Was it just Bucknell or.. | Syracusefan.com

Was it just Bucknell or..

We're not as good as we played today, but we're sure as hell not as bad as we played against Virginia either.

This team is still gelling and finding their roles. When we do, we could be pretty damn good, or we could go cold shooting and struggle. The nice thing is we have a lot of weapons that are still finding their sea legs. Should be a fun year watching them develop together.

I'll add that I was honestly surprised how many people were writing off the season after the Virginia game. Despite this board being located on the internet, I really thought this board was smarter than that.

We're not as good as we played today, but we're sure as hell not as bad as we played against Virginia either.

This team is still gelling and finding their roles. When we do, we could be pretty damn good, or we could go cold shooting and struggle. The nice thing is we have a lot of weapons that are still finding their sea legs. Should be a fun year watching them develop together.
I think the improved spacing, passing, and cutting will help with those cold spells. Progress will be slow (a lot of their success today WAS Bucknell) but I'm excited about the improvement.

Anytime you’re able to beat a D1 team by 50+ you’re clicking on all cylinders. Bucknell’s not a bad team. Not particularly good either, but it was definitely a mix of us playing our best game and them being clearly off.

Normal game against them and we probably win by 25.

We have a lot of weapons, so it's hard in games like this to see where the drought will come from. However, we still lack athleticism, and I can't help but remain curious about what happens when we play some ACC teams, like a Florida State circa last year, that can really get up and down, rebound, block shots...I'm not sure how we do against that type of team.

I also think our zone is going to allow for some interesting back and forth against teams that can shoot it well, and are on par with us athletically, or better.

Nevertheless, it's good to see all the ball movement, and people hitting shots. It's a really fun team to speculate about right now because of that...and just to see how they do moving forward. The offense is certainly more fun to watch than it has been.

I think pushing pace eliminates scoring droughts, eliminating hero ball. Passing is contagious too. If IF we can hang inside...

I didn't see the Cornell game, but just from checking the score, etc...wasn't that game a 30 minute scoring drought to kick things off before we got hot for the last 11 minutes?

Genuinely curious, I DID NOT see the game.

We’ll know a lot more after the next 3 games.

Pretty simple.

Today was good to see. But Bucknell, while not a bad team, is the perfect matchup for SU.

We’ll soon be playing teams that can pressure the ball and defend the 3. When that happens, we’ll need different answers.

We are going to live and die on the three

I think this team is better than most think and will surprise people.

think it should be a fun season...gotta day this is the first time in a few years I really like the team and who we have playing for us

We have a lot of weapons, so it's hard in games like this to see where the drought will come from. However, we still lack athleticism, and I can't help but remain curious about what happens when we play some ACC teams, like a Florida State circa last year, that can really get up and down, rebound, block shots...I'm not sure how we do against that type of team.

I also think our zone is going to allow for some interesting back and forth against teams that can shoot it well, and are on par with us athletically, or better.

Nevertheless, it's good to see all the ball movement, and people hitting shots. It's a really fun team to speculate about right now because of that...and just to see how they do moving forward. The offense is certainly more fun to watch than it has been.
I'm worried too when those up in your face defensive teams come up...but honestly I have more faith this year in our team collectively breaking whatever press is being shown.

We’ll know a lot more after the next 3 games.

Pretty simple.

Today was good to see. But Bucknell, while not a bad team, is the perfect matchup for SU.

We’ll soon be playing teams that can pressure the ball and defend the 3. When that happens, we’ll need different answers.

I'm with you. I want to judge based on trends, not outliers. And hopefully the earlier games will be the outliers.

I'll add that I was honestly surprised how many people were writing off the season after the Virginia game. Despite this board being located on the internet, I really thought this board was smarter than that.
some of us are ;)

Well probably lose a few games we should win and win a few that wI’ll shock people.

Penn State will be a good gauge if we see them ...they play D in your face

Here's what I think we have:

Competitive 5 on 5 practices with scholarship level talent throughout that are helping guys to improve.

Heady fastbreak leaders in Girard, Hughes and Dolejaz that can get the ball up court, and see play developing, and hit open or soon to be open players with precise passes, and can also pull it back to hit a trailing shooter on the secondary break.

The ability to put lineups on the floor with at least 2 above average 3 point shooters for 40 minutes a game.

Players that are confident as a team and look for each other.

Young talents that will settle and improve throughout the season.

A lucky break that Girard is mentally far more ready for minutes than is probably ideal and beyond what we could have reasonably expected.

Just what will all translate to into season results is hard to say, but man, we sure do look a lot better and like basketball is just easier these days.

almost as crazy as people thinking we’ve got a squad because we smashed a trash team. It’s a fan forum, the crazy makes it fun.

I didn't see the Cornell game, but just from checking the score, etc...wasn't that game a 30 minute scoring drought to kick things off before we got hot for the last 11 minutes?

Genuinely curious, I DID NOT see the game.
Essentially. They let Cornell really dictate the tempo of the game for extended periods. Our players look much more comfortable when the play is allowed to flow freely; slowing things down makes some of guys look really uncomfortable and shaky. This is where better movement (which has been improving) really needs to come into play.

To their credit, I think the Cornell game and the issues therein were very helpful for today, and hopefully moving forward. I'd like to say the same about UVA, but 34 points... that's just a lobotomy. No good way to look at it.

Essentially. They let Cornell really dictate the tempo of the game for extended periods. Our players look much more comfortable when the play is allowed to flow freely; slowing things down makes some of guys look really uncomfortable and shaky. This is where better movement (which has been improving) really needs to come into play.

To their credit, I think the Cornell game and the issues therein were very helpful for today, and hopefully moving forward. I'd like to say the same about UVA, but 34 points... that's just a lobotomy. No good way to look at it.

I think Buddy was pressing a bit playing against his brother. His footwork was horrible the other night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom