Wake Forest coach charged in deadly Queens attack on tourist | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest coach charged in deadly Queens attack on tourist

Unless he was sucker punched, I really don't even think this is a crime.

Not being a jackass - but I kind of assume the drunk guy deserved the punch. Its not the punchers fault it just so happened to kill him. (sorry for landing a better punch than i hoped?) (sorry for bench pressing a few more lbs last week?) He clearly wasn't trying to kill him. You piss someone off, you know you are going to fight. It happens.

If i drop a banana peel on the ground and you slip on it and die, is that really my fault?

It's absolutely a crime, certainly a question of degree, but its a crime. He intentionally committed a battery on Szabo and it seems to have led to Szabo's death. I don't think NY is a stand your ground state.

The only thing I'll say to you at this point is NO ONE HAS SAID HE DESERVED TO DIE! you lost me at comparing me to a child molester defender.

You know what, I'll apologize for comparing you to that. I have a personal experience similar to this case so I'm probably a little easy to rile up about this because it's so similar. You didn't say he deserved to die but your posts seem to suggest that. Just how I'm reading the multiple things you've said. So I'll just leave the whole thing at that.

It's absolutely a crime, certainly a question of degree, but its a crime. He intentionally committed a battery on Szabo and it seems to have led to Szabo's death. I don't think NY is a stand your ground state.

Yeah, you are right with the technical crime verbiage.

How many punches are thrown in NYC per day? Thousands. and basically 0 die from those and less the 5ish (wild guess but you get the point) are actual charged/investigated crimes. Thats what i meant by that statement.

I just don't think the coach should lose everything he has over 1 punch (which is what I'm made to believe is all he threw - if it was 50 punches or a sucker punch - as i said in my 1st post - different story)

How many punches are thrown in NYC per day? Thousands. and basically 0 die from those and less the 5ish (wild guess but you get the point) are actual charged/investigated crimes. Thats what i meant by that statement.

I just don't think the coach should lose everything he has over 1 punch (which is what I'm made to believe is all he threw - if it was 50 punches or a sucker punch - as i said in my 1st post - different story)

Why not? Szabo lost everything he has over that 1 punch, with no opportunity to get any of it back ever. People make mistakes, but they also have to be prepared to suffer the consequences of their actions.

World would be a much better place if people's first instinct when they get annoyed wasn't to hit, shoot or stab someone.

You know what, I'll apologize for comparing you to that. I have a personal experience similar to this case so I'm probably a little easy to rile up about this because it's so similar. You didn't say he deserved to die but your posts seem to suggest that. Just how I'm reading the multiple things you've said. So I'll just leave the whole thing at that.

I appreciate you apologizing for that part.

Im sorry if i made it seem like he deserved to die. Certainly didnt mean that.

Why not? Szabo lost everything he has over that 1 punch, with no opportunity to get any of it back ever. People make mistakes, but they also have to be prepared to suffer the consequences of their actions.

World would be a much better place if people's first instinct when they get annoyed wasn't to hit, shoot or stab someone.

are you saying "why not" to the coach losing everything?

if so, i think we are just better to agree to disagree my man.

It’s a sad story all around. As for what the coach “deserves”, it’s all in he details for me...whatever they are.

Was the drunk guy threatening or just harmlessly annoying? Was the coach scared and doing what he felt he had to do to protect himself, or was he pissed off and slugging an annoying and easy target?

Did the guy knock on the window or bang on the car to where he legit could’ve damaged it?

We really don’t know any of that yet.

The guys brother said he was backing up when he got hit and that’s part of why he fell so hard. If so, that certainly doesn’t look good for the coach.

It’s a sad story all around. As for what the coach “deserves”, it’s all in he details for me...whatever they are.

Was the drunk guy threatening or just harmlessly annoying? Was the coach scared and doing what he felt he had to do to protect himself, or was he pissed off and slugging an annoying and easy target?

Did the guy knock on the window or bang on the car to where he legit could’ve damaged it?

We really don’t know any of that yet.

The guys brother said he was backing up when he got hit and that’s part of why he fell so hard. If so, that certainly doesn’t look good for the coach.

def agree with the 1st 4 paragraphs.

the 5th, we'll see - but that is def a game changer for me.

The coach getting out of his car then getting back in his car & taking off after punching the guy also makes it seems he knew what he did wrong and wanted to get away. Maybe the coach was drunk himself.??

Unless he was sucker punched, I really don't even think this is a crime.

Not being a jackass - but I kind of assume the drunk guy deserved the punch. Its not the punchers fault it just so happened to kill him. (sorry for landing a better punch than i hoped?) (sorry for bench pressing a few more lbs last week?) He clearly wasn't trying to kill him. You piss someone off, you know you are going to fight. It happens.

If i drop a banana peel on the ground and you slip on it and die, is that really my fault?

You my friend, need to do a little research before you make an even bigger ass of yourself. There are torts that deal with this kind of thing.

res ipsa loquitur
Latin for "the thing speaks for itself," a doctrine of law that one is presumed to be negligent if he/she/it had exclusive control of whatever caused the injury even though there is no specific evidence of an act of negligence, and without negligence the accident would not have happened.

The only thing I'll say to you at this point is NO ONE HAS SAID HE DESERVED TO DIE! you lost me at comparing me to a child molester defender.
You lost me comparing a guy who fatally punched another person to someone slipping on a banana
peel.

You my friend, need to do a little research before you make an even bigger ass of yourself. There are torts that deal with this kind of thing.

res ipsa loquitur
Latin for "the thing speaks for itself," a doctrine of law that one is presumed to be negligent if he/she/it had exclusive control of whatever caused the injury even though there is no specific evidence of an act of negligence, and without negligence the accident would not have happened.

I commented on this later in the thread.

You lost me comparing a guy who fatally punched another person to someone slipping on a banana
peel.

That’s fine. Prob not the best comparison.

Just don’t think the coach should lose everything for something that is hardly ever prosecuted because the guy was drunk and agitated a fight.

If it was an honest mistake and he was backing off from the coach with his hands up, it’s a totally different story. Just have a feeling it didn’t go that way.

It's not. It depends on the circumstances of what happened that. I know someone who got into a fight in which he was defending himself, he punched the guy and he died a few days later in the hospital after hitting his head on the pavement. He got off because witnesses were able to corroborate his story that his life was in danger.

That’s fine. Prob not the best comparison.

Just don’t think the coach should lose everything for something that is hardly ever prosecuted because the guy was drunk and agitated a fight.

If it was an honest mistake and he was backing off from the coach with his hands up, it’s a totally different story. Just have a feeling it didn’t go that way.

This is where you are wrong. Consequences matter. Sure two guys square off outside a bar and one lands a punch that gives the other guy a black eye, than I'll agree.....hardly ever prosecuted.

You intentionally take an action that leads to the death of another person, even if it wasn't your intent to kill that person, and it will more often than not lead to a prosecution. Obviously a prosecution is different than a conviction, the coach deserves to have his opporutity to tell his side of the story.....but you hit, punch, kick, push another person and that leads to their death......you should be prepared to be prosecuted.

Similar circumstance with that girl who was pushed off the bridge and sufferred multiple broken ribs. The woman that pushed her is likely to face consequences only in her case, the girl pushed survived.

Last edited:
there needs to be consequence for action like this. He did not need to punch this man

Obviously he's innocent until proven guilty like anyone else, but if its proven that he acted out of anger/meatheadness instead of self-defense, I think something like 3-5 years in prison followed by 10 years of probation is appropriate for this crime.

This is where you are wrong. Consequences matter. Sure two guys square off outside a bar and one lands a punch that gives the other guy a black eye, than I'll agree...hardly ever prosecuted.

You intentionally take an action that leads to the death of another person, even if it wasn't your intent to kill that person, and it will more often than not lead to a prosecution. Obviously a prosecution is different than a conviction, the coach deserves to have his opporutity to tell his side of the story...but you hit, punch, kick, push another person and that leads to their death...you should be prepared to be prosecuted.

Similar circumstance with that girl who was pushed off the bridge and sufferred multiple broken ribs. The woman that pushed her is likely to face consequences only in her case, the girl pushed survived.

You are comparing someone who punched someone to someone who pushed someone off a bridge? I think it obvious, the person pushing someone off the bridge should spend significantly more time in jail. Right?

I think the better comparison is to the other guy who punched the same dang guy 5 minutes earlier. Will he be arrested for assault? I highly doubt it.

there needs to be consequence for action like this. He did not need to punch this man

Am i the only person that read 2 different people punched him within minutes?

I don't think I've ever been punched in my face outside of stupid kid fake boxing in my entire life. at least never that i can remember. Let alone twice in 1 day. Let alone twice because i was bothering people for a commotion that i allegedly started. Maybe he caused people to be mad at him? Did they "need" to punch him? Probably not - but maybe he was acting a fool and bothering people and slamming on cars.

Punching a guy who is pretty defenseless(inebriated), is by definition a sucker punch. Only way this coach is not guilty of manslaughter is if the drunk guy was physically assaulting him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom