a strong goalie in D1. He played well against Vermont but Vermont doesn't have the offense they had in 2021 or 2022. I will be fully on the Mark bandwagon if he performs well against the big boys in a few weeks and then the grueling closing stretch against the ACC. Playing against MD, Duke etc. under the pressure of national media attention and Cuse alumni expectations will be a new test for him. It's a bit like playing baseball for the Baltimore Orioles for the past few years and then playing for the Yankees or Red Sox. It will be more of a mental/psychological challenge for Will. Having spoken with several past top D1 goalies, they tell me that is the toughest adjustment they had - handling the pressure of trying to make the playoffs, not having a top defense in front of you, elite shooters at every position firing at you, negative media coverage etc.

He came here, in his own words, to shine under the bright lights. He now has that chance to prove himself at the highest level. I wish him well!

If he struggles, I hope people remember that he doesn't have the defense that Entenmann and McNaney have in ND and MD or what McElroy had in Georgetown the past few years.
Well he's the kind of guy who will not fold under the bright lights. He's from Cali just cool calm and collect. Also Vermont lost a beast of a player but we still don't know what kind of offense they have this yr. Guys leave and others get there chance to shine. Just look at Maryland last Saturday and last few yrs. Guys leave the next step up. Now in no way am I comparing Maryland to Vermont I'm just saying in general that Vermont offense could have some talented kids no one even knows about yet. Maybe they are even better as a group who knows with McCovey. Can't say there not as good offensively until they play some more games. Maybe they aren't as good but we don't know yet. I'm curious to see how they look against Boston. Back to Will I will guarantee u that he comes to battle every game including the ACC games. He won't shy away from the bright lights and just as those guys are super talented so is Will Mark. Like I said earlier he will get beat facing great shooters but he will also steal some goals and make ridiculous saves too because he's that talented. All I meant today anyway was expect to see the same Will Mark show up and compete every week that u saw last week. He will make big time saves.

Well he's the kind of guy who will not fold under the bright lights. He's from Cali just cool calm and collect. Also Vermont lost a beast of a player but we still don't know what kind of offense they have this yr. Guys leave and others get there chance to shine. Just look at Maryland last Saturday and last few yrs. Guys leave the next step up. Now in no way am I comparing Maryland to Vermont I'm just saying in general that Vermont offense could have some talented kids no one even knows about yet. Maybe they are even better as a group who knows with McCovey. Can't say there not as good offensively until they play some more games. Maybe they aren't as good but we don't know yet. I'm curious to see how they look against Boston. Back to Will I will guarantee u that he comes to battle every game including the ACC games. He won't shy away from the bright lights and just as those guys are super talented so is Will Mark. Like I said earlier he will get beat facing great shooters but he will also steal some goals and make ridiculous saves too because he's that talented. All I meant today anyway was expect to see the same Will Mark show up and compete every week that u saw last week. He will make big time saves.
I did not mean to imply that Will would not show up and compete every week. My point was that pressure can affect players in different ways and can affect their confidence no matter how great a competitor they may be. It's just this simple - we will know later this season how Mark handles the pressure. If you are correct, he will do just fine. Everyone needs to remember that this is a team sport - Mark will need the defense and fogos to step up and perform. No goalies can have a great save percentage if they are hung out to dry by the defense and fogos who constantly give possessions to the other team.

The defense did pretty good at only allowing shots that Mark wanted. There was only one across the crease were we had a defensive lapse.

E
I did not mean to imply that Will would not show up and compete every week. My point was that pressure can affect players in different ways and can affect their confidence no matter how great a competitor they may be. It's just this simple - we will know later this season how Mark handles the pressure. If you are correct, he will do just fine. Everyone needs to remember that this is a team sport - Mark will need the defense and fogos to step up and perform. No goalies can have a great save percentage if they are hung out to dry by the defense and fogos who constantly give possessions to the other team.

I was just saying he's a very calm cool under pressure kind of dude as he's from California. I think being from California actually helps him as a goalie. He doesn't get rattled at all. I know what you are saying he's gonna be ion high pressure situations that he's never been in before. I just think he's gonna rise to the occasion and handle it. He believes in himself and believes he's the best. Very confident guy which is what u need to be a star player at this level. I also think the defense is improved this yr and much more physical. The D will keep improving to as the season goes on to just like the offense. As I said this morning it's pretty impressive how well that D 3 goalie on Duke is playing too, He will be under big time pressure as well. Hopefully he's doesn't handle iit as well as Will does especially the last game of the season with both teams maybe needing a win to make the tournament. Lol

I was just saying he's a very calm cool under pressure kind of dude as he's from California. I think being from California actually helps him as a goalie. He doesn't get rattled at all. I know what you are saying he's gonna be ion high pressure situations that he's never been in before. I just think he's gonna rise to the occasion and handle it. He believes in himself and believes he's the best. Very confident guy which is what u need to be a star player at this level. I also think the defense is improved this yr and much more physical. The D will keep improving to as the season goes on to just like the offense. As I said this morning it's pretty impressive how well that D 3 goalie on Duke is playing too, He will be under big time pressure as well. Hopefully he's doesn't handle iit as well as Will does especially the last game of the season with both teams maybe needing a win to make the tournament. Lol
You've given us a "heads up" on Will Mark quite a while ago and you were right on the money. Since I haven't followed his career, I was a bit skeptical. But you were right, he is something special and I loved watching him play. I live for agressive goalie play, so I was thrilled to see the check (I think in the third) which looked clean to me where he drew the penalty. Anyway, I digress, looking forward to watching him all season ... too bad we only have him for one year.

You've given us a "heads up" on Will Mark quite a while ago and you were right on the money. Since I haven't followed his career, I was a bit skeptical. But you were right, he is something special and I loved watching him play. I live for agressive goalie play, so I was thrilled to see the check (I think in the third) which looked clean to me where he drew the penalty. Anyway, I digress, looking forward to watching him all season ... too bad we only have him for one year.
I believe he has COVID eligibility and has said that he was using it-- so we would have him for 2 years.

Yeah I loved that check he made. He cost Murphy a CT on that and Murphy lost another on a shot clock. Could have had 2 CTs and I think he knocked the ball loose 2 other times too. I told u guys these two can play. Murphy got juked out but he was just over aggressive which I think he was a lil amped up playing in the dome for the first time. Never really see that happen with him because he plays solid D as he did other then that. Still rather see him play aggressive and cause turnovers. He started with that V check midseason last yr and finished with 11 CTs. He should definitely cause a nice amount of turnovers this yr. He's a tough kid. Oh I even loved when they showed Will Mark all fired up after that goal. This team can be a lot of fun to watch this yr. The offense should get going Friday I think. I really think there gonna win big and make a statement. Hope I'm right.

Interesting perspective from a friend who is a Duke alum plaeyed few years ago and big lacrosse fan. After watching the first Cuse game he left impressed with our kids said that we are asking more from our freshman than most teams and reminded me Duke was so deep O,neill ran out of the box first half of freshman year because the were so deep with talent and even UVA red shirted and already older Shellenberger so that’s good perspective. Felt Spallina being so aggressive is a real good thing because it’s easier to calm down aggressiveness than get rid of timid and other parts of his game will be on display (knows him through current Duke players that love him) . Thinks the midfield has to have a dodging presence or it will make life tough on attack and loved Thompson’s game so slick Really impressed with Mark and Aggresive D but also felt we are a year away from being relevant as a contender Figured I share

D7F5908F-A611-45D3-BF96-97A2DD80D91B.jpeg

According to lacross bucket we get Holy Cross twice this week!! Lmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom