was it common knowledge?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

was it common knowledge??

The 4 candidates that Cuse search committee interviewed in 16? It is the first I saw names published. It was in Nate Mink's article this AM. I would post the link but I dont know how.

Durkin...Disaster
Edsall...Surprised after the P hire
Frost...I heard this one
Golden... Good God no.
Talk about an underwhelming list of potential train wrecks and dumpster fires.

This is terrifying. I'm more confident than ever that football alumni should have no business having input on coaching hires. They are too connected to certain coaches that they came in contact with.

I think we stumbled into Babers and got lucky that he saw the dome and ED as an advantage. But there are some lessons to be learned - skip the retread, hire for offense (specifically one that takes advantage of the dome), dynamic leader who believes Syracuse can win.

Absolutely, and no continuity hires either. I would always look for head coaching experience and this day and age a head coach with a proven offensive system that they will be bringing in with them that has had demonstrated success. No D coach that says they will be running an " aggressive system" that is meathead banter and means nothing

This is terrifying. I'm more confident than ever that football alumni should have no business having input on coaching hires. They are too connected to certain coaches that they came in contact with.

I think we stumbled into Babers and got lucky that he saw the dome and ED as an advantage. But there are some lessons to be learned - skip the retread, hire for offense (specifically one that takes advantage of the dome), dynamic leader who believes Syracuse can win.

I buy into a Dome, I don’t buy into taking a gig because of ED. A raw true FR QB recruited to a run-system that finished the year hurt doesn’t make a guy choose one job over another. No way.

All the stuff now is wonderful, romantic PR on that issue. But it certainly worked out.

Gun to my head all things considered I take AL Golden there and it isn't even close. Frost obviously would not have been around very long. Obviously we got Babers.

I am not sure the U was the best spot for Al Golden, glad Rutgers did not hire Golden

Frost would have done well, but we'd be breaking in a new coach right now.

Edsall? Dear lord.
I'd have been livid about Durkin for the same reason I was livid about the possibility of Ash.
You're right about Golden. He's not a bad coach, but wouldn't excite the fan base. You never want someone's discards.

According to Coyle it was always Babers, he knew Frost was on the first train outta town.

The Ash thing was done because it was funny. Well for most anyway.

HA! funny for most. I wound up in the penalty box for 2-3 days after a few rants. The thread makes great viewing now, about 4-5 of my posts were deleted though.

The alumni, specifically football, made the huge push for Edsall.

Another thing that I think people forget amongst all the rhetoric was that Syracuse was a hard pass on Ash.

The way I was told it, Ash’s agent reached out and we said no thanks. Then all of a sudden there’s a news line saying Chris Ash removes himself from Syracuse consideration. Well yeah, bc we told your agent keep walking. Doesn’t matter now, we have our guy.

The only curveball in the process was Frost. Then it was locked in with Dino.
I officially don't care what alumni think

Frost would have done well, but we'd be breaking in a new coach right now.

Edsall? Dear lord.
I'd have been livid about Durkin for the same reason I was livid about the possibility of Ash.
You're right about Golden. He's not a bad coach, but wouldn't excite the fan base. You never want someone's discards.

That seems unfair but maybe true. However, some discards have panned out...Pete Caroll

I buy into a Dome, I don’t buy into taking a gig because of ED. A raw true FR QB recruited to a run-system that finished the year hurt doesn’t make a guy choose one job over another. No way.

All the stuff now is wonderful, romantic PR on that issue. But it certainly worked out.
ED was "a" factor...not "the" factor.

Once you wade through all the semantics, I think that playing in ACC, playing at least 6 home games in the Dome and Kent's "do it the right way" philosophy were all major factors.

Because Dino is so retrospective, I also think he was intrigued with the challenge of restoring SU FB to it's former storied history.

they were right on Marrone...

Kind of.

Most alumni are choosing guys they know from their time here. That's a needless narrowing of the pool. That it kind of worked out once is not proof of anything.

If we're narrowing the pool lets do it for good reasons:

- No HC experience
- Defensive minded

ED was "a" factor...not "the" factor.

Once you wade through all the semantics, I think that playing in ACC, playing at least 6 home games in the Dome and Kent's "do it the right way" philosophy were all major factors.

Because Dino is so retrospective, I also think he was intrigued with the challenge of restoring SU FB to it's former storied history.

Missouri has a senior QB that is a first round pick in next year’s draft.

ED - who is awesome and having statues erected of him as we speak - was not a factor.

The 4 candidates that Cuse search committee interviewed in 16? It is the first I saw names published. It was in Nate Mink's article this AM. I would post the link but I dont know how.

Durkin...Disaster
Edsall...Surprised after the P hire
Frost...I heard this one
Golden... Good God no.
They had better pay Babers whatever he wants if we are going to be interviewing that type of slate the next time.

good lord, that list is scary. two complete dumpster fires, a better version of Shafer who would have been yawn inducing to the fanbase, a guy who would have left us after two years.. and the guy who took the job and is the best thing to happen to the program in many years. whew.

Missouri has a senior QB that is a first round pick in next year’s draft.

ED - who is awesome and having statues erected of him as we speak - was not a factor.

He didn't go to Mizzou because it was embroiled in a very large nasty racial issue at the time. It would not have been a fun job to step into as a black coach - lots and lots of off field issues. Guy just wanted to coach, I think.

Rutgers Fans when they read that Syracuse never interviewed Ash

tenor.png

Then why did Dino say it was?

Because it makes a nice story. There’s a thing called Coach’s speak.

The Mizzou QB is legit. But Mizzou doesn’t have a Dome, is not a private school and is in the SEC.

I can see an NFL coach factoring in a Baker Mayfield. I find the quarterback situation to be a factor for Dino, especially given ED’s strengths at that time.

Because it makes a nice story. There’s a thing called Coach’s speak.

The Mizzou QB is legit. But Mizzou doesn’t have a Dome, is not a private school and is in the SEC.

I can see an NFL coach factoring in a Baker Mayfield. I find the quarterback situation to be a factor for Dino, especially given ED’s strengths at that time.

Yeah, and it's a slightly different story than what Dino said after his initial press conference. If I recall, he said Eric came up and introduced himself to Dino and Dino said something to the effect of I'm told by people around here that you're a pretty good quarterback.

And then I recall the first year talking about all the time they had to take to get him to learn to play the position a different way, saying he was a triple option QB. (I never really thought that was an accurate description but Lester did introduce the triple option in 2015 with the help of the RB coach at the time).

I'm with you, I think saying it now is just coachspeak, and a very nice thing to say about the senior QB who helped you turn it around. The job itself, Dome/ACC, etc. and SU keeping it quiet so he could focus on the MAC Championship game with Bowling Gree, were the factors.

Jeez, that can't be a very long list. Maybe longer now, but in 2016?