Wait, didn't McDonald shadow Trestman? | Syracusefan.com

Wait, didn't McDonald shadow Trestman?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
From the Bill Simmons mailbag this week, for the people that didn't enjoy McDonald's playcalling:

Q: Please take it easy on Jay Cutler George. Marc Trestman’s play calling is atrocious. Since 1970, only 18 teams ran the ball less than 9 times in a game. Want to guess their record? Yep, 0-18. On Thanksgiving, Chicago joined that list with 47 passes and 8 rushes in Dallas (despite having a 14-3 lead at one point!). Marc Trestman is a FRANCHISE KILLER. He’s a journeyman coach and a horrible play caller. He can’t make any in-game adjustments. He’s a poor game manager. He doesn’t understand run/pass balance. This “QB Whisperer” crap that the media has been touting for 2 years is just plain wrong. How does that happen in the first place? How does one attain a completely false moniker, and how is that then perpetuated ad nauseam and unchecked throughout the media? Trestman is awful, he needs to go back to being a lawyer.
—Jeff, Lakeland, FL

BS: Yup, you only have three more weeks to top Jeff from Lakeland’s Trestman rant as the “Most Scathing Email Under 150 Words From a Disgruntled NFL Fan.” The only way that email would have been funnier would be if Trestman had written a book in 2010 called Perseverance: Life Lessons on Leadership and Teamwork. Wait, what???

Rest o' the article is at http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-week-14-mailbag/

Trestman might be doing a terrible job as a HC of the Bears but his success making low to mid-level QB's look really good is well documented. He's had a very successful career as an offensive coach/mind so clearly "Jeff" from FL is looking at his career in a vacuum and probably a p!ssed off Bears fan. I'm a p!ssed off Bears fan as well but most of what he says about Trestman from "Marc Trestman is a franchise killer..." on is ridiculous.

Why is this even on the Syracuse board anyway?

Trestman might be doing a terrible job as a HC of the Bears but his success making low to mid-level QB's look really good is well documented. He's had a very successful career as an offensive coach/mind so clearly "Jeff" from FL is looking at his career in a vacuum and probably a p!ssed off Bears fan. I'm a p!ssed off Bears fan as well but most of what he says about Trestman from "Marc Trestman is a franchise killer..." on is ridiculous.

Why is this even on the Syracuse board anyway?
Because McDonald shadowed Testman, and I wondered if the criticisms applied there to Trestman were similar to what the criticisms of McDonald are.

Because McDonald shadowed Testman, and I wondered if the criticisms applied there to Trestman were similar to what the criticisms of McDonald are.

Gotcha. I wasn't aware of that. I thought there was an article of the teams and coaches he had visited but I don't remember seeing Trestman. I might have just as easily missed it though.

Regardless, the record of the Bears has been more attributable to a terrible defense, terrible ST, poor OL play, and very poor QB play. You could argue that he too many pass plays but Forte also leads, or did, lead the league in yards from scrimmage. He catches a ton of balls. I don't agree with the play calling at times but I'm not sure you can even compare Trestman and McDonald. Trestman knows how to call plays, make adjustments, and create mismatches. 3 things McDonald didn't seem to understand at all. And with WR's of Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett, and Forte - not sure why you would run the ball against one of the best run defenses with a line that can't block. If he had tried to establish the run and went 3 and out all the time, fans would have been p!ssed and saying, "you have Marshall, Jeffrey, and Bennett why are you even trying to run".

Last edited:
The only reason Trestman is in the NFL is...

He had an NFL QB in the CFL in Anthony Calvillo.

The only reason Trestman is in the NFL is...

He had an NFL QB in the CFL in Anthony Calvillo.

No, maybe a small factor but not a huge factor. These are the significant reasons from his time in the NFL, he did develop a reputation as an offensive mind despite never getting a HC position before turning to the CFL ...

TrestmanQBsYPG2_original_original_original_original_original.jpg

TrestmanQBsTD-INT2_original_original_original.jpg

No, maybe a small factor but not a huge factor. These are the significant reasons from his time in the NFL, he did develop a reputation as an offensive mind despite never getting a HC position before turning to the CFL ...

TrestmanQBsYPG2_original_original_original_original_original.jpg

TrestmanQBsTD-INT2_original_original_original.jpg
Having season tickets to the Als for 5 years. I still believe trestman has Anthony Calvillo to thank for getting a job south. Anyways... I don't know much about the nfl... More of cfb guy !

Having season tickets to the Als for 5 years. I still believe trestman has Anthony Calvillo to thank for getting a job south. Anyways... I don't know much about the nfl... More of cfb guy !

The reality is the Bears looked at his body of work with QB's in the NFL and the CFL, with the idea of improving the play of Cutler and believing he was the guy that could do it from his total QB coaching history. So we're both right :D