Villanova has taken our rightful spot as.. | Syracusefan.com

Villanova has taken our rightful spot as..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zepharus

Starter
Villanova has benefited greatly from the changes to the BE with the top teams departure to the ACC. They have assumed our rightful spot as the premier northeastern program with their recent success and the NCAA title last year. I had many a friend that hoped Nova won the title game last year and I told them they were insane. Let the UNCs, Dukes, UK and the like win as they are already killing it with recruiting and exposure. They absolute worst thing that could have happened was for another non blue blood school in the northeast to win. If you're a kid now picking between Nova and SU where you going ? This is further detrimental when you consider how important Philly has been to SU. The rise of Nova is directly contributing to the decline of SU. If Nova somehow wins the title again as a repeat we might never recover. Truthfully, we might not recover as it is. that remains to be seen. Im hopeful but not overly optimistic. I think as it stands today, other than monetarily, the ACC has not benefited us. Man do I miss the OBE

3 years ago Villanova was mediocre so it's possible to turn it around.

Why would we fear or blame a program that is 6 hours away for our backslide? UNC doesn't feel the same about Duke or vice versa. If we're a near blue blood program with a hall of fame coach, we shouldn't worry about the status of regional competition. We should be able to welcome it with the belief that we can and should be better without them having to decline.

Villanova recruits guys that will be program guys for all four years and more importantly they haven't had any recruiting busts; everyone contributes. They don't put any pros in the league. The last guy that Nova brought in that had pro "potential" left early, didn't get drafted and may be somewhere overseas. That's when Nova was mediocre and people wanted Wright's head on a platter. Syracuse needs to get back to that with a sprinkle of one and done guys. The busts the last few years have really hurt this program's short-term and long-term health.

My post from earlier was taken down but this post further proves the points I was articulating

we need four year guy recruits, jackson, scoop, souherland, cj fair, etc
Easier said than done to find the ones who will be impactful for three or four seasons, but I think Moyer will turn out to be one of those guys.

we need four year guy recruits, jackson, scoop, souherland, cj fair, etc

Like Rakeem Christmas, Jackson didn't really come on until his senior year. I still remember people giving him a ton of crap for not being a dominant post player in that loss to Butler.

They are a heck of a program. But they will have ups and downs.

We still have the ACC. I think the allure of playing in the ACC and playing Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, Boston College, far outweighs playing in the Big East for a recruit.

At the same time we just need to get better with our recruiting -- get better 4 year players.

Villanova had 2 good seasons and all of a sudden they're the power program in the northeast.

I wouldn't say they've had two good seasons. They've been a very solid program for the last decade plus. The problem with them, until last season, was that they'd always implode in the tournament.

I wouldn't say they've had two good seasons. They've been a very solid program for the last decade plus. The problem with them, until last season, was that they'd always implode in the tournament.

That wasn't meant to discount what they've done before. They've been a very good program under Wright. My point was that hasn't changed in the recent years. They got a title, yes, but that was already in the cards. They didn't all of a sudden become a power in the northeast after or because of the conference moves. And us being down while they happen to be up doesn't make them the defacto king of the northeast. They're very good. They play in a weak (overrated) conference, but they're good. I'll wait to see if they keep it up long term before crowning them 'king in the north'.

Villanova has benefited greatly from the changes to the BE with the top teams departure to the ACC. They have assumed our rightful spot as the premier northeastern program with their recent success and the NCAA title last year. I had many a friend that hoped Nova won the title game last year and I told them they were insane. Let the UNCs, Dukes, UK and the like win as they are already killing it with recruiting and exposure. They absolute worst thing that could have happened was for another non blue blood school in the northeast to win. If you're a kid now picking between Nova and SU where you going ? This is further detrimental when you consider how important Philly has been to SU. The rise of Nova is directly contributing to the decline of SU. If Nova somehow wins the title again as a repeat we might never recover. Truthfully, we might not recover as it is. that remains to be seen. Im hopeful but not overly optimistic. I think as it stands today, other than monetarily, the ACC has not benefited us. Man do I miss the OBE
Big East is basically lame other then 3-4 teams. ACC is the main stage of college basketball. Would you really want to play in current Big East. Most teams aren't even notable on college scene. No, we still will out recruit Nova even with their charismatic coach

Big East is basically lame other then 3-4 teams. ACC is the main stage of college basketball. Would you really want to play in current Big East. Most teams aren't even notable on college scene. No, we still will out recruit Nova even with their charismatic coach
NO but the BE just got 7 teams in... comparatively that is respect vs the ACCs 9. The reshuffling of the BE and the title, left Nova to be the Alpha dog in the East. That is bad for any northeast program any way you slice it

Villanova recruits guys that will be program guys for all four years and more importantly they haven't had any recruiting busts; everyone contributes. They don't put any pros in the league. The last guy that Nova brought in that had pro "potential" left early, didn't get drafted and may be somewhere overseas. That's when Nova was mediocre and people wanted Wright's head on a platter. Syracuse needs to get back to that with a sprinkle of one and done guys. The busts the last few years have really hurt this program's short-term and long-term health.
We've tried to do that with a number of guys. Ennis, Malachi, Grant etc. were all supposed to be 3-4 year guys. Throw in the guys that transferred out because they were recruited over with someone that left early and you get our roster. I suppose we need to recruit guys with great skill but lacking in NBA physique, but that isn't the type of guy that fits the zone.

How is 'Nova's football team doing in their huge payout P5 conference? ;)
"Other than monetarily" - there IS no other.

If your'e a kid picking between SU and 'Nova, apparently you now go to Miami. :p

UConn has won the NC 2x in the past decade - how's that working out for them now?
They're totally dominating the NE now, right? :rolleyes:

The old BE is dead, and has been for a LONG time.
Get over it. Move on.

We've tried to do that with a number of guys. Ennis, Malachi, Grant etc. were all supposed to be 3-4 year guys. Throw in the guys that transferred out because they were recruited over with someone that left early and you get our roster. I suppose we need to recruit guys with great skill but lacking in NBA physique, but that isn't the type of guy that fits the zone.

Malachi was a top 25 player when he came in. I didn't see him as a four year guy; three at the most plus he was older than the rest of his class. Ennis and Grant were definitely 3-4 year guys. Ennis got bad advice and left early following the 25-0 start. Grant's people felt his ceiling had been reached here. At least he's been a serviceable NBA player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom