Very telling and important quote from Clemson OC-Hope Shafer is reading | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Very telling and important quote from Clemson OC-Hope Shafer is reading

Are you sure Shafer can read? He can't control himself on the sideline. He says the things he used to on the football field or hoops court when he was a kid.

Either you are purposely trolling or you aren't a syracuse fan. Grow up.

I have a feeling it's going to get worse for us this season. We just look so unprepared and outcoached out there. I will be shocked if we beat NC state or Maryland.

I don't have a problem with the blitzing [although I do agree that it can be dialed back situationally]. I have a bigger problem with our safeties biting on every handoff play fake and perpetually being out of position.
agree, it's not like not blitzing is going to make our safeties effective.

We almost have to blitz most of the time because our d-backs are so bad.
I think it's more our DE's are so bad, at least rushing the passer.

JB's zone won him a National Championship and hundreds of wins, I think it's almost disrespectful to compare Shafer's blitz package to it considering the 2-3 zone has an 80% winning percentage the past 5 years
About half of his wins came before he ran exclusively zone. He has also won his games with a fair number of mickey d players, including the number one player in the country for the NC. Shafer's defenses have often played with inferior talent but still managed to be successful.

It was a fair comparison.

Lots of blame/responsibility to go around. Yes, the talent level needs to improve. Yes the recruiting "star system" is imperfect. But when you coach up 4 & 5 star players they will likely beat "coached up" 2 & 3 star players. I'm not sure who to blame when a receiver is running uncovered 30 yards downfield. Anderson definitley bit on the first one but if you re-watch it he wasn't prepared at the snap to begin with...standing straight up sideways to the line of scrimmage isn't going to allow you to cover real D1 WR's.

I have a feeling it's going to get worse for us this season. We just look so unprepared and outcoached out there. I will be shocked if we beat NC state or Maryland.
While the scheme hasn't been great this year, I can't understand this. Maryland lost to FSU by 60+ this weekend and NC State hasn't beaten anyone good, and lost to Wake. Both games are winnable. Clemson is a National Championship caliber team. We don't have the skill to play with a team like that yet. They are miles ahead of WVU (2011) and Louisville (2012).

While the scheme hasn't been great this year, I can't understand this. Maryland lost to FSU by 60+ this weekend and NC State hasn't beaten anyone good, and lost to Wake. Both games are winnable. Clemson is a National Championship caliber team. We don't have the skill to play with a team like that yet. They are miles ahead of WVU (2011) and Louisville (2012).

The flipside is that one can argue that FSU is better than Clemson. They have more physically imposing players, imo. They could beat us by 70. Maryland/NC St. will be a good gauge of where we are. Certainly reasonable to think that they aren't going to be easy games.

The flipside is that one can argue that FSU is better than Clemson. They have more physically imposing players, imo. They could beat us by 70. Maryland/NC St. will be a good gauge of where we are. Certainly reasonable to think that they aren't going to be easy games.
Never said they weren't going to be easy, but FO said he'd be shocked if we won them. We should be winning 1 out of 2 at the minimum. Especially now if UMD's QB is hurt.

Never said they weren't going to be easy, but FO said he'd be shocked if we won them. We should be winning 1 out of 2 at the minimum. Especially now if UMD's QB is hurt.

Assuming we get blown out by Florida State, we are a 2-4 just like last year. The other games are going to be like the Penn State game- could go either way. We need to go 4-2 in those games to get to a bowl, which is reasonably our goal this year.

Losing that Penn State game will come back to haunt us. It may have been the most important game of the season. :(

Either you are purposely trolling or you aren't a syracuse fan. Grow up.
Actually it is Shafer who needs to grow up by his own admission. His outburst was an embarrassment. His behavior on the sideline generally is an embarrassment. And he gives no one any hope for improvement by his deer in the headlights news conference behavior.

I'm and SU fan, not a Shafer fan. It's early but I'm betting we won't get any better with him at the helm.

Actually it is Shafer who needs to grow up by his own admission. His outburst was an embarrassment. His behavior on the sideline generally is an embarrassment. And he gives no one any hope for improvement by his deer in the headlights news conference behavior.

I'm and SU fan, not a Shafer fan. It's early but I'm betting we won't get any better with him at the helm.

Grown ups admit when they are wrong, which he did.

Your turn.

I may be overreacting because of the way we lost, it was discouraging. At the same time, you guys are right we could win any of the games left except Florida St. I'd have a better feeling if the NC St. game was in the dome.

Your turn.
Keep hoping. A career assistant who never had a sniff at a HC job until now. Sounds a lot like GROB, except he was an assistant on two Super Bowls and one BCS championship. He had a much better resume.

I also find it ironic that P was savaged on this board for sticking with DeLeone. The Shafer/Bullough dynamic seems exactly the same, no?

Your turn.

Cannot do that on national TV, in a conference game, as a rookie coach.

If it was a 1-AA complaining against a big boy maybe. If it were a Frank Beamer type on the way out maybe.

Keep hoping. A career assistant who never had a sniff at a HC job until now. Sounds a lot like GROB, except he was an assistant on two Super Bowls and one BCS championship. He had a much better resume.

I also find it ironic that P was savaged on this board for sticking with DeLeone. The Shafer/Bullough dynamic seems exactly the same, no?

Sigh. On both counts we are 5 games in. 5.

Robinson was bad. Coach p and Deleone were savaged after 3-4 years of mediocre to poor coaching - and refusing to change.

If you think Bullough should be let go after getting beat by a top 3 team, your nuts.

Cannot do that on national TV, in a conference game, as a rookie coach.

If it was a 1-AA complaining against a big boy maybe. If it were a Frank Beamer type on the way out maybe.

What do you think should have happened? He gets fired? For that? He said he was wrong. Case closed, move on.

5 games and the shafer/bullough dynamic is the same? I haven't been impressed with Bullough but it's been 5 games. We just lost to a national title contender. interesting that you joined this board less than a week ago. Tired of rooting for UConn and needed somewhere to troll?

Sigh. On both counts we are 5 games in. 5.

Robinson was bad. Coach p and Deleone were savaged after 3-4 years of mediocre to poor coaching - and refusing to change.

If you think Bullough should be let go after getting beat by a top 3 team, your nuts.

If GRob was bad, Shafer looks no better five games in and there is nothing in Shafer's resume to suggest he'll get better.

I don't think anybody should be fired this soon. But, I also don't think Shafer has shown anything to give you hope.

His resume doesn't deserve a head coaching job. His comportment doesn't justify it. The preparation of his team doesn't show anything.

In an era of football where you need to out score your opponents having a career DC with a mediocre resume isn't every encouraging.

But, I hope you're right. I hope he turns it around.

And while he shouldn't be fired for that outburst he should be suspended at least one game. Set an example. If a player did something as boneheaded there would be outrage on this board.

If GRob was bad, Shafer looks no better five games in and there is nothing in Shafer's resume to suggest he'll get better.

I don't think anybody should be fired this soon. But, I also don't think Shafer has shown anything to give you hope.

His resume doesn't deserve a head coaching job. His comportment doesn't justify it. The preparation of his team doesn't show anything.

In an era of football where you need to out score your opponents having a career DC with a mediocre resume isn't every encouraging.

And while he shouldn't be fired for that outburst he should be suspended at least one game. Set an example. If a player did something as boneheaded there would be outrage on this board.

He has a better resume for the position than Doug had. He also looks much better through 5 games than Doug did.

He has a better resume for the position than Doug had. He also looks much better through 5 games than Doug did.
No he doesn't have better resume than Marrone. Marrone had NFL experience and was a younger guy who was on a of number of NFL short lists for interviews. Everyone in football knew he would be head coach in the league at some point.

Shafer is a career assistant who only got a sniff at HC because of the timing of Marrone's departure.

What do you think should have happened? He gets fired? For that? He said he was wrong. Case closed, move on.

Of course not, but he acted like an overserved fan. I am seeing then twice in the next month, will get a better idea of this sideline stuff that people have been posting about here.

Turning the tables, we've seen a lot of guys act like fools on the other bench across from JB. I love SS's attitude, intensity and all of that but that type of cursing at the other coach stuff of course can never happen again. Unless it's a Schiano bush league end of game type move.

Great minds think alike :) I shudder to think that this argument could land on this board as well though. lol

Good lord. He's needs to take it down a notch or two but comparing him to Robinson, that's nuts. Other than the mismatch at Michigan, what's mediocre about his resume? He inherited a defense that was ranked 100 or worse in all but one major defensive category and turned it around completely.

No he doesn't have better resume than Marrone. Marrone had NFL experience and was a younger guy who was on a of number of NFL short lists for interviews. Everyone in football knew he would be head coach in the league at some point.

Shafer is a career assistant who only got a sniff at HC because of the timing of Marrone's departure.

Enough, they were both qualified for the job. Marrone was the right hire at the time and Shafer got the job because he earned it for his work here. He's had a rough start because it's been a rough start. First game out of the box on a big stage, NWestern is pretty damn good and Clemson is elite this year. Nothing that has happened so far is a surprise, at least to me, and the real test is the rest of the way. He needs to take care of business at home and find a way to win one of three vs NCSt, GT, and Maryland.

He does that year one is a success. Period.