Class of 2024 - Visitors taking Official Visits to SU 12/8/23 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 Visitors taking Official Visits to SU 12/8/23

No I think they're right. His composite didn't drop. It was his 247 rating. I'm seem to recall he was a 4-star 90 rating when I first looked him up under A&Ms kids.
I'm guessing you likely saw his 5.8 4 star grade on rivals as you said you were using that one. He's still 4 stars over there.

Last edited:
Re Hornsby:

Only Rivals has him as a 4 star. The media will refer to kids that are graded a 4 star at one site, multiple sites or all the sites as a 4 star. Which is fair and I do it too but I think it confuses people when they hear that and see him as a 3 at maybe a site they primarily look at.

DE KingJoseph Edwards - Georgia - 4-star 5.8 / 4-star 90
(O) Ole Miss, FSU, Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Duke Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Louisville, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, Ohio State, Tennessee, South Carolina, USC

WR Jaylan Hornsby - New Jersey - 4-star 5.8 / 3-star 88 (aTm verbal)
(O) Boston College, Duke, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina State, Notre Dame, Oregon, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Wisconsin

S/CB Koy Beasley - Ohio - 4-star 5.8 / 4-star 92 (Purdue verbal)
(O) Arkansas, Boston College, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Texas A&M, USC, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Wisconsin

WR Emanuel Ross - New Jersey - 3-star 5.7 / 3-star 88 (Stanford verbal)
(O) Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, UCF, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wake Forest, West Virginia

CB Josh Philostin - Florida - 3-star 5.7 / 3-star 89 (Indiana verbal)
(O) Arkansas, Duke, Illinois, Iowa, Louisville, Maryland, Miami (FL), Minnesota, Mississippi, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Rutgers, Texas A&M, UCF Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Wisconsin

CB Marcellus Barnes Jr. - Tennessee - 3-Star 5.7 / 3-star 88 (Virginia Tech decommitment)
(O) Baylor, Florida State, Georgia, Michigan State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wake Forest

Will update visits as publicly confirmed

I was told this wouldn't work. These players combined have more than 100 offers from power 5 schools and many of the "factories".

It's a shame Coach Brown also seems to have "zero understanding of how Syracuse football needs to operate."

I'm glad Coach Brown isn't afraid to at least try.

Recruiting, NIL and the portal go hand in hand.

We need to go after bigger fish. I think we can go head-to-head with some of the big programs; SU is a good university, we can offer an opportunity to play early, you will get good exposure playing against ACC teams, we run a clean program and we do put players in the league. No, we are not going to win every recruiting battle. But do you really believe we can't win one out of ten? The problem is we aren't even offering those players.

The portal is so active. There's a good chance some of those players you took a shot on and lost when the kid came out of high school will be in the portal. If you build a positive relationship with those kids, you will have an advantage when those players hit the portal. Plant seeds and play the long game. Sell the school, not the coach. The school will always be here.

The portal is just more recruiting. Players are looking for playing time, NIL if they can get it and some are looking for a good school (or grad program). SU offers all of those things. For SU I think the portal is a good opportunity to rebuild. Unfortunately, when we ID an under-rated high school player and that player develops with SU we risk the chance that the player will hit the portal looking for more NIL and or more exposure; Chestnut, Carter, and Geer come to mind. While players like Johnson, Clark, Shrader, Del Rio Wilson, Davis and Wholabaugh come her via the portal and stay a while. Like all recruiting, high school or portal recruiting, not everyone pans out.

We have to do something different if the program is ever going to get over the 5-7 wins a year hump.

You're first paragraph is exactly what a coach would do with zero understanding of how Syracuse football needs to operate. Almost reminds me of D Gross when he showed up. You need recruit and develop your talent and use the NIL to retain the kids that make a difference. You will always lose some kids, happens everywhere not just Syracuse. Hit the portal with guys from bigger schools looking for playing time, and sure you will swing here and have some busts but kids after transferring once usually aren't leaving again until they graduate.

Taking on the factories is 100% a recipe for disaster. Just won't happen or work

Last edited:
It wasn’t. Hornsby has been an 88 at Scout since before the summer.

Click on the top 247 toggle. He’s been an 88 there forever. He’s being referenced as a 4 star because of his rating at Rivals I believe and I think this goof just looked at 247 and saw he was a 3 star there and ran to Twitter saying he was downgraded when he wasn’t.

I don't see a ratings history over there. I see a composite history but not a 247 history.

I don't see a ratings history over there. I see a composite history but not a 247 history.
You have to toggle to the 247 button after you click on that clock looking thing on the composite rating on the profile page. I’m not sure why they make their rating so hard to find.

I was told this wouldn't work. These players combined have more than 100 offers from power 5 schools and many of the "factories".

It's a shame Coach Brown also seems to have "zero understanding of how Syracuse football needs to operate."

Most insanely negative, completely FOS belief possible.

He's a tool!
He’s also a…

giphy.gif

You’re joking right?

Lets take it easy rn. Sure its promising but have yet to have one commit let alone consistently be able to compete with these bigger name schools and take players. Give it time. Is it promising... sure is. But we have be able to consistently be able to land these 4 star players before we can say this is a recipe for success.

Let’s take it easy rn. Sure it’s promising but have yet to have one commit let alone consistently be able to compete with these bigger name schools and take players. Give it time. Is it promising... sure is. But we have be able to consistently be able to land these 4 star players before we can say this is a recipe for success.
He was referring to someone else & this post was sarcasm. Fooled me as well.

You’re joking right?

I think you might be reading my post wrong. Probably my fault if my attempt to cut and paste experts from a previous post made this confusing.

I support what Coach Brown is doing 1000%

I’m merely pointing out when I suggested SU raise the bar and go after better recruits in a thread that was about “How to fix football” I was told “taking on the factories is 100% a recipe for disaster”.

That thread and the posts to which I am referring were posted here on or around October 11, 2023. Which was before you joined the board. By the way, welcome aboard.

If you want to read the original thread, simply search “How to fix SU football”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom