Very Interesting: | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Very Interesting:

Yes, but NFL teams only have a 55 player roster and the players are under contract. College teams have a 85 scholarship players and upwards of 20-30 walk-on players and no binding contracts - I think - who knows at this point how the NIL deals are being structured.

College football and college basketball are fun and interesting when there is widespread, nationwide competition.

The larger programs have always dominated college football - I know that.

But programs like Brigham Young and Ga Tech had a chance to win the NC with breakout seasons.

In 1987 SU had a chance for the NC.

Since the BCS and the play-offs were introduced the teams able to win the NC have been reduced to what? Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma?

You could also throw in Texas, USC and some additional SEC teams?

For me, it's getting a bit old and boring.

And, with the financial limitations that NIL will impose, the competition will continue to be whittled down to just a few teams.

Yuck.
The point I made was that OSU paid $13 million for their whole team not 1 player. That's much less than one player on an NFl roster. It may be sustainable for limited number of schools with rich crazy boosters.

I agree with everything else you said. College sports are becoming less and less interesting. Greed at every level is eroding it.

It is essentially a zero to very low return on investment for the boosters.

Pro franchise owners generally net huge earnings

Hate to say it...but you gotta run it like the NFL as much as you can and still have kids work toward a degree

Contracts
Salary Caps
Cut players after the season
However every player should get a minimum to include walk ons.
Be mindful of Pell Grant rules

Football is different than other sports. It is really hard for a player under 20-21 to make an NFL roster so most players have to stay in college. The NFL loves having college as their free minor league system. Maybe the NFL kick in some support?
For boosters it's the nearly the same as high rollers going to Vegas. I'm don't know that there are any clear answers to how you run it. There's too much money in it and it's too much about the money.

The NCAA can say whatever they want. The IRS will not allow for tax deductions to buy a linebacker. The NCAA has no decision on this.
What’s the difference between a linebacker, a coach or even a professor?

What’s the difference between a linebacker, a coach or even a professor?
Are you really asking what the difference is between a linebacker and a professor to a college? The IRS has already ruled on this. It isn't up for debate. The purpose of college isn't to play football or any other sport. It's education. Now, anyone can donate to a collective to help "buy" that linebacker. You just won't get the same deduction you get when you give money to Wounded Warrior or St Jude or Syracuse University. And honestly, you shouldn't. They aren't near the same thing.

Are you really asking what the difference is between a linebacker and a professor to a college? The IRS has already ruled on this. It isn't up for debate. The purpose of college isn't to play football or any other sport. It's education. Now, anyone can donate to a collective to help "buy" that linebacker. You just won't get the same deduction you get when you give money to Wounded Warrior or St Jude or Syracuse University. And honestly, you shouldn't. They aren't near the same thing.
I am saying, if the NCAA allows schools to donate directly, that opens up the opportunities for tax deductions.

In the scenario that schools can donate directIy, if I donate $1M to the athletic department and the school uses it for NIL, I would still get my tax deduction. Even if the $1M isn’t used directly for NIL, it will help balance the budget elsewhere

I am saying, if the NCAA allows schools to donate directly, that opens up the opportunities for tax deductions.

In the scenario that schools can donate directIy, if I donate $1M to the athletic department and the school uses it for NIL, I would still get my tax deduction. Even if the $1M isn’t used directly for NIL, it will help balance the budget elsewhere
Okay. But that isn't a NIL donation. The school would run a great risk. The IRS is not to be dealt with in a roque manner. They live for things like this.

You choose where the money gets spent, not the AD (sorry if I am being redundant).

That's when the tree of does it go to NIL, brick and mortar, AD fund, etc...come into play with tax events.

I wonder how many will decide that they'd rather make a little less somewhere else and play rather than make a little more and sit at Ohio St.?
Agree. I figure agents will be pushing for the highest pay day but if your dream is nfl you have to see the field. OhioSt clearly can pay players to be backups but eventually players may not to go that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom