Virginia Game... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game...

I thought Seebold played very well save for that late stuff shot when SU was up 3, he has to finish that, period.

My comment was more in regards to looking ahead to ND and the tournament. That was an excellent win but only scoring 13 goals despite winning 88% at the dot and a massive shooting advantage is troubling. My point on Seebold was that SU seems determined to keep running that 2nd mid line a Lot despite being down 2 guys. If that's the case let Ferris get some run at attack and Seebold get run at middie say once a quarter. Keeps Seebold on the field and let's Ferris play his natural position. I am a big Ferris guy but at middie he's mostly a threat inverting, we need a shooter out there with Quinn. I agree Cook should be the one we replace but Desko refuses for some reason despite him being a non factor. Magnan and Fiorini or whoever the next best shooter is should get a look over Cook.

I mentioned Berkman because Desko noted he has looked well in practice and perhaps we can get him some runs as the 4th attack, again this would free up Seebold for 2nd line mid runs strengthening that unit. Berkman is very much a qb type attackmen but it is late in the season to try and turn to him. That said maybe 2-3 runs a game from him wouldn't be the worst thing, try and find that matchup we can exploit on a game by game basis. Su doesn't really have that alpha scorer so mixing things up a bit and forcing Defenses to try and defend all over the field is our best bet.

Id love to see Ferris at attack but I think he’s a lefty and that won’t work with Rhefuss and Hiltz. A worry for the second line I have is what happens when teams realize you should put the pole on Quinn and not Cook? Maybe then you bump Cook to attack and move and Seebold to mid, but the defense might keep the same matchups regardless of position.

It looked like the first line was getting two runs for ever one run for the second line, so all in all not a lot of run for the twos. In games when you win that many faceoffs you have to run two lines, but if they struggle at the dot, then maybe the ones will see a majority of the runs going forward. Quinn has been solid this season.

I must be in the minority, but I don't get the dissatisfaction with a very wounded offense and the idea the SU should experiment with players in the midst of hurricane of losses. Did anyone see what I saw yesterday. The offense was playing with determination and assertiveness. If one move did not work, then Trimboli kept pushing until his hands were free. He seemed to lead the whole offense to go another step, another move, another pass, another dive for the ball. I was startled by the resilience of the whole team. I've been through some rough athletic periods after which I did not come close to the spirit SU showed yesterday.

Even the new guys on defense, Horan and Alexxa, were lifted by this spirit, personified by a goalie who made some terrific stops. Ferris looked absolutely lost most of his shifts. He is not ready for more in my opinion. But ok, the team may need him in the ND game. Seebold was very impressive in a tough situation. In an earlier post, I suggested that no one could replace Scanlan. Seebold proved me wrong. What really bothers me is that it seems to take a debacle to move this team.

When Phaup dominates, SU plays with brutal efficiency, when he doesn't they fold. Against ND, wing play should be bare knuckle. I would be personally insulted if that freshman FOGO gives the ball to ND more than 50% of the time. Yeah, I know, who cares.

Absolutely! Syracuse just beat a top 5 team on the road down three starters and two more regulars. That’s pretty awesome.

I thought Seebold played very well save for that late stuff shot when SU was up 3, he has to finish that, period.

My comment was more in regards to looking ahead to ND and the tournament. That was an excellent win but only scoring 13 goals despite winning 88% at the dot and a massive shooting advantage is troubling. My point on Seebold was that SU seems determined to keep running that 2nd mid line a Lot despite being down 2 guys. If that's the case let Ferris get some run at attack and Seebold get run at middie say once a quarter. Keeps Seebold on the field and let's Ferris play his natural position. I am a big Ferris guy but at middie he's mostly a threat inverting, we need a shooter out there with Quinn. I agree Cook should be the one we replace but Desko refuses for some reason despite him being a non factor. Magnan and Fiorini or whoever the next best shooter is should get a look over Cook.

I mentioned Berkman because Desko noted he has looked well in practice and perhaps we can get him some runs as the 4th attack, again this would free up Seebold for 2nd line mid runs strengthening that unit. Berkman is very much a qb type attackmen but it is late in the season to try and turn to him. That said maybe 2-3 runs a game from him wouldn't be the worst thing, try and find that matchup we can exploit on a game by game basis. Su doesn't really have that alpha scorer so mixing things up a bit and forcing Defenses to try and defend all over the field is our best bet.
I agree with this completely Jeremy... I have always been at odds with the conventional thinking in lacrosse in terms of the number of players that see the field. I'm not singling out Syracuse or our coaches. From high school on up you will see players ride the bench and get zero minutes that often are equal to or just a hair behind SOME of the kids getting the PT. Then injuries. Then a transfer. Starters get complacent, kids not seeing the field lose confidence and get frustrated. So many coaches set a number of kids that see the field and it's like religion - that number can't be violated. Get kids minutes - the team will end up benefiting if it's done correctly!!!

not to mention players get tired throughout the game, regardless of how good a shape they're in. that means tired for rides, shot's off by a hair, don't move your feet - pass is off mark, gbs, get beat by or can't get a half step. it matters.

Going back and watching the 1st half that I had initially missed Saturday, 2 things stood out to me that were certainly missing the past few weeks:
- First I think Trimboli looked the best he has all season, just seemed like he was much more comfortable and assertive than I've seen this season.
- Second was the ability of the wings to help Phaup out and particularly Kennedy pushing transition. He looked a little possessed every time he got the ball and I mean that in a good way. I'd love to see them push the ball when it's there to try to generate some easy goals. That 2nd quarter goal by Hiltz that came on the break from Dearth to Barlow to Seebold to Hiltz was a thing of beauty!

I agree with this completely Jeremy... I have always been at odds with the conventional thinking in lacrosse in terms of the number of players that see the field. I'm not singling out Syracuse or our coaches. From high school on up you will see players ride the bench and get zero minutes that often are equal to or just a hair behind SOME of the kids getting the PT. Then injuries. Then a transfer. Starters get complacent, kids not seeing the field lose confidence and get frustrated. So many coaches set a number of kids that see the field and it's like religion - that number can't be violated. Get kids minutes - the team will end up benefiting if it's done correctly!!!
"Back in the Day" when middies went both ways, the 1st and 2nd midfields played the bulk of the game, but the 3rd midfield (does anybody have one now?) was pretty much guaranteed to see the field at least once, maybe more.

"Back in the Day" when middies went both ways, the 1st and 2nd midfields played the bulk of the game, but the 3rd midfield (does anybody have one now?) was pretty much guaranteed to see the field at least once, maybe more.

And those minutes the 3rds got made them HUNGRY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom