Very telling and important quote from Clemson OC-Hope Shafer is reading | Syracusefan.com

Very telling and important quote from Clemson OC-Hope Shafer is reading

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
“When you pressure as much as you pressure, you have to be weak somewhere, and you become weak on the back end,” Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris said of Syracuse. “What they showed tonight is exactly what we’ve seen.”

We've got to do a better job of mixing it up-The amount of blitzing has made it too predictable

I think it was probably your best bet. If you don't get pressure on Tajh, the game gets even worse. He can get spastic and feel phantom pressure if you're trying to get him consistently. If you give him an extra second or two each play because you're dropping back some, he would have ripped you for even more.

Tajh likes to get the ball and get rid of the ball fast. If he is rushed, he doesn't always go through his progressions, he runs into sacks, or he makes a harder throw to a more defended receiver because he doesn't go through all of his reads.

Blitzing is fine but keep the receivers in front of you, don't let them run behind you. Give them the underneath stuff, nothing long. That is where we lost.

We also turned into WVU where we had not idea what a TE was. It was like we had never seen a TE before.

my take. seems like for every sack our blitz generates we give up 8 easy first down tosses. tough trade off.

Blitzing is fine but keep the receivers in front of you, don't let them run behind you. Give them the underneath stuff, nothing long. That is where we lost.

We also turned into WVU where we had not idea what a TE was. It was like we had never seen a TE before.
Nobody has been able to keep these receivers in front of them, so don't get too frustrated. The best way to beat us is to get to Tajh, because even the best DBs are at a disadvantage against good WRs.

This has been issue with Shafer's D since he arrived. In college, you can gamble that most QB's can't beat you deep while being pressured. The problem is that the ones who are good enough to stand in there, are going to pick it apart.

I would have rather seen more man on the outside during the blitzes- most of the big plays were against zone coverage.

We almost have to blitz most of the time because our d-backs are so bad.

This has been issue with Shafer's D since he arrived. In college, you can gamble that most QB's can't beat you deep while being pressured. The problem is that the ones who are good enough to stand in there, are going to pick it apart.

I would have rather seen more man on the outside during the blitzes- most of the big plays were against zone coverage.

this right here. i have been saying it all season. at least if you are in man you have a chance. our zone breakdowns basically leave the qb and wr playing pitch and catch

I saw three touchdowns that were completely broken coverages. If you don't cover the receiver at all, it doesn't matter how good he is.

I have never liked zone coverage's. Line up and may the best man win every time.

Give me a lock down corner/safety over a crashing defender who might be little better in the tackling dept.

We had to pick our poison. I actually thought that we would play a nickle most of the game and keep everything in front of us. Make them run the ball dont give up the big play. Im not sure if Shafer has the personality to allow this as he is balls to the wall all the time. On O i have no idea what Kool kid was thinking yesterday . We needed to pound the rock and keep everything in the middle. Still Clemson is legit. They are as good a team as i have seen all year and on any given day they can beat any team out there. Lets hope we get to six wins.

We had to pick our poison. I actually thought that we would play a nickle most of the game and keep everything in front of us. Make them run the ball dont give up the big play. Im not sure if Shafer has the personality to allow this as he is balls to the wall all the time. On O i have no idea what Kool kid was thinking yesterday . We needed to pound the rock and keep everything in the middle. Still Clemson is legit. They are as good a team as i have seen all year and on any given day they can beat any team out there. Lets hope we get to six wins.

even Shafer wasn't as balls to the wall as Bullough seems to be. Plus Shafer always seemed to disguise his blitzes a lot more. Even I can indentify our blitzers and some coverage before the play. Shafer picked his spots much much better, and he had cb's trying to jam the opponents receivers off the line of scrimmage, along with playing much more man coverage. We are now in almost exclusive zone with a good 10 yard cushion. If you allow players like Watkins to get a running start off the line this is what will happen. Before the season all the players were saying how complex the new defense is. I think that complexity may be working against us because I have never seen a team so far out of position in the secondary. These don't seem to be easy fixes either unless the whole scheme changes. I am definitely a bit concerned. I think this NCST game will show us a ton of just what we are dealing with. Hopefully I am wrong.

“When you pressure as much as you pressure, you have to be weak somewhere, and you become weak on the back end,” Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris said of Syracuse. “What they showed tonight is exactly what we’ve seen.”

We've got to do a better job of mixing it up-The amount of blitzing has made it too predictable
I think the issues is that Boyd could make the reads quickly and accurately...and execute. There's only a couple qbs in the country who can do it at a similar level...so how he picks is apart isn't necessarily indicative of the problem. The nw game perhaps was. We'll know a lot more over the next couple weeks.

I think we have some good man-to-man DBs-I think they get confused in the zone. I believe Lyn and Reddish (and possibly Whigham) are quality CBs

This. It looked like our kids were completely out of position and/or didn't know coverage responsibility on every single big play. I'd be shopping for a DB coach right now.

I don't have a problem with the blitzing [although I do agree that it can be dialed back situationally]. I have a bigger problem with our safeties biting on every handoff play fake and perpetually being out of position.

Are you sure Shafer can read? He can't control himself on the sideline. He says the things he used to on the football field or hoops court when he was a kid.

Shafer's blitz package = jb's 2-3 zone. The % is with, but if you find someone who can beat those defenses, it can get ugly.

-

JB's zone won him a National Championship and hundreds of wins, I think it's almost disrespectful to compare Shafer's blitz package to it considering the 2-3 zone has an 80% winning percentage the past 5 years

As Coach Mac said, if you blitz, somebody's band is going to be playing.

I don't know what the secondary was doing. It wasn't anything...man or zone. Utter chaos. It was like there was no practice at ALL before Clemson. Never seen so many breakdowns. Can't have that in Week 5.

even Shafer wasn't as balls to the wall as Bullough seems to be. Plus Shafer always seemed to disguise his blitzes a lot more. Even I can indentify our blitzers and some coverage before the play. Shafer picked his spots much much better, and he had cb's trying to jam the opponents receivers off the line of scrimmage, along with playing much more man coverage. We are now in almost exclusive zone with a good 10 yard cushion. If you allow players like Watkins to get a running start off the line this is what will happen. Before the season all the players were saying how complex the new defense is. I think that complexity may be working against us because I have never seen a team so far out of position in the secondary. These don't seem to be easy fixes either unless the whole scheme changes. I am definitely a bit concerned. I think this NCST game will show us a ton of just what we are dealing with. Hopefully I am wrong.

Great post. Exactly. If we see more of this at NC St then it could be devastating.

I don't have a problem with the blitzing [although I do agree that it can be dialed back situationally]. I have a bigger problem with our safeties biting on every handoff play fake and perpetually being out of position.
This is what I saw as well - even the secondary guys said they didn't do anything they didn't prepare for, our guys just bit on fakes and were out of position because of it, they also got suckered when they used Watkins as a decoy. This is a great skill position team offensively, we could have done better, but we won't be the not team from here on out that this QB makes look silly.

We almost have to blitz most of the time because our d-backs are so bad.

Ironically, these guys were supposed to all be improvements over what we had a few years before - bigger guys, faster guys, supposedly better in all the measurables. I think a good deal of it is coaching. We were getting beat way too easy downfield.