Walk-ons are struggling this year | Syracusefan.com

Walk-ons are struggling this year

I agree. I've watched the last 3 games and they failed to score in each of those games. Tonight with 3 and a half minutes they still failed to score. But I really dont care.

L/C had a big block. And that Jones kid is a horse in the middle.

It's all good. JB was wise to take Nolan Hart on the team. Might help SU with Albany-area prospects in the future, if any.

Our walk-on recruiting has obviously fallen off a cliff lately - the kids they're bringing in are starting to look like Rutgers players.
now thats funny!!!!

Worst scoring group ever. Hustle, defense and rebounding are fine. Shooting, bad.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Walk ons have all of 3 points this year. They like to jack it up though. They may break the backboard.

I have to admit that it bothered me that the kid (Hoffman maybe) chose not to pass the ball on that break (passing was obviously the correct play), then he got fouled and not only missed both, but then when they get the ball back he jacks a 3 instead of giving one of the other guys a shot. It seemed really selfish to me, not a big deal but it sorta ticked me off. I know, first-world problems.

I watch them and I swear I could hold my own with them out there.

We've had some pretty good walk=ons in the past. Remember Justin Thomas in the six overtime game? We ran out of scholly players... and JB put Justin into the game with one instruction: "Don't shoot." He played really well for seven minutes, getting a key rebound and a block. And he never took a shot.

Box score from that game: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290710041

Hoffman is in a terrible slump. Isn't he the kid who makes those crazy shot videos?

Who is that Jones kid? He has the body of a D1 player and had that nice block. Obviously he was the 6th walkon in, so he can't be too good, but he looks like a football player.

Who is that Jones kid? He has the body of a D1 player and had that nice block. Obviously he was the 6th walkon in, so he can't be too good, but he looks like a football player.

headshot_1_JonesN44.jpg

Noel Jones is a 6-6 230 lb junior from Halifax NS.

"In prep school Jones was ranked seventh among power forwards in HoopStars Canada rankings for the Class of 2009 ... He played for Coach Dave Vitale at Marianapolis Prep (Conn.) ... The Golden Knights competed in the New England Prep School Athletic Conference (NEPSAC) ... Marianapolis Prep lost to Tilton School, 89-78 in overtime, in the Class B title game ... Jones played against SU teammate James Southerland.

In high school Jones earned most valuable player honors twice at Halifax Grammer School ... He was a member of the 2008 squad that won the bronze medal in the NSSAF Division I Championship ... He played for Coach Sean Mantley as a freshman and then Coach Tim McGarrigle his other three seasons ... Jones earned city all-star recognition as a sophomore, junior and senior ... He was a team captain as a senior.

Noel Jones was born in December 1989 ... He is the son of Terrence and Great Jones ... Jones is majoring in French in the College of Arts and Sciences."

Info courtesy of SUA

The walk-ons are there for their grades and not their playing ability. I bet there are 5 kids playing every day in Archibald (at least in my day) that could run on the current walk-ons. But come finals I'm sure that JB has the right group.

The walk-ons are there for their grades and not their playing ability. I bet there are 5 kids playing every day in Archibald (at least in my day) that could run on the current walk-ons. But come finals I'm sure that JB has the right group.
How much do the walk-ons grades play into the NCAA guidelines for academics? I thought it was only the scholarship players who counted towards that. In the past JB has given scholies to bright walk-ons.

Walk ons don't count towards academic scores.

Walk ons don't count towards academic scores.

Exactly. But they work pretty hard in practices and are underappreciated IMO (more of a response to VirginaOrange, which I'll do next).

FWIW, I used to play all the time in Flanagan when I was at S.U. and occasionally played against the walkons in offseason, etc. It would not have been easy to find a 5 man squad of students playing pickup in Flanagan that would've been competitive with the walk ons. They may not be high-major D1 talent but these guys are typically pretty damn good.

I have to admit that it bothered me that the kid (Hoffman maybe) chose not to pass the ball on that break (passing was obviously the correct play), then he got fouled and not only missed both, but then when they get the ball back he jacks a 3 instead of giving one of the other guys a shot. It seemed really selfish to me, not a big deal but it sorta ticked me off. I know, first-world problems.

Hoffman is a gunner - no doubt about that. Still, I prefer that over waiting for walk-ons to shoot. They can pull up from half-court if they want, just shoot early and often!

FWIW, I used to play all the time in Flanagan when I was at S.U. and occasionally played against the walkons in offseason, etc. It would not have been easy to find a 5 man squad of students playing pickup in Flanagan that would've been competitive with the walk ons. They may not be high-major D1 talent but these guys are typically pretty damn good.

They typically are, which is why it's so remarkable to see such inept play from the group of guys run out there. That's the worst group of walk-ons in the 30 years I've been watching. Careless with the ball, can't shoot (not even free throws), and surprisingly little chemistry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom