Very telling and important quote from Clemson OC-Hope Shafer is reading | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Very telling and important quote from Clemson OC-Hope Shafer is reading

Enough, they were both qualified for the job. Marrone was the right hire at the time and Shafer got the job because he earned it for his work here. He's had a rough start because it's been a rough start. First game out of the box on a big stage, NWestern is pretty damn good and Clemson is elite this year. Nothing that has happened so far is a surprise, at least to me, and the real test is the rest of the way. He needs to take care of business at home and find a way to win one of three vs NCSt, GT, and Maryland.

He does that year one is a success. Period.

I would agree that if he wins one of the three and wins out at home that is a modestly successful first year. My opinion it doesn't bode that well for the future, but it is what it is and we'll have to live with it. Hopefully, McDonald's recruiting prowess can improve things.

In reality I think their best shot is at NCST.

Closing with Pitt and BC should be wins. Those are traditional Lambert Trophy, Big East programs. They don't have any southern recruiting advantage. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he wins both of those. Don't see it.
6-6 and a small bowl is a modest success. 4-8 or 5-7 which appears more likely is not success. It won't cost him his job after one season, although if doesn't tone it down soon he could do something so stupid that it will cost him his job.