Wagner Game Should Count Toward Bowl Eligibility | Syracusefan.com

Wagner Game Should Count Toward Bowl Eligibility

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I can't imagine Syracuse did not do due diligence here.

Here's an excerpt from NCAA Rules and Regulations:

18.7.2.2.1.1 Waiver.[FBS] TheFootball Issues Committee may approve a waiver of the 90 percent requirement to permit a Football Bowl Subdivision institution to count a victory against a Football Championship Subdivision opponent toward meeting the definition of a “deserving team,” if a unique or catastrophic situation affects the Football Championship Subdivision institution’s ability to average 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of football grants-in-aid per year during a rolling two- year period. (Adopted: 8/11/98, Revised: 4/28/05, 12/15/06, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 7/30/10)

A gray area, for sure. But Wagner did win the Northeast Conference last season, and also did beat Colgate in the first round of the NCAA Tournament - Colgate, let's be reminded, is a team that is under the 90% scholarship mark but did count on our win total in 2010 (if I'm not mistaken, the Patriot League is not up to that level yet).

I'm pretty sure with the ACC move and the challenges that presented themselves, the game should count.

This fact should not totally absolve administration for what is becoming an absolutely awful precedent, however. Someone needs to improve at his/her job, or else changes should be made. For Syracuse University to be the last BCS school to finish its schedule is an absolute joke.

18.7.2.2.1.1 Waiver.[FBS] TheFootball Issues Committee may approve a waiver of the 90 percent requirement to permit a Football Bowl Subdivision institution to count a victory against a Football Championship Subdivision opponent toward meeting the definition of a “deserving team,” if a unique or catastrophic situation affects the Football Championship Subdivision institution’s ability to average 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of football grants-in-aid per year during a rolling two- year period. (Adopted: 8/11/98, Revised: 4/28/05, 12/15/06, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 7/30/10)

A gray area, for sure. But Wagner did win the Northeast Conference last season, and also did beat Colgate in the first round of the NCAA Tournament - Colgate, let's be reminded, is a team that is under the 90% scholarship mark but did count on our win total in 2010 (if I'm not mistaken, the Patriot League is not up to that level yet).

I'm pretty sure with the ACC move and the challenges that presented themselves, the game should count.

This fact should not totally absolve administration for what is becoming an absolutely awful precedent, however. Someone needs to improve at his/her job, or else changes should be made. For Syracuse University to be the last BCS school to finish its schedule is an absolute joke.

Colgate did not count for us in 2010, and I am having hard time seeing how Wagner would qualify for a waiver. What the reason? SU's employee in charge of scheduling is incompetent?

Colgate did not count for us in 2010, and I am having hard time seeing how Wagner would qualify for a waiver. What the reason? SU's employee in charge of scheduling is incompetent?

I'm trying to be optimistic, but if the Colgate win didn't count (do you have any verification of that?) then I can't see how Wagner will either.

Actually you are mistaken since we played 2 FCS teams that year and Colgate did not count. Luckily we won 7 games in the regular season so it did not come back to bite us.

Still wondering what is the unique or catastrophic situation affecting Wagner. Superstorm Sandy?

I believe Wagner is a bowl eligible game. They only give 40 athletic department scholarships, but have a rolling 2 year average of 69.26 players on scholarship the others being funded by the school. The way I read the rule this makes them a bowl eligible win. I do not understand why we would be scheduling them if that were not so.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but if the Colgate win didn't count (do you have any verification of that?) then I can't see how Wagner will either.

We played two 1AA's that year, you can only count one. Colgate didnt meet the threshold for scholarships but it didnt matter because we were just looking for an opponent we knew we couldnt count it towards bowl eligibility.

my question is why was this not already answered when we have been questioning this for a couple weeks.. the PS or the DO or the Nunes site. Someone should have been pestering SU for an answer before the release.. Even the ESPN bloggers should have been looking for answers by now

I don't have a problem with playing an FCS team ... just as long as it counts.

Ditto.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I don't have a problem with playing an FCS team ... just as long as it counts.

Only other thing I can think of is equivalency scholarships - meaning ear-marked school scholarships that go above the 40-scholarship limit set forth by Wagner's conference.

If Wagner has been a "counter" school in the past for teams, there's no reason they shouldn't count for SU.

I don't know all the rules. But I did call SU for my web report on the schedule http://www.cnycentral.com/sports/story.aspx?id=865096

and SU told me yes, it will count towards bowl eligibility
Thanks Niko, hopefully they know what the hell they're talking about. If they went on record and told the NBC sports director that it counts and then we find out it doesn't? oh boy...

Herm Frazier replied to my request, and he said that Wagner counts.

Fraizer said before engaging in negotiations the away team declares if they make us bowl eligible and in this case Wagner did. This is now a pretty good schedule

I'm probably only reading this thread because I attended the worst loss in Duke MBB history, but here is what I think is going on:

The league that Wagner participates in is limited to 40 athletic scholarships. However, the school also provides additional nonathletic scholarships that count towards the NCAA-FCS bowl eligibility criterion of 63. Hey, it's the NCAA, what do you expect?

So that's the due diligence?

Do you have any open spots on your schedule? Yes!
Will you hurt our chances at bowl eligibility? No!
Ok see you in September!

How much does this guy get paid?

I understand that there are incompetent people in this world and from my time at SU I know some of them work for the university. However, I find it hilarious that a bunch of Internet posters think they know more than the athletic department of a major university.

I understand that there are incompetent people in this world and from my time at SU I know some of them work for the university. However, I find it hilarious that a bunch of Internet posters think they know more than the athletic department of a major university.

I agree. If Herm says that Wagner counts, then I have no reason not to believe him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom