War movies today | Syracusefan.com

War movies today

upperdeck

Living Legend
Seems strange to see 3 war films released in such a short time frame actually do pretty well. Enjoyed fury and unbroken but just amazed at the money Sniper has made so far. 10 years ago a movie like blackhawk down with a crazy action packed story and emotional as well does 100 million and now sniper is set to make 2-300 million out of no where.
i was looking forward to seeing it but i didnt see a market for this type of film

Part of it can be explained by how ingrained the SEAL teams have become in the American psyche thanks to Lone Survivor, American Sniper and the Bin Laden raid. People have an appetite for seeing SEALs doing SEAL stuff.

there were a boatload of war movies released during the Bush 43 years, but they made barely a ripple at the box office. of course,they were all anti-war (and arguably either anti-Bush or even anti-US). "Sniper" is going to make more than "Lions for Lambs," "In the Valley of Elah" et al put together.

the companies that produced that politically-motivated, money-losing agitprop are publicly held; their shareholders should demand a reckoning.

there were a boatload of war movies released during the Bush 43 years, but they made barely a ripple at the box office. of course,they were all anti-war (and arguably either anti-Bush or even anti-US). "Sniper" is going to make more than "Lions for Lambs," "In the Valley of Elah" et al put together.

the companies that produced that politically-motivated, money-losing agitprop are publicly held; their shareholders should demand a reckoning.
Though not exactly anti war in message, American Sniper isn't a pro-Iraq war film by any stretch either. I think it does a good job showing how screwed up the whole thing was, how it impacted families and many of the troops who served there and came back, just a little messed up.

Though not exactly anti war in message, American Sniper isn't a pro-Iraq war film by any stretch either. I think it does a good job showing how screwed up the whole thing was, how it impacted families and many of the troops who served there and came back, just a little messed up.

I was unclear; I didn't mean to imply that it was pro-Iraq war just that it is certainly not primarily an anti-Iraq war film like those that have preceded it . . . but it is pro-soldier, and presents the US soldier in a heroic way that has been missing in the other films of the same vintage

btw, at the end of the day, I think almost every war movie is an anti-war movie, they can't help but be even if it shows just the tiniest fraction of the horror

at the end of the day, I think almost every war movie is an anti-war movie, they can't help but be even if it shows just the tiniest fraction of the horror
Truer words have not been written here.

Seems strange to see 3 war films released in such a short time frame actually do pretty well. Enjoyed fury and unbroken but just amazed at the money Sniper has made so far. 10 years ago a movie like blackhawk down with a crazy action packed story and emotional as well does 100 million and now sniper is set to make 2-300 million out of no where.
i was looking forward to seeing it but i didnt see a market for this type of film
Sniper based on a real person who survived overseas and gets murdered here. I want to see the Cumberbatch movie as the code breaker Now thats interesting.

Did they address the whole this guy seemed to lie a lot angle in American Sniper?

Did they address the whole this guy seemed to lie a lot angle in American Sniper?
Don't sniper kills need verification by their spotters?

Don't sniper kills need verification by their spotters?

I don't think they do - you can verify your own kill from what I recall. Although the news keeps making it sound like the spotter has to verify it.

the military says they dont keep real records. Kyle claimed his number but there will never be any evidence and his missions were much different than even what someone like Hathcock did in Vietnam. Much more overwatch. some things in the movie never happened some were dramatized some extended version were made.