Versatile Forward | Syracusefan.com

Versatile Forward

B

Brooky03

How far back do we have to go in Cuse history to find a team that sucked despite having a versatile, NBA starting caliber Forward? A 6'8 guy who dribbles and shoots like a SG.

I'd say we have to go back to before I was born (1991), but maybe I'm missing somebody? Seriously, I think the only thing holding back JB coached teams is the absence of an NBA forward, of which there are handfuls of every single draft. They're not rare.

So what gives?

Having not watched the teams in the 80's, the 2010 Syracuse team is the best team I've ever witnessed (I was lucid as a 12 year old in '03). That team had an average sized Senior SG playing PG who lacked any significant athleticism but hit 3's like a boss. The Fr. SG was steady but nothing special on either end of the court. Lifted weights. The SF was a NBA two position player at SG and SF. PF and Center were Thicccc and efficient but not NBA caliber. The bench was okay.

That team could not overwhelm you at more than one position, but found ways to wreck elite teams by double digits. Are we really just one good Forward away from getting back to the mountain top?

You have to go back to the 60s just to find an SU team that sucked! So yeah. Before you were born.

And yes. I know what you meant.

How far back do we have to go in Cuse history to find a team that sucked despite having a versatile, NBA starting caliber Forward? A 6'8 guy who dribbles and shoots like a SG.

I'd say we have to go back to before I was born (1991), but maybe I'm missing somebody? Seriously, I think the only thing holding back JB coached teams is the absence of an NBA forward, of which there are handfuls of every single draft. They're not rare.

So what gives?

Having not watched the teams in the 80's, the 2010 Syracuse team is the best team I've ever witnessed (I was lucid as a 12 year old in '03). That team had an average sized Senior SG playing PG who lacked any significant athleticism but hit 3's like a boss. The Fr. SG was steady but nothing special on either end of the court. Lifted weights. The SF was a NBA two position player at SG and SF. PF and Center were Thicccc and efficient but not NBA caliber. The bench was okay.

That team could not overwhelm you at more than one position, but found ways to wreck elite teams by double digits. Are we really just one good Forward away from getting back to the mountain top?
Is this a thread about Quincy Guerrier?

Well we had Bazley signed sealed and delivered, until we didn't. Between that and the Howard ankle injury, this year could have been a really good one. So, yes, we need one of those, and a legit point guard.

And a center which begs the question, what the heck would we do with all our returning guys if we landed the guys people think we are lacking.

So what gives?

yes!

coleman owens wallace anthony warrick

johnson fair joseph

no one is going to be like our 80s forwards but i'm really hoping hughes puts in the work to take over

And a center which begs the question, what the heck would we do with all our returning guys if we landed the guys people think we are lacking.
Duke and other programs recruit over under-performing players all the time, just sayin'.

So what gives?

I'm not sure it's that simple. That 2010 ten team had something even a lot of our most talented teams didn't have as much of, basketball IQ. The way that team moved without the ball, shared the ball, found shooters, and was balanced inside and out may be the best I've seen. I was young for for the 80's teams but I remember even those teams were a bit more relient on individual talents making plays.

Even with an elite NBA level forward, I don't think we would have been great. Certainly better, but not to the level of our great teams. I think we lacked more than just talent on this team.

I'm not sure it's that simple. That 2010 ten team had something even a lot of our most talented teams didn't have as much of, basketball IQ. The way that team moved without the ball, shared the ball, found shooters, and was balanced inside and out may be the best I've seen. I was young for for the 80's teams but I remember even those teams were a bit more relient on individual talents making plays.

Even with an elite NBA level forward, I don't think we would have been great. Certainly better, but not to the level of our great teams. I think we lacked more than just talent on this team.

What a fun team to watch. Such a pick your poison team. If the defense wanted to pack it in, we could shoot over the top. Try to stay with the perimeter guys, throw it down low to AO or Rick. If the defender goes under the screen that Andy was using he could pull up and shoot it. Try to go over and he could curl around and shoot the midrange or draw and dish. Try to hedge, and slip a pass to the big guy that could finish that was sliding to the rim. The one thing that team missed was a guy that could take over a game by himself that becomes necessary at some point in a season. Like Owens, Melo, or Wallace could. I think that's the one thing Flynn would have offered had he come back. Man, why did AO have to get hurt?

So what gives?

Brooky03

Maybe. Finding one is the lesson. We always had the top players up until the NCAA sanctions.

A bit of a history lesson.

The 2009 – 2010 team you are referring to had a record of 30 – 5 and made the Sweet 16

Arinze Anuaku – C 6' 9” 225*
Rick Jackson – PF 6' 9” 235*
Wes Johnson – F 6' 7” 198**
Andy Rautins - G/F 6' 5” 190* ran the team
Brandon Triche - PG 6' 4” 198
Kris Joseph - F 6' 7” 220*
Scoop Jardine – G 6' 1” 192
A very talented, unselfish group * drafted into NBA or played in Europe or Canada ** Most successful in NBA

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I assumed we are talking about JB's tenure as HC.

None of his teams “sucked”. I've been watching SU BB since 1962 and think I understand what you mean. It wasn't easy to find.

I picked what I thought you were looking for - the team with the lowest win record ever for JB which was 1981- 82 with 16 wins. His next lowest was win total - 19 wins everything else is either 20 or higher.

His first year as HC in 1976-77 the team was 26 - 4
77 - 78 – 22 - 6
78 - 79 – 26 – 4
79 - 80 – 26 – 4
80 – 81 – 22 – 12
81 – 82 – 16 - 13
The NBA ready forward in 81 – 82 was Leo Rautins 6' 8” 215:
Leo Rautins was a multi-talented power forward, with exceptionally strong ball handling skills. Rautins could play the point position, rebound and score inside and from the perimeter. He was a solid free throw shooter, and a clutch player.
Rautins was one of the top players ever to come out of Canada. He was on the Canadian National Team when he was only 16 years old, the youngest player ever to hold that honor, and remained on the team from 1977-1982, and again from 1989-1992. He missed the Olympics because of the boycott in 1980.
He started his collegiate career in Minnesota, where as a freshman he was second in the Big 10 conference in assists to a sophomore named Magic Johnson. He was named to the Big 10's all-rookie team, averaging 8.3 points, 4.1 rebounds, and 3.9 assists.
Rautins transferred to Syracuse after his freshman year, and became a vital component of the team. He capped off his first season, with a dramatic tip in of a game winning shot for a triple overtime victory against Villa nova, to give Syracuse its first Big East Tournament Championship. As a junior, he missed seven games due to a knee injury, something that would come back to haunt him later as a professional. Rautins would record a triple double against St. Peters in the NIT Tournament with 12 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists in a 84-75 win.
Drafted in the first round #17 by Philadelphia.
/////////////////////////

FYI: NBA ready F's out of SU ranked
Carmelo Anthony 2002 – 03

Derrick Coleman 1986 – 90
Billy Owens – 1988 – 91
Hakim Warrick – 2001 – 5
John Wallace – 1992 – 6
Louis Orr – 1976 – 1980
Etan Thomas – 1996 – 2000
Leo Rautins – 1980 – 83
Wesley Johnson – 2009 – 10
Rafael Addison – 1982 – 86