Voice of the Dome | Syracusefan.com

Voice of the Dome

DoubleDee

All American
Can any or all of you give us a refresher on previous Voice of the Dome prior to Veley?? Both Bball and Football.

Thanks

Man I had season tickets to football and basketball prior to Veley and I barely remember Eilenberg

That's because Eilenberg tried to emulate Bob Sheppard and not Dr Seuss. :D
Yep. Carl just announced what needed to be announced. He didn't try to get cute.

Although, one memorable moment of Carl's that stands out. Late 70's, December home game at Manley (North Texas State????), PG made a hard pass (Eddie Moss?) at half court, defender stuck out his hand and deflected the pass high in the air. The ball ended up banking off the backboard for an SU bucket.

Eilenberg paused for a second, then stated, "SU basket. Assist to God."

As I've probably said in many posts in the past, I absolutely loved Carl Eilenberg. His crisp, understated delivery was just perfect.

Mike Veley is just too over the top for me. It drives me insane when he reads off player stats during the starting lineups. Dude…. SHUT UP. Name, position, hometown. Keep it simple.

As I've probably said in many posts in the past, I absolutely loved Carl Eilenberg. His crisp, understated delivery was just perfect.

Mike Veley is just too over the top for me. It drives me insane when he reads off player stats during the starting lineups. Dude…. SHUT UP. Name, position, hometown. Keep it simple.

It drives me insane when he says virtually anything.

Carl was about a 9 on the classic 1-10 scale. Veley's a 1.

This is classic revisionist history. When Carl was around nobody was singing his praises. Now he's being talked about like the second coming of John Condon or Bob Shepard. What am I missing? Wasn't he the guy who said "May the Forth be with you" when he announced Forth's name?

OrangeXtreme said:
That's because Eilenberg tried to emulate Bob Sheppard and not Dr Seuss. :D

BRAVO

This is classic revisionist history. When Carl was around nobody was singing his praises. Now he's being talked about like the second coming of John Condon or Bob Shepard. What am I missing? Wasn't he the guy who said "May the Forth be with you" when he announced Forth's name?

I was singing his praises.

Don't remember the Forth thing. Do remember that Boeheim lost his mind in 2004 or 2005 (against West Virginia, I think) when Carl announced at the half that SU had held the opponent to a record-low shooting percentage or point total or something. Boeheim didn't want the PA to say things that would unnecessarily motivate the opponent. Oddly, Veley does this kind of crap regularly, often during live action.

I was singing his praises.

Don't remember the Forth thing. Do remember that Boeheim lost his mind in 2004 or 2005 (against West Virginia, I think) when Carl announced at the half that SU had held the opponent to a record-low shooting percentage or point total or something. Boeheim didn't want the PA to say things that would unnecessarily motivate the opponent. Oddly, Veley does this kind of crap regularly, often during live action.
They'e supposed to be PA announcers providing fans important information, not the focus of the event. If Carl Eilenberg didn't get much attention it's because he was doing his job well.

And, by the way, it strikes me that part of his job should be to tell the crowd that Syracuse had just held an opponent to a record low half. If the other team needs the PA announcer's halftime comments to get motivated, they've got much bigger problems than being behind at the half.

They'e supposed to be PA announcers providing fans important information, not the focus of the event. If Carl Eilenberg didn't get much attention it's because he was doing his job well.

And, by the way, it strikes me that part of his job should be to tell the crowd that Syracuse had just held an opponent to a record low half. If the other team needs the PA announcer's halftime comments to get motivated, they've got much bigger problems than being behind at the half. [/quote]

I agree. But I also believe that if the coach doesn't want that mentioned, it shouldn't be mentioned. And I think the ideal PA guy embraces the less-is-more approach - tell us directly pertinent information, leave the minutiae and trivia for the next day's newspaper.

It drives me crazzzzy when Veley pulls a "In at Quarterback for Syracuse - Ashton Broyld" when SU runs a wildcat or something…just let it happen!

Eilenberg was the best. Bring back him and doug logan
Not the PA guy but the radio voice when I was a little kid ... Bill O'Donnell - later became the Colts and Orioles announcer. He was like butter. So good. Died too young at 56.

I guess I was oblivious to the change. I remember the Forth be with you saying, but I just assumed it was the same guy. I do faintly remember the announcement Veley would replace Eilenberg in 06, I guess I don't remember how big of a change it was, but Veley is way over the top. He's better off in the NBA, but unfortunately he is a professor too.

This is classic revisionist history.

Is it really revising history, or is just appreciating someone that you took for granted while they were here?

And I agree with you that he got a little cheesy at the very end with some of those nicknames.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom