Virginia Game... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game...

I don't know if Nichtern played or not, but against Lehigh he looked hurt--not moving, not part of the offense. Army needs Nichtern to drive the bus.

I don't know if Nichtern played or not, but against Lehigh he looked hurt--not moving, not part of the offense. Army needs Nichtern to drive the bus.
He played but was a non factor with 0 points

Which upset was most surprising?

Cuse over UVA
37.8%

Navy over Army
32.8%

Bing over UVM
29.4%

Phaup had a great bounceback performance, but he got lots of help from his wings. SU won 24 faceoffs; Phaup had 9 GB's.

Well the main reason it’s less worrisome is that UVA has looked like an elite team down the stretch. They beat ND and UNC who humiliated us. It’s a bounce back in a big way based on that alone. Then you add we were missing three key defenders and a starting attack for the first time. Any win no matter how it goes down is a major bounce back given the circumstances.
Can’t argue about the bounce back or any of your points, but I still ask- how does any of this position us well for ND when we’ll likely possess the ball 1/2 as much time as we did today?

Can’t argue about the bounce back or any of your points, but I still ask- how does any of this position us well for ND when we’ll likely possess the ball 1/2 as much time as we did today?
I guess we'll have to play the game and see.

Who thought we'd win today's game, and hold a 5 goal lead with 9 minutes to play? Things happen. Huge change came about in the program this week. Maybe we're on the verge of turning things around. Maybe we revert to the last few games. Can't really assume either, IMO.
1619310243972.gif

I guess we'll have to play the game and see.

Who thought we'd win today's game, and hold a 5 goal lead with 9 minutes to play? Things happen. Huge change came about in the program this week. Maybe we're on the verge of turning things around. Maybe we revert to the last few games. Can't really assume either, IMO. View attachment 200293

Correct. The mighty Duke Blue Devils won almost all the faceoffs in their matchup with the Orange, yet Syracuse was in really good position (better than the Cavs today) to win that game. Faceoffs are only one part of the game.

Correct. The mighty Duke Blue Devils won almost all the faceoffs in their matchup with the Orange, yet Syracuse was in really good position (better than the Cavs today) to win that game. Faceoffs are only one part of the game.
Our wings were good today. If Phaup, etal. can avoid clean losses, the possession game would be a standoff.

Huge win and exciting win. Phaup obviously just owns LaSalla, there's no other explanation.

Defense was good despite being shorthanded. Olexxo seems to be a good player. He committed a bad turnover, but looks like a solid athlete. Dami and Aviles need to be back for ND.

Offense was solid, but still feel like they haven't fully clicked yet. I know it sounds crazy, but they turn the ball over a lot. I don't think they've put together a complete game all season yet.

Offensively we need more help. Buttermore and Scanlan are big losses. Really hope we work in Berkman and another middie this week. Worry about this offense being able to score enough moving forward

Agreed, I'd like to see some fresh blood out there. Like Ferris getting some run but hes an attackmen. Would like to see him run some attack and bump Seebold back to middie for a few runs. Berkman should get some runs at attack to. To bad Birtwistle and Tenaglia were hurt, they could have made an impact

Agree with you on almost everything Jeremy, but saw things a bit differently. Lots of pressure on Seebold to replace the teams leading scorer and he responded with a four point output, that’s massive. He got stuffed a few times coming from x but I really liked his aggressiveness. He could have come out and been scared to make mistakes, but he he delivered for the most part. I agree with the poster that the offense makes more sense having two dodgers on attack, rather than two finishers. Rhefuss had a tough day shooting the ball but that rarely happens. Hiltz got going again which was really good to see as well.

As for the other pieces, I think for the most part guys played pretty well, the first line struggled a bit, but again, that happens. They played significantly more minutes than the second line which was I thought was interesting, feels like that will be the strategy going forward. Yes you want to have depth in May, but if they are the “best midfield in the country” they should be seeing more time. The second line was quiet outside of Quinn, but at least Cook kept the long pole off him so he could match up with a shortie. And I may be Liam Ferris’s biggest fan, but I’d like to see him get more time with the second line and it sounds like he will based on what Desko said post game. If I had one critique it’s that I wish he got moving a bit faster, seems he holds on to the ball for long stretches without doing much.

I really don’t think adding Berkman to the equation will solve much, he hasn’t seen any significant minutes in his career and throwing him in for the stretch run seems really risky. He hasn’t jumped out to me when he has played, though I know that’s harsh to grade someone in mop up minutes. Would grant you that I’d like to see another pure midfielder added to the second line, but I’d replace Cook and not Ferris. Don’t see that happening at this point of the season though.

Anyways, long post but I think we need to give this lineup some time, there simply isn’t time left for tinkering. Also the answer can’t always be to replace guys if things don’t look the best, players have off days and time should be give to adjust. Again they had a massive loss when Scanlan got suspended, I think they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt. I’d love for the offense to be more consistent but they won’t get there at this point if the personnel keeps changing.

Agree with you on almost everything Jeremy, but saw things a bit differently. Lots of pressure on Seebold to replace the teams leading scorer and he responded with a four point output, that’s massive. He got stuffed a few times coming from x but I really liked his aggressiveness. He could have come out and been scared to make mistakes, but he he delivered for the most part. I agree with the poster that the offense makes more sense having two dodgers on attack, rather than two finishers. Rhefuss had a tough day shooting the ball but that rarely happens. Hiltz got going again which was really good to see as well.

As for the other pieces, I think for the most part guys played pretty well, the first line struggled a bit, but again, that happens. They played significantly more minutes than the second line which was I thought was interesting, feels like that will be the strategy going forward. Yes you want to have depth in May, but if they are the “best midfield in the country” they should be seeing more time. The second line was quiet outside of Quinn, but at least Cook kept the long pole off him so he could match up with a shortie. And I may be Liam Ferris’s biggest fan, but I’d like to see him get more time with the second line and it sounds like he will based on what Desko said post game. If I had one critique it’s that I wish he got moving a bit faster, seems he holds on to the ball for long stretches without doing much.

I really don’t think adding Berkman to the equation will solve much, he hasn’t seen any significant minutes in his career and throwing him in for the stretch run seems really risky. He hasn’t jumped out to me when he has played, though I know that’s harsh to grade someone in mop up minutes. Would grant you that I’d like to see another pure midfielder added to the second line, but I’d replace Cook and not Ferris. Don’t see that happening at this point of the season though.

Anyways, long post but I think we need to give this lineup some time, there simply isn’t time left for tinkering. Also the answer can’t always be to replace guys if things don’t look the best, players have off days and time should be give to adjust. Again they had a massive loss when Scanlan got suspended, I think they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt. I’d love for the offense to be more consistent but they won’t get there at this point if the personnel keeps changing.
It did seem like Rehfuss had an off day, but. . . 2 & 1 is not a bad line.

I thought Seebold played very well save for that late stuff shot when SU was up 3, he has to finish that, period.

My comment was more in regards to looking ahead to ND and the tournament. That was an excellent win but only scoring 13 goals despite winning 88% at the dot and a massive shooting advantage is troubling. My point on Seebold was that SU seems determined to keep running that 2nd mid line a Lot despite being down 2 guys. If that's the case let Ferris get some run at attack and Seebold get run at middie say once a quarter. Keeps Seebold on the field and let's Ferris play his natural position. I am a big Ferris guy but at middie he's mostly a threat inverting, we need a shooter out there with Quinn. I agree Cook should be the one we replace but Desko refuses for some reason despite him being a non factor. Magnan and Fiorini or whoever the next best shooter is should get a look over Cook.

I mentioned Berkman because Desko noted he has looked well in practice and perhaps we can get him some runs as the 4th attack, again this would free up Seebold for 2nd line mid runs strengthening that unit. Berkman is very much a qb type attackmen but it is late in the season to try and turn to him. That said maybe 2-3 runs a game from him wouldn't be the worst thing, try and find that matchup we can exploit on a game by game basis. Su doesn't really have that alpha scorer so mixing things up a bit and forcing Defenses to try and defend all over the field is our best bet.

It did seem like Rehfuss had an off day, but. . . 2 & 1 is not a bad line.

Rehfuss is drawing every teams top defender, and a quick slide he's gonna struggle to put up big numbers against the elite teams.

The team pulled together to overcome the loss of Scanlon or felt the elephant left the room.

I thought the Attack was more aggressive and better-connected. They just meshed better. I hope it continues.

Of course, having much more possession helps.

Would have been 3 & 1, if he wore smaller shoes. :rolleyes:
I think Rehfuss caught Virginia by surprise in the first game; he's not catching anyone by surprise now. As another poster said, he's going to draw the the best pole the rest of the way. Offensive plans for the rest of the season will have to assume that. Do build a scheme to get him a switch or use him as a decoy to pull folks away from the crease? I'm curious what the more knowledgeable folks on this thread think.

I must be in the minority, but I don't get the dissatisfaction with a very wounded offense and the idea the SU should experiment with players in the midst of hurricane of losses. Did anyone see what I saw yesterday. The offense was playing with determination and assertiveness. If one move did not work, then Trimboli kept pushing until his hands were free. He seemed to lead the whole offense to go another step, another move, another pass, another dive for the ball. I was startled by the resilience of the whole team. I've been through some rough athletic periods after which I did not come close to the spirit SU showed yesterday.

Even the new guys on defense, Horan and Alexxa, were lifted by this spirit, personified by a goalie who made some terrific stops. Ferris looked absolutely lost most of his shifts. He is not ready for more in my opinion. But ok, the team may need him in the ND game. Seebold was very impressive in a tough situation. In an earlier post, I suggested that no one could replace Scanlan. Seebold proved me wrong. What really bothers me is that it seems to take a debacle to move this team.

When Phaup dominates, SU plays with brutal efficiency, when he doesn't they fold. Against ND, wing play should be bare knuckle. I would be personally insulted if that freshman FOGO gives the ball to ND more than 50% of the time. Yeah, I know, who cares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom