Was 2001-2002 the last season we didn't have a top 25 win? | Syracusefan.com

Was 2001-2002 the last season we didn't have a top 25 win?

It's actually really funny- both of these teams are squarely on the bubble (this year and last year), but for completely different reasons.

We have covered it all the last two years. And what will be great is if we do get in the tournament, it's probably similar to a team that got in over us last year that drove people here nuts.

And this is why quadrants are dumb.

I still think last years team was far more a tournament team than this one, Raks team too.

It's actually really funny- both of these teams are squarely on the bubble (this year and last year), but for completely different reasons.

We have covered it all the last two years. And what will be great is if we do get in the tournament, it's probably similar to a team that got in over us last year that drove people here nuts.

What I love about it is a road win against an RPI 75th ranked team is valued the same as a home win against the number 1 team in the country. It is literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

All this quadrant stuff is BS. I'm with the OP, we don't have a win that can match up against other bubble team's best win. I still think we get in, even if that may mean a few team's give up spots that may help us get in

2017 - Wake Forest

What I love about it is a road win against an RPI 75th ranked team is valued the same as a home win against the number 1 team in the country. It is literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Ir's really no different than prior year's though, when a home win against team #50 was valued the same as team #1.

They used to also measure top 25 wins (RPI wise) .. I am sure they are doing something similar. And they always valued elite wins in the top group more than a regular win.

All this quadrant stuff is BS. I'm with the OP, we don't have a win that can match up against other bubble team's best win. I still think we get in, even if that may mean a few team's give up spots that may help us get in

The following teams are all in, and none really have a signature victory. They do however have one or two quad 1 wins than us. None of these teams have a win over a team that seems to be a #4 seed or above as of now:
Texas
St. Bonaventure
Kansas St
USC

Some of the teams legitimately chasing us don't really have elite wins either (we are the first team out).
UCLA
Mississippi St
Boise St
Nebraska

Washington and Temple have elite victories, but they also have more holes.

We do have less elite wins than last year and 2016, but we also had less crap this year.

So maybe the 90s then?

Couldn't find anything in the 90's either. 1997 was the closest - we had one win over Villanova. But in the 90s we almost always had one top 25 win OOC based on my scan of the link above.

Couldn't find anything in the 90's either. 1997 was the closest - we had one win over Villanova. But in the 90s we almost always had one top 25 win OOC based on my scan of the link above.

My point with this thread is just to point out how historic this really could be for SU if they don't beat Clemson next week

2001-02 Syracuse Orange Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Confirms Michigan St.

The problem with looking at it this way, is early in the season many teams are ranked in the top 25, that really end up being average.

Interesting how we used to schedule marquee non-conference games during the conference season, and they were home and homes, not neutral site games. UCLA came to the Dome in February 2000, we played at NC State February 2001, @ Tennessee January 02, home against Missouri in January and @ MSU in February of 03. Looks like we stopped doing this after playing @ Missouri in 2004. It definitely doesn't fit the narrative with JB and non-conference scheduling.

Last edited:
That can't be right we played one ranked team the entire season.

It seems to be correct.

2001-02 Big East Conference Season Summary | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

We played Pittsburgh, Georgetown, and Boston College who were top 25 at some point in the season, but not when we played them.

Miami was top 25 team all year, but we never played them.

I forgot about the old division format they had for 3 years. In that format you played your 6 division mates 2 times, and played only of the 7 teams in the other division. We avoided Miami and UConn who were top 25 teams for all or most of the year.

2001-2002 is the last time we didn't beat at least 2 ranked teams in a year.

Looking at Orange Hoops, the last time we didn't beat a ranked opponent was 1980-1981.

The last time we didn't spend at least 1 week ranked ourselves was 1984-1985.

By my count, we've only been ranked for 7 weeks in the past 4 seasons.

Kind of shows where this team is and has been recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom