Very Interesting: | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Very Interesting:

Yes, it very well may be sustainable for a select few. But that will impact what makes college athletics interesting – the widespread competition.
I agree. I think we've all seen that the powers that be don't care about that. The only thing that will control/reverse all the dumb changes we're seeing will be if people stop watching. Do you think that will happen? We're a pretty addicted culture.

Just seems to me that if it’s all coming from individuals, eventually the money will run out.

At some point, it has to be paid from a revenue model.

But what do I know. I’m likely applying logic that says no one would constantly spend their money like this. At least for the bigger donors. But maybe I’m underestimating just how important college football national championships are to their satisfaction in life.
I would think so too, but there seem to be more billionaires with money to burn that I used to think.

Just seems to me that if it’s all coming from individuals, eventually the money will run out.

At some point, it has to be paid from a revenue model.

But what do I know. I’m likely applying logic that says no one would constantly spend their money like this. At least for the bigger donors. But maybe I’m underestimating just how important college football national championships are to their satisfaction in life.
I think it has a lot of room to go up, unfortunately.

I believe Ohio State, Georgia, Texas, and the likes have $50M+ in donations a year directly to the school, which significantly outweighs what is going to NIL today. If schools can eventually pay directly (which NCAA put forth), there is a lot more room for NIL to go up,

I also think NIL levels go up, (regardless of an NCAA rule change), as donors are continued to be pressured to make contributions to the NIL, vs directly to the school.

Last edited:
I am thankful that we have some high rollers that are generous with their support for SUFB. I just wish it didn't come to this where the public (or the 1%) has to bankroll this operation.
It’s absurd that it’s come to this. All the money getting generated by TV networks and schools and the fans are on the hook to pay players. Just another ugly twist in the college sports.

I agree. I think we've all seen that the powers that be don't care about that. The only thing that will control/reverse all the dumb changes we're seeing will be if people stop watching. Do you think that will happen? We're a pretty addicted culture.
I don’t think we’ll stop watching altogether but I bet people will watch less. I’ve been there with college basketball for a while now. I only watch our games. I use to watch college basketball daily for a long time. What makes college football the driver is most fans watch teams other than their favorite team. I watch about half as much football as I did just a few years ago. I watch 2 or 3 bowl games now instead of 10 or so.

College sports are slowly dying for me and I doubt I’m alone. Maybe it’s just my generation and older that is getting turned off.

It’s absurd that it’s come to this. All the money getting generated by TV networks and schools and the fans are on the hook to pay players. Just another ugly twist in the college sports.
This.

It’s the government model. Tax your income, then tax purchases, tax your land and even then it’s never enough and the debt keeps climbing.

I don't know. That's less that one star NFL player's salary. It all depends on how rich and crazy the boosters are. Given that we're seeing some schools raise $100 million in the drop of a hat for facilities, it may be sustainable for a select few. It won't work if you want to have an interesting college sports landscape that keeps fans across the whole country interested, however.
Yes, but NFL teams only have a 55 player roster and the players are under contract. College teams have 85 scholarship players and upwards of 20-30 walk-on players and no binding contracts - I think - who knows at this point how the NIL deals are being structured.

College football and college basketball are fun and interesting when there is widespread, nationwide competition.

The larger programs have always dominated college football - I know that.

But programs like Brigham Young and Ga Tech had a chance to win the NC with breakout seasons.

In 1987 SU had a chance for the NC.

Since the BCS and the play-offs were introduced the teams able to win the NC have been reduced to what? Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma?

You could also throw in Texas, USC and some additional SEC teams?

For me, it's getting a bit old and boring.

And, with the financial limitations that NIL will impose, the competition will continue to be whittled down to just a few teams.

Yuck.

Last edited:
Wow, I believe when we start winning and bringing in the best recruits that we can, that , we won't need to spend that much. (we can't, we don't have it. lol) We have something new and special here, that some of the best players will want to be part of it. I know one thing, we have some of the best coaches out there

You think the best players are going to forego big paydays to come to ‘Cuse because they love what is going on here? Is that something common that happens in the business world…..?

I didn't say all would come because they want to play for Fran, but I do believe Fran's faith in God and his way he instills it to his players and in his recruiting that he will get some and he did get some without having to pay the huge dollar. And will he get some others for that same reasoning, the answer is yes. And will we still have to fork out big bucks, probably. You will have to pay out some money to these kids but not ALL.iof them will be determine by who will give me the most.

DB also had faith in god and was willing to express it. It had no positive impact on recruiting. Not trying to be a jerk but Fran isn’t the only coach putting his faith on his sleeve, it’s pretty common in the SEC and B10 as well as many other places.

Havent heard anything about this, but it’s where fundings moving. Wouldnt be shocked

Pay into the fund or draw and pay the player?
As I understand it, at this point: This would be to create a fund which would be administered by the University.

Yes, but NFL teams only have a 55 player roster and the players are under contract. College teams have a 85 scholarship players and upwards of 20-30 walk-on players and no binding contracts - I think - who knows at this point how the NIL deals are being structured.

College football and college basketball are fun and interesting when there is widespread, nationwide competition.

The larger programs have always dominated college football - I know that.

But programs like Brigham Young and Ga Tech had a chance to win the NC with breakout seasons.

In 1987 SU had a chance for the NC.

Since the BCS and the play-offs were introduced the teams able to win the NC have been reduced to what? Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma?

You could also throw in Texas, USC and some additional SEC teams?

For me, it's getting a bit old and boring.

And, with the financial limitations that NIL will impose, the competition will continue to be whittled down to just a few teams.

Yuck.
Very true. It also sets up some programs to go all-in on a particular year. Ole Miss looks like a program doing just that for the ‘24 season.

Plus with a 12-team playoff and the potential of injuries to change the playing field, outliers will have a shot on an annual basis. But to your point, they are still outliers to the core programs.

DB also had faith in god and was willing to express it. It had no positive impact on recruiting. Not trying to be a jerk but Fran isn’t the only coach putting his faith on his sleeve, it’s pretty common in the SEC and B10 as well as many other places.
other than Dabo name other coaches who walk the walk vs preach like Dion

I don't know. That's less that one star NFL player's salary. It all depends on how rich and crazy the boosters are. Given that we're seeing some schools raise $100 million in the drop of a hat for facilities, it may be sustainable for a select few. It won't work if you want to have an interesting college sports landscape that keeps fans across the whole country interested, however.
It is essentially a zero to very low return on investment for the boosters.

Pro franchise owners generally net huge earnings

Hate to say it...but you gotta run it like the NFL as much as you can and still have kids work toward a degree

Contracts
Salary Caps
Cut players after the season
However every player should get a minimum to include walk ons.
Be mindful of Pell Grant rules

Football is different than other sports. It is really hard for a player under 20-21 to make an NFL roster so most players have to stay in college. The NFL loves having college as their free minor league system. Maybe the NFL kick in some support?

Last edited:
other than Dabo name other coaches who walk the walk vs preach like Dion

Go read recruiting sites yourself. Tons of players comment on coaches and their faith after a visit.

I love your mindset but the paying for players will continue and wont slow down. If you really think these players we’ve gotten this winter want to just come up north and play for Fran, ummm ya idk what to tell ya. It’s not going to slow down. Didnt slow down for Alabama, Ohio st, Georgia and its kicking Clemson’s ass right now because their HC doesnt want to fully embrace it
Dabo is a class act.

Remember, the NCAA fought against having athletes be considered employees. If they were employees, all this stuff could be collectively bargained (assuming unionization).

Yep when schools are bringing in the kind of money they are today, especially in the Big 10 and SEC, they can afford to be the ones paying players and also fund the non-revenue sports. College needs an NFL model, collectively bargained, with a salary pool that each school has for NIL money that can be spent however they want and donors can go back to donating for new facilities and other things of that nature

I think it has a lot of room to go up, unfortunately.

I believe Ohio State, Georgia, Texas, and the likes have $50M+ in donations a year directly to the school, which significantly outweighs what is going to NIL today. If schools can eventually pay directly (which NCAA put forth), there is a lot more room for NIL to go up,

I also think NIL levels go up, (regardless of an NCAA rule change), as donors are continued to be pressured to make contributions to the NIL, vs directly to the school.
The difference is that donations to a collective are not tax deductable. Let's see what those people think when their donations are not helping their tax situation.

When the tax man comes for his share, and congress starts investigating these elite schools, and they lose their tax exemption.
There are too many colleges and states that would be left out for Congress and the courts not to get involved.
And when Congress gets involved, the big shots at the networks will be testifying before Congress, and be forced to turn over records, and conversations, texts, emails, and other data.
Give it a rest no one wants to listen to your Q anon nonsense.

And it sucks because I think this model is an absolute joke but I also care so damn much that I feel like a bad fan if I don't donate to collectives. I'm not mad at the coaches themselves when they ask for NIL support because they have no choice but to play the game but it pisses me off listening to millionaires beg me to pay for their teams.

The difference is that donations to a collective are not tax deductable. Let's see what those people think when their donations are not helping their tax situation.
I believe the NCAA proposal would enable tax deductions since payment to athletes would be through the school

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom