Virginia Game Thread... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game Thread...

Really interested to see the replay on the "over & back" non-call early in our last possession after we threw a pass away. The ball clearly crossed the midfield line but it looked to me like it hit only the UVA middie & bounced back over. We didn't get a few push calls but also got a really cheap one on Solomon in front of the net. We benefitted from 2 missed endline possession calls, one where UVA goalie actually had the backup & another when Molloy actually did not. I'm also not sure how Solomon wasn't whistled for a crease violation on his goal...it was no different than the 2 Bomberry was called for without scoring. Was is because the ball was already in the back of the net before his momentum took him in??

Madonna is a 2nd All American transfer from D2 Merrimack. Might be time to give him a look against St. John's.
I thought Molloy was fine. Not many goalies, if any, are going to stop Conrad & Aitken ripping wide open from the middle of the field. Their shot placement/velocity is just too good. Molloy also had many very impressive long clears, 2 of which directly led to goals.

I'm well aware of Madonna, been following him since he was a Frosh starter at Liverpool HS. He's looked good in scrimmages & limited mop-up duty but I'm not sure I'd consider D2 2nd team AA to be "all everything".

I work Sunday mornings and didn't start watching until we were down 10-5, so I saw a 9-3 SU victory. Maybe I should take credit for the win. (But I still could see the deficit on ground balls).

Madonna is a 2nd All American transfer from D2 Merrimack. Might be time to give him a look against St. John's.
Sorry, but pick a goalie and stick with him. SU has played musical goalies for the last four or five years. It doesn't work in the long run of a season. Gotta let them have bad days and recover. If the back up should be starting then it will be obvious in practice and you can make a change. I just hate flip flopping around, it doesn't work.

He's looked good in scrimmages & limited mop-up duty but I'm not sure I'd consider D2 2nd team AA to be "all everything".

The all everything refers to all his various conference accolades at Merrimack.

How long did we make excuses for Hill last year? The leash is not that long this year since the ACC lost the AQ. Two bad games in a row. Army wasn't great, and make all the excuses for him you want to, today wasn't very good either. Far too many outside goals with pretty much minimal to zero reaction from him.

The all everything refers to all his various conference accolades at Merrimack.

How long did we make excuses for Hill last year? The leash is not that long this year since the ACC lost the AQ. Two bad games in a row. Army wasn't great, and make all the excuses for him you want to, today wasn't very good either. Far too many outside goals with pretty much minimal to zero reaction from him.
I thought Evan was really good in goal today, he made a couple nice saves on the doorstep too. I liked what I saw but admittedly did not watch the whole game.

Molloy was ok. But he let up too many "must have" saves last week and today.

To be fair the blame has to be spread around. Out ground balled, bad defense, slow offense, didn't dominate the X. The team needs to improve everywhere.

As for the goalie position, to be successful at the level SU plays at the goalie has to be able to make some tough saves to keep you in the game when mistakes get made. If 10 out of 13 of UVA's goals were right on the porch I would have nothing to say. But, that wasn't the case today and it wasn't last week either. If he has another so so game, might be time to consider a switch. That goes for some of the other positions too, especially D. Can't let teams get easy looks early in the game and play from behind.

Don't forget, they can't drop a game here and there, won just enough to be on the top 4 of the ACC and then win two in a row to guarantee a spot on the dance. ACC lost their AQ so to some extent, the ACC tournament doesn't have the same impact it did last year. The leash is shorter. Each loss hurts a little more this year. Today they were able to buckle down in the last 5 min and pulled off a squeaker. Go Cuse.

Really interested to see the replay on the "over & back" non-call early in our last possession after we threw a pass away. The ball clearly crossed the midfield line but it looked to me like it hit only the UVA middie & bounced back over. We didn't get a few push calls but also got a really cheap one on Solomon in front of the net. We benefitted from 2 missed endline possession calls, one where UVA goalie actually had the backup & another when Molloy actually did not. I'm also not sure how Solomon wasn't whistled for a crease violation on his goal...it was no different than the 2 Bomberry was called for without scoring. Was is because the ball was already in the back of the net before his momentum took him in??
Yes. You can't leave your feet and land in the crease, but you can fall into the crease, as long as the ball crosses the goalline first.

We had you and then your team fought its way back. "Typical" UVa-SU game. :(

We own a one goal lead after 27 games.

The future looks bright for UVA, and at least one team will be playing the game the right way. I hope we can keep up with you.

I wonder if UVA fans are talking about benching their goalie. He gave up 14 and I thought he was great.

I thought our defense was pretty weak today and they sure didn't help the goalie much,especially the mids, but I'll say it till I'm blue in the face. I don't need my goalie (nor rely on him) to win games, I need my offense to win games and that's what they did today.

We had you and then your team fought its way back. "Typical" UVa-SU game. :(
If Matt Moore is as good as advertised, add him to Aitken & Conrad & we may be talking about an all-time great mid-line in 2 years, if not next year. Throw in Kraus & UVA should be back to the Final Four very soon, but you already know this ;) Conrad has such a nasty split-dodge & the goal he scored to answer off the FO wing was just "man amongst boys"...as a Soph.

Great game and a lot to learn from this game!

Calls didn't go our way we had two platent pushes on Cunningham and Evans - no calls!
Cunningham played well and deserves credit after being pulled in the last few weeks, he has battled through and did the best job on Kraus although we tried others guarding him, he came up with some key plays and did much better getting through picks!
Def man down team did a great job after the first quarter they really dug in!
Unsung Hero - Paolo Ciferri he made two crucial Plays winning a possession on the back line and also getting his pass off before getting hit for Lanes goal. Although he has been blamed for a few goals on the board he didn't get any help from slides and was left on an island.
This game was always going to be about the offence and the Cuse def made less impact last night, also Molloy took some brutal shots from UVAs young guns Kraus, Aitken and Conrad, not much Molloy could do!
Man Up - Voight played poorly last night and think we should look at Shewell again inside he may not be in shape etc but doesn't care who he is playing and finishes with confidence.
Williams Played well after coming back from injury and has over taken the great Joel White as GB King!
Helmer made a few mistakes last night allowing Conrad to get away on the break and score, I think he may work out better at straight and we should
give the rangier and faster Swigart the back up LSM position back.
I noticed Schwasnick back on the wing again instead of Cal as predicted last week.
Great to see Trimboli and Dearth score!
With injuries depth is going to be a factor towards the end of the year!

Last edited:
We only took 88 shots between us. Quint says that's not enough. ;)
Wonder why Quint isn't making those same comments about UNC vs Denver (77 Shots) or Notre Dame vs Maryland (50 Shots)

Great game and a lot to learn from this game!

Calls didn't go our way we had two platent pushes on Cunningham and Evans - no calls!
Cunningham played well and deserves credit after being pulled in the last few weeks, he has battled through and did the best job on Kraus although we tried others guarding him, he came up with some key plays and did much better getting through picks!
Def man down team did a great job after the first quarter they really dug in!
Unsung Hero - Paolo Ciferri he made two crucial Plays winning a possession on the back line and also getting his pass off before getting hit for Lanes goal. Although he has been blamed for a few goals on the board he didn't get any help from slides and was left on an island.
This game was always going to be about the offence and the Cuse def made less impact last night, also Molloy took some brutal shots from UVAs young guns Kraus, Aitken and Conrad, not much Molloy could do!
Man Up - Voight played poorly last night and think we should look at Shewell again inside he may not be in shape etc but doesn't care who he is playing and finishes with confidence.
Williams Played well after coming back from injury and has over taken the great Joel White as GB King!
Helmer made a few mistakes last night allowing Conrad to get away on the break and score, I think he may work out better at straight and we should
give the rangier and faster Swigart the back up LSM position back.
I noticed Schwasnick back on the wing again instead of Cal as predicted last week.
Great to see Trimboli and Dearth score!
With injuries depth is going to be a factor towards the end of the year!

Agree that the man down unit really dug in and played well after the first. Would also like to see Shewell or Rehfuss moved to man up as Voigt just looked lost out there. He seems focused on not making a mistake as opposed to creating and attacking. I think this D is going to be a work in progress all year given the injuries and youth. We can't keep giving up big leads and expecting to mount the superhuman come back. Bring on the Johnnies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom