Villanova | Syracusefan.com

Villanova

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadNY3

All American
They are playing college basketball to the finest.

Clear system in place, rotate players in, their version of Dion killing it with a sharpshooter (Bridges) and bigs they shoot and rebound relentlessly.

As a fan of the sport, mad respect for what Villanova has built. Fun to watch. Combining the mentality of mid-major with P5 culture/execution. Well deserved national championship.

I mean they took like one or two possessions off all game. Aggressive both sides whole game. Definitely their version of Dion but I’d argue he’s pretty close to Dion’s talent level actually. Incredible all-around game that kid has. The passes, handle, the LBJ-esque blocks.

I'm no fan of Villanova, but they've assembled an unbelievable amount of talent that has fully bought into their system.

I used to think that they were finely tuned back in the Randy Foye / Allen Ray days, but Wright has taken this to another level.

I'm no fan of Villanova, but they've assembled an unbelievable amount of talent that has fully bought into their system.

I used to think that they were finely tuned back in the Randy Foye / Allen Ray days, but Wright has taken this to another level.

Yup. They have some pros as well on this team. The system/style is impeccable and he finds the right guys for it.

I hate Nova, can't stand Philadelphia sports, but they are the envy of every college bball fan right now. Never would have imagined they were capable of this, even 3 years ago.

DZ1DNrUW4AACRNy.jpg

And their 7th guy Gillespie is exactly another type you want. Smart, capable shooter, good defender. Had some tough rebounds. Looks 12 years old but he also gets it done in his limited minutes relative to their main 6.

It seems uconn, SU, gtown, st john, pitt, louisville loss is directly Villanovas gain...

Jay Wright always had the guard oriented blueprint as his trademark. Nova was running a Golden State Warriors-like offense long before anyone else. GuArd heavy emphasis w/ interchangeable parts all over the court, and a serviceable big in the middle- that’s the Nova way.
We used to laugh at that system but it’s now the trend on all levels of the sport. Turns out Wright was a visionary and ahead of his time. Good thing i can tolerate them, cause it looks like they’ll be around for a long while.

Jay Wright always had the guard oriented blueprint as his trademark. Nova was running a Golden State Warriors-like offense long before anyone else. GuArd heavy emphasis w/ interchangeable parts all over the court, and a serviceable big in the middle- that’s the Nova way.
We used to laugh at that system but it’s now the trend on all levels of the sport. Turns out Wright was a visionary and ahead of his time. Good thing i can tolerate them, cause it looks like they’ll be around for a long while.

They can play any style as well. If I’m Boeheim at the F4 I’m crapping my pants watching and thinking, “I gotta get some players (gulp).”

It seems uconn, SU, gtown, st john, pitt, louisville loss is directly Villanovas gain...

I don't believe the Hoyas or the Johnnies belong in the above list. Nova was better than both of those programs in the Big East of 2005-06 through 2012-13 and all three are currently in the nnnnBE. A case can be made that Nova benefited by the loss of not having to compete with the likes of UConn, SU, Pitt, and Louisville in the same conference while UConn has been severely damaged by not making it into the ACC, Pitt finding it hard to compete in the ACC, SU a touch of what Pitt has experienced but probably more crippled by sanctions, and Louisville similar to SU and now also will be crippled by sanctions.

Read over on the Boneyard where someone stated that Nova's third NC doesn't change the fact they are still behind the Huskies. This is true in terms of number of NCs (4>3), but if this particular fan believes UConn is still ahead of Nova in terms of Elite bb programs pecking order, then, imho, they are wrong or at worse a homer. I give the slight edge to Nova now.

In either case, both are ahead of our beloved Orange, at least until we capture a 2nd NC.

Cheers,
Neil

You start to get better when you accept that another program has passed you.

Nova has passed us. They are an elite program.

Who is our next coach? We can't get trapped in the "JB is a HOF coach" mentality.

How do we replace him? That conversation should start now.

Status
Not open for further replies.