Wake game concerns me | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Wake game concerns me

Wake is playing better and Clawson said they are the most healthy they've been all year. It's going to be a battle and SU has to continue to not turn the ball over but still play aggressive as they have been. Here's a game I'd love to see the D come up big and stuff that really good RB they have while covering their receivers like white on rice and force their freshman QB into some turnovers.

How is their QB? We had pressure in Finley’s face all game but he showed why he’s a legit NFL prospect with the way he worked pre-snap reads, his ability to slide in the pocket and stand in taking hits while delivering accurate balls.

Our defense isn’t great by any metric, but we do have a pretty strong pass rush and if our adjustments over the past few games can continue to hold opponents run games in check, I don’t think the non-Finley’s of the world will blowtorch our defense (maybe a strong lighter with hairspray), but not an all out blowtorch.

How is their QB? We had pressure in Finley’s face all game but he showed why he’s a legit NFL prospect with the way he worked pre-snap reads, his ability to slide in the pocket and stand in taking hits while delivering accurate balls.

Our defense isn’t great by any metric, but we do have a pretty strong pass rush and if our adjustments over the past few games can continue to hold opponents run games in check, I don’t think the non-Finley’s of the world will blowtorch our defense (maybe a strong lighter with hairspray), but not an all out blowtorch.
The Wake QB Hartman is a true freshman.

Here are Dortchs' stats for this season.
Greg Dortch

Thanks CL.

Wake only lost to BC by 7 and it was a pretty tough game if memory serves me. Let's add that Dortch didn't play vs SU last year and they still scored a 1000 points in the Dome.

Thanks CL.

Wake only lost to BC by 7 and it was a pretty tough game if memory serves me. Let's add that Dortch didn't play vs SU last year and they still scored a 1000 points in the Dome.
But they had a sixth year QB in Wolford last year...he's gone.

And Hartman doesn't run like Wolford.

Last edited:
But they had a sixth year QB in Wolford last year...he's gone.

Very true. That's way it is so incredibly important to stop those 2 RB's while playing smart at the DB position.

Sorry, I have not read the entire thread, but this game scares the heck out of me. If we win the next 2 then I'll feel like we really turned a corner. Otherwise, I can't shake the feeling that we are a 1 week wonder and we are gonna blow all this good will and finish 1-3. Please prove me wrong!

We all know we can play up to, or down to, the level of ANY opponent this year.

That said - Wake really is not very good.
They needed OT to beat Tulane.
They got CRUSHED by ND, Clemson, AND FSU. FSU!!

Yeah, they lit up Llvll, but that's not really much of an accomplishment this year.
Llvll scored their most points - 35 - in any game this season vs. Wake's D.
(and only managed 31 vs Indiana STATE and 20 vs WESTERN Kentucky - so that Wake efense is underwhelming)

Wolford & Serigne aren't walking thru that door.

And there's no hurricane in the forecast - other than Hurricane Dungey, which will wreak havoc locally for about 4 hours on Saturday afternoon. :cool:

It is working out that way for both sides. Last year our only 2 conference wins were Clemson and Pitt, and they have each gotten their revenge on us. We just need to finish off Wake, Louie, and BC and the revenge tour will be complete.
If there is one team we owe real revenge on it's Notre Dame. Why leave them out, ruining their perfect season and chance at a playoff berth would be sweet payback.

They rolled us last year. Went off in the second half. Started a stretch of 10 straight quarters of misery.

How much has changed since then? Kids better come ready to play. Should be another one of these 51-41 type games.

They did hammer uUS last year and there is more there this tear than just the qb...

They did hammer uUS last year and there is more there this tear than just the qb...
Jesus just stop. They are awful. This TEAM has played one bad game all year. And it took three 53+yd FGs in the rain a bust and bad fumble return and a 4th down conversion to take the game to OT on the road. UNC was close because the QB was off.

SU is at least 17pts better

Jesus just stop. They are awful. This TEAM has played one bad game all year. And it took three 53+yd FGs in the rain a bust and bad fumble return and a 4th down conversion to take the game to OT on the road. UNC was close because the QB was off.

SU is at least 17pts better

THIS.

The narrative that Dino can't win on the road in the ACC is bunk.

It's not like we got blown out in either of those games this year -
which, when you consider that one was AT Clemson, is freaking amazing.
We were literally ONE play away late in the 4th quarter of each of those games from winning.

Also - Wake's D is ranked 124th. Out of 130.
They are allowing almost 47 points a game vs P5 competition.
They fired their D-Coordinator after the ND game.
And they just benched a starting CB and replaced him with a walk-on.
They are grasping at straws on D, and it shows.

Wake's D doesn't get a lot of sacks, or INT's.
And teams are 20/21 in the red zone against them, all for TD's.
See stat at bottom for more-

Their O, which averages 34 overall, is only averaging about 27 vs P5 comp
(and that includes 56 vs. Llvll, which I'm not even sure still counts as P5 anymore :p)

Lastly, but far from least - we have THE BEST ST's in the whole damn country!!!
Wake's ST's are ranked 87 by S&P+
IF this is somehow a close game, that's a huge edge than can swing it our way.

Wake doesn't have some fearsome home-field advantage either.
While they got big crowds for ND & Clemson, a lot of that extra might have been opposition fans.
They only drew in the 23-25k range for Towson, BC, and Rice.

Edited to add:

Sm9pxK4q_bigger.jpg
CFB Focus ‏ @cffmwachsman
FollowFollow @cffmwachsman
More

CFB PCT OF POSS W/POINTS
1 Syracuse 58.82
2 UCF 54.65
3 Houston 53.77
4 Penn State 53.13
5 Oklahoma 53.10
6 Alabama 53.04
7 Oklahoma State 52.08
8 FIU 51.85
9 Washington State 51.04
10 Utah State 51.04

Our offense is the Irresistible Force - and their scoring D is the VERY Movable Object. ;)

Last edited:
Wake's D doesn't get a lot of sacks, or INT's.
And teams are 20/21 in the red zone against them, all for TD's.

That is an incredible stat. Bodes well for our many early game long drives that sputter out to a short FG.

We are clearly the better team and hopefully we show that. 7-2 basically means 8-2 when we face ND (no way we lose to the Louisville dumpster fire).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom