Was it just Bucknell or.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Was it just Bucknell or..

My two cents... Bucknell didn’t play defense. Sure some of it is because of our O, but Bucknell literally didn’t move to guard passes to the opposite side of the court. I have a hard time believing they will win the Patriots league this year. That was a pretty bad team out there .

My two cents... Bucknell didn’t play defense. Sure some of it is because of our O, but Bucknell literally didn’t move to guard passes to the opposite side of the court. I have a hard time believing they will win the Patriots league this year. That was a pretty bad team out there .

Bucknell is 159 in Kenpom this am. Not great, not terrible either.

1574604751993.png

How accurate is Kenpom this early in the season? any algorithm is only as good as the data it has and right now the sample sizes are way too small.

Bucknell lost to UVM by 3. UVM lost to UVA by 6 and beat St. John’s. We are definitely better than we were game 1 against Virginia.

They also lost to Penn State by 28. I would say the data is mixed at best, but definitely agree that at a minimum we look better than we did in game 1 against UVA.

They also lost to Penn State by 28. I would say the data is mixed at best, but definitely agree that at a minimum we look better than we did in game 1 against UVA.

As part of a second half meltdown. It was a 3 pt game at the half. Also Penn State padded that margin in the last 12 minutes as it was around 15-17 before Bucknell gave in.

Of course I have concerns for this team when they start hitting better teams and ACC play but I think this team is better than last year‘s team in certain areas. Less athletic but much much better moving the ball and better at hitting shots especially at the three and probably better on defense as well because they’re much more active!!

I also think that joe girard is going to turn out to be something special And Boeheim is almost there in terms of both of their ability to shoot from wherever

We’ll know after the next five games. Real teams, legitimate P5, not top 15 but decent. Heckuva lot more than Cornell, Colgate and Bucknell, who’ve gotten thumped by every decent team they played.

Just needs to keep building up his confidence. He flashed with a couple of nice drives and finishes to the basket.
Goodine is going to be really good once he figures it out and understands his role and can get a little more comfortable playing PG. With Hughes, Buddy, JG3 and Goodine, we have the potential to have 4 guys shooting near or over 40 percent from 3. To say nothing of Marek, who has shown he can knock them down when open, and Quincy, who should focus on operating in the lane but can hit an occasional 3.

almost as crazy as people thinking we’ve got a squad because we smashed a trash team. It’s a fan forum, the crazy makes it fun.

Bucknell is not a "trash team". They made a lot of turnovers, but that team has won their league 8 of the last 9 years - meaning that they've been an NCAA team 8 out of the last 9 years.

I'll add that I was honestly surprised how many people were writing off the season after the Virginia game. Despite this board being located on the internet, I really thought this board was smarter than that.

I still think that Virginia game was an important data point. At least as important as the Bucknell data point. It was such extreme incompetence that I can only view the performance against Bucknell as fools gold.

The next 2 weeks will tell us the truth. It is hard to believe we installed a smoothly flowing, shot creating offense in 10 days, but maybe we did. Lets see what norm we revert to when somedody defends us. The Virginia standard (which was a complete clusterflub) or Bucknell (which was smooth running offense that worked for and found good shots).

I still think that Virginia game was an important data point. At least as important as the Bucknell data point. It was such extreme incompetence that I can only view the performance against Bucknell as fools gold.

The next 2 weeks will tell us the truth. It is hard to believe we installed a smoothly flowing, shot creating offense in 10 days, but maybe we did. Lets see what norm we revert to when somedody defends us. The Virginia standard (which was a complete clusterflub) or Bucknell (which was smooth running offense that worked for and found good shots).

I think/hope a big part of that was giving Carey big minutes. It was 13-2 when Girard came in with 10 minutes to go in the first half. Girard steadied the ship the rest of the half and we made a bit of a run. JB then started Carey the 2nd half and we couldn't score again. The same thing happened the Colgate game and then JB had enough and pulled the plug.

Also Virginia has also held 5 of 6 opponents below 50. Their defense is ridiculously good.

This feels like a Mike Brey team - shooters everywhere, not the most athletic, lacking a big inside presence, good ball movement and spacing but can be punk'd by a team that plays tight D.

i think this team is pretty good and going to get even better

but i also think that bucknell got punched in the mouth early and . . . i hate to say quit, but they definitely had the fight taken out of them quickly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom