Was 2001-2002 the last season we didn't have a top 25 win? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Was 2001-2002 the last season we didn't have a top 25 win?

It seems to be correct.

2001-02 Big East Conference Season Summary | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

We played Pittsburgh, Georgetown, and Boston College who were top 25 at some point in the season, but not when we played them.

Miami was top 25 team all year, but we never played them.

I forgot about the old division format they had for 3 years. In that format you played your 6 division mates 2 times, and played only of the 7 teams in the other division. We avoided Miami and UConn who were top 25 teams for all or most of the year.
Looking at that season, we didn't play Uconn, Miami or St. John's. The Big East "only" got 6 teams into the NCAA Tourney that year. We played only 3 of them (swept by Pitt, swept Notre Dame, lost to BC). Us and Georgetown finished 9-7 in conference but didn't make the NCAA's, while St. John's did. BC finished 8-8 and got in. Weird season, obviously a weak conference schedule hurt us.

Looking at that season, we didn't play Uconn, Miami or St. John's. The Big East "only" got 6 teams into the NCAA Tourney that year. We played only 3 of them (swept by Pitt, swept Notre Dame, lost to BC). Us and Georgetown finished 9-7 in conference but didn't make the NCAA's, while St. John's did. BC finished 8-8 and got in. Weird season, obviously a weak conference schedule hurt us.

Michigan St. was ranked.

Interesting how we used to schedule marquee non-conference games during the conference season, and they were home and homes, not neutral site games. UCLA came to the Dome in February 2000, we played at NC State February 2001, @ Tennessee January 02, home against Missouri in January and @ MSU in February of 03. Looks like we stopped doing this after playing @ Missouri in 2004. It definitely doesn't fit the narrative with JB and non-conference scheduling.
You don't see the types of games out of anyone any more. With 18 game conference schedules, how often are we seeing non-conf games played after the New year?

You don't see the types of games out of anyone any more. With 18 game conference schedules, how often are we seeing non-conf games played after the New year?
Yeah in the era of 14-16 team power conferences we’re not going to see that again. Also, the Big East divisions in the late 90s and early 00s were awful. I can’t believe the league willingly made a schedule where SU and UConn didn’t play at all.

Yeah in the era of 14-16 team power conferences we’re not going to see that again. Also, the Big East divisions in the late 90s and early 00s were awful. I can’t believe the league willingly made a schedule where SU and UConn didn’t play at all.

I was looking through the schedules when I made this original post and I was completely lost why we werent playing uconn

Didnt remember they did that nonsense with the scheduling

It seems to be correct.

2001-02 Big East Conference Season Summary | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

We played Pittsburgh, Georgetown, and Boston College who were top 25 at some point in the season, but not when we played them.

Miami was top 25 team all year, but we never played them.

I forgot about the old division format they had for 3 years. In that format you played your 6 division mates 2 times, and played only of the 7 teams in the other division. We avoided Miami and UConn who were top 25 teams for all or most of the year.
That's incredible to play 31 games and only play one ranked team..
Its also criminal to have a big East season and not have a cuse uconn game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom