Virginia Gameday... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Gameday...

Nunes got hot, shot selection was fine. The only one I wanted back was Hiltz sidearm shot 5 yards out in front of the cage. Over hand there and its goal.
That was maddening. The UVA defender collided with Nunes as he scrambled back to the goal only to have Hiltz miss wide trying to snipe a corner.

well they least almost came even in the gb battle as uva had 42 gbs and cuse had 41gbs. Believe uva has been top in gbs for while now even last few years. Team def kicked it up a notch today n need to continue that. Once again limit the unforced turnovers and bury open looks this team can go far.

well they least almost came even in the gb battle as uva had 42 gbs and cuse had 41gbs. Believe uva has been top in gbs for while now even last few years. Team def kicked it up a notch today n need to continue that. Once again limit the unforced turnovers and bury open looks this team can go far.
I think the Orange were better off the ground today than they have been in years.

They did not give up on plays. If UVa got possession after a scrum, our guys kept after the Hoos to get it back. And they often did.

[If they match up again, they need to find a better way to cover Shellenberger. :)]

Side note, back to Paul am I the only one surprised he wasn’t already retired in the rafters ?
SU Athletics makes some weird ceremony choices. Would have made sense to honor Paul and Gary together. It is nice that Paul did get the spotlight today. So I take it back! I am torn. Will the 3 powell brothers have their jerseys honored together?

SU Athletics makes some weird ceremony choices. Would have made sense to honor Paul and Gary together. It is nice that Paul did get the spotlight today. So I take it back! I am torn. Will the 3 powell brothers have their jerseys honored together?

Since they honored Mikey a few years ago, all signs point to No.

Had to listen on the radio. Kyle and Tim were giving Nunes a lot of kudos for his play in the second half and looking here I saw a lot of comments about shot selection. Not sure what to think as I trust the judgment of many posters here will have to re-watch..

Glad they never gave up. The 2 minute penalty with the 3 goal lead could have led to disaster but the Orange held tight.

What an old-school game. Go orange!

Nunes played much better in the 2nd half, had a few major saves

the effort the team showed today getting after ground balls, riding and being physical was something I haven't seen from a syracuse team in years. they really got after it today on the GBs.

Last week I said all 18-23 year olds are “idiots”. Today our team came out with shirts honoring two policemen that were gunned down past week. In a college atmosphere where it’s mind boggling to support law enforcement these kids are mature beyond their years. Couldn’t be more proud of these kids. I’m the idiot. Unbelievable win.

So can Gait coach now? Confused
Or maybe he just finally started to read this message board?! I literally asked for this change way back after the Maryland game, but it wasn’t until the end of the 4th quarter of the last regular season game that he FINALLY did it. He put Leo at attack (took Mule off the field!), got Rhoa on the 1st line middie, and this let two of our 1st line middies go against short sticks! That’s when the game changed. This is what we should have been doing all season long and what we should continue to do going forward. He was not going to let this team lose on the day honoring his brother. Hiltz was Great, and he’s the one that can carry this team back to the Final Four. Hiltz is our #22!… Spallina is just not. Go ‘Cuse!!

Last edited:
Or maybe he just finally started to read this message board?! I literally asked for this change way back after the Maryland game, but it wasn’t until the end of the 4th quarter of the last regular season game that he FINALLY did it. He put Leo at attack (took Mule off the field!), got Rhoa on the 1st line middie, and this let two of our 1st line middies go against short sticks! That’s when the game changed. This is what we should have been doing all season long and what we should continue to do going forward. He was not going to let this team lose on the day honoring his brother. Go ‘Cuse!!
Beg to differ... what changed was the inside box game of English/Thomson late in game. Maybe Gait but maybe March made that call. Cavs D couldn't stop those two when it mattered.

And oh, a reminder, Mule had a hat trick yesterday.

The WHOLE team played good. Joey clearly had bad night but did make some big plays picking up gbs and riding. This team finally gave heart and loads of it. They did not quit and went all out. Also seem gait played few more guys thru out game also i’m sure helped. As schmitch got run other spallina was playing decent amount. In these big games specially as fast paced as was have to play few more guys keeping legs fresh. Just total and amazing job by both. Let’s keep it rolling. Win acc tounry and possibly to get even top 1-2 seed then.

Beg to differ... what changed was the inside box game of English/Thomson late in game. Maybe Gait but maybe March made that call. Cavs D couldn't stop those two when it mattered.

And oh, a reminder, Mule had a hat trick yesterday. English/Thomson/Stevens were
What does that even mean? Did English and Thomson not have their box skills in the 1st 3 quarters? They were better able to use their box skills in the late 4th because they were going against short stick defenders, and why was that? It’s because Leo was on attack, and there’s no way a team is going to put a shortie on Leo on attack. It’s pathetic that one of our attackman has been guarded all season by a shortie, so I agree that Mule has had a few good games (and he he’s a good finisher with good vision), but he’s hurting us more then he’s helping us. Even if Spallina did nothing yesterday, at least he drew a long stick defender. For a team that doesn’t have a lot of dodgers, freeing up the few of our middies that can dodge to go against a SSDM is huge! Whatever, like you said, agree to disagree

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom