Very few players have gotten better lately | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Very few players have gotten better lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas didn't become a true factor until his senior year. If he played like that earlier, he may have been a lottery pick.

Re: development. The players aren't working hard enough or the assistants are doing their job. SU needs a big man coach and a true S&C coach.
What we need are more talented big men. Kids that aren't complete offensive projects and have the ability to bang inside. You can't blame coaching or the lack of a big man coach for not have any sort of interior presence on recent teams. The talent has been so underwhelming.

Player development is not from coaching?

Uhhhh

It’s not solely from coaching. The coaches do their job, but ultimately it’s up to the player to improve. The coaches don’t see them in the summer in a lot of cases. Nothing they can do. The players can shoot, do drills, workout on their own.

Like pretty much everything else, coaching and the players serve a role. But yeah... if player development is not on coaching then what is on coaching?

Coaches coach when they can coach. What do you do for Tyler Roberson when he goes home every Summer?

Yeah that’s nonsense. The coaches can’t be there all the time. It’s on the players to do the work to get better. You had no idea what was going on in practice, yet you blame the coaches. Ridiculous.

If nobody is getting better, why are we recruiting so many lazy players that don't want to get better?

What we need are more talented big men. Kids that aren't complete offensive projects and have the ability to bang inside. You can't blame coaching or the lack of a big man coach for not have any sort of interior presence on recent teams. The talent has been so underwhelming.

The center from OD looks like a "project" and dropped in 5 points and 4 boards in 11 minutes. We can't get that out of a guy who's practiced and played with a P5 team and is 7'2". It's insane to me that when you're that big you can't put the ball in the hoop at will.

Coaches coach when they can coach. What do you do for Tyler Roberson when he goes home every Summer?

You set up a training plan. Had one for everyone of my players in the off-season.

I've coached in college (baseball). It's probably 90 % on coaches to get players better. You recruit because you think the player will do better under you. Be it body type maturing in the weight room, be it a mechanical flaw they have that is something you believe you can fix to maximize their skill-set and properly identifying makeup during the recruiting process that this kid will work to get better.

Player Development and Recruiting are much more intertwined than they appear at first glance.

The center from OD looks like a "project" and dropped in 5 points and 4 boards in 11 minutes. We can't get that out of a guy who's practiced and played with a P5 team and is 7'2". It's insane to me that when you're that big you can't put the ball in the hoop at will.

So Providence and Syracuse couldn’t make Chuckwu a good offensive player? Hmmm...maybe it’s not just the Syracuse staff then.

Player development is not from coaching?

Uhhhh
Not even going to respond to that post it is that absurd.
If player development isn’t on the coaches why have more than 1 coach.

Not even going to respond to that post it is that absurd.
If player development isn’t on the coaches why have more than 1 coach.

Maybe sneak into a practice to see what the coaches actually do on a daily basis before continuing to bash them on a regular basis. You don’t have a clue and admitted as much.

Maybe sneak into a practice to see what the coaches actually do on a daily basis before continuing to bash them on a regular basis. You don’t have a clue and admitted as much.
Maybe you would know practices are closed to people who aren’t invited.

Maybe you would realize the staff isn’t. Infallible.
My god they are responsible for player development.

Maybe you would know practices are closed to people who aren’t invited.

Maybe you would realize the staff isn’t. Infallible.
My god they are responsible for player development.

Yeah that’s why I said “sneak in”. It was tongue in cheek. How can you criticize the coaches if you have no idea what goes on in practice? The players aren’t infallible either. They need-to make the commitment and do the work. The coaches can’t make them great or even good players on their own. Also, the coaches can’t coach kids who aren’t on campus.

Tyus Battle has improved tremendously since his freshman year. Did he get better all on his own, or did the staff have something to do with it?

Yeah that’s why I said “sneak in”. It was tongue in cheek. How can you criticize the coaches if you have no idea what goes on in practice? The players aren’t infallible either. They need-to make the commitment and do the work. The coaches can’t make them great or even good players on their own. Also, the coaches can’t coach kids who aren’t on campus.

Tyus Battle has improved tremendously since his freshman year. Did he get better all on his own, or did the staff have something to do with it?
Tyus Battle hasn’t improved tremendously since his freshman year.
The area he has improved is FTA per game. This is to his credit.
His shooting percentages have remained about the same. His usage rate has went thru the roof that is the explaination in his scoring uptick.
His assists/rebounds have stayed the same.
Our offense had very few guys who could actually score last year thus couldn’t sit and Battle had to take a lot of shots.

My god I will do your work for you if you are going to point to a recent player just point to Michael Gbinije who developed no doubt but our player development has not been good recently. You will respond with a shot at me and the circle of life will continue.

Last edited:
His shooting percentages have remained about the same. His usage has went thru the roof that is the explaination in his scoring uptick.
Our offense had very few guys who could actually score last year thus Battle to take a lot of shots.

My god I will do your work for you if you are going to point to a recent player just point to Michael Gbinije who developed no doubt but our player development has not been good recently. You will respond with a shot at me and the circle of life will continue.
His shooting percentage has improved tremendously this season, and he is getting to the line more than ever, as you pointed out. He is a much more efficient scorer now. Here's hoping that continues, but much will depend on Howard and Brissett doing their part offensively, and not forcing Battle to carry too much of the load.

There have been numerous threads here on how people honestly hope that PC applies for a 6th year. No one has ever actually explained why they want this to happen.

PC’s legs appear to be shot. He seems to struggle out there with any extended time. We need Sidibe and Oshae to become rebounding machines and finishers. We can’t continue with the dribble around and go 1 v 1 with :05 on the clock crap. Having Marek play center is simply not going to cut it. I think PC is done after this season. Just a gut feeling.

His shooting percentage has improved tremendously this season, and he is getting to the line more than ever, as you pointed out. He is a much more efficient scorer now. Here's hoping that continues, but much will depend on Howard and Brissett doing their part offensively, and not forcing Battle to carry too much of the load.

We hurt ourselves against ODU by not making our FT’s. Tyus needs to settle down and get the team settled when we face the type of adverse situations we did the other day. He was frustrated and let it reflect in his poor decisions and lack of concentration. And why is Frank taking the biggest 3 of that game? Don’t tell me JB drew that up.

His shooting percentages have remained about the same. His usage rate has went thru the roof that is the explaination in his scoring uptick.
Our offense had very few guys who could actually score last year thus couldn’t sit and Battle had to take a lot of shots.

So you’re telling me that Tyus Battle of this season is not much improved from his freshman season? That’s idiotic. Way better player. Did he do it all himself? No. Staff made a difference and he’d say the same thing. But he also worked very hard to become a great player.

Gbinje improved a ton as well. Does the staff get any credit? Of course.

These coaches coach. You have no clue.

Battle’s 2 pt% his freshman year was 51.9% this year it is 51.1%
Battle’s 3pt% his freshman year was 36.6% this year it is 34.2%

What Battle has done better is get to the free throw link your stats next time.
He is averaging 3 rpg this year instead of 2 rpg then and his assists have gone from 1.7 per game to 1.9.

The player development isn’t great.

Tyus Battle College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

So you’re telling me that Tyus Battle of this season is not much improved from his freshman season? That’s idiotic. Way better player. Did he do it all himself? No. Staff made a difference and he’d say the same thing. But he also worked very hard to become a great player.

Gbinje improved a ton as well. Does the staff get any credit? Of course.

These coaches coach. You have no clue.
The stats say he is the same player with more FG attempts and I said he got better at getting to the FT line.
Just because you say he is better doesn’t mean he is.
What exactly have the coaches developed.
You literally just want to fight any narrative you don’t like. Just as much as you don’t like me I could careless what you think as you showed the board what you are when you said coaches aren’t responsible for player development.
When you lose a poster like Celuck who is beyond objective on this board it shows when a clown statement has been made.

Battle’s a good player but he isn’t some lottery SG/Swingman. He suffers from so much ineptitude around him as well. There will be some games he can carry us and/or keep us close and other games where the whole team is just overmatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom