Was the Syracuse lacrosse team's blowout loss to Maryland just a slip or a bigger sign? | Syracusefan.com

Was the Syracuse lacrosse team's blowout loss to Maryland just a slip or a bigger sign?

That was one data point.

The obvious issue with the team is that with the defense you have a kid at close that didn't really play last year, another with Mullins who is coming off a major knee injury and missed most of last year and two new primary guys at SSM, Grimm played some, but not much, last year.

That's three guys with very little experience in the back six.

The thing that really bugged me last week was the new man up unit came up with zero on two minutes worth of unreleasable time. That's unacceptable with the talent on that unit.

The thing that really bugged me last week was the new man up unit came up with zero on two minutes worth of unreleasable time. That's unacceptable with the talent on that unit.

man up has been a multi-year trend. i didn't watch the game so i wont analyze the unit from saturday, but the man up unit has been poor for a few seasons now. I've never seen man up units that carry the ball with their feet as much as Syracuse's.

man up has been a multi-year trend. i didn't watch the game so i wont analyze the unit from saturday, but the man up unit has been poor for a few seasons now. I've never seen man up units that carry the ball with their feet as much as Syracuse's.

It was Staats, Rice, Donahue, Maltz, Galasso. Can't remember off the top of my head if the sixth was Schoonmaker or Loy.

Anyways, regardless of who the sixth guy is, that group of five should be scoring a very high percentage of the time man up. To be O for in those situations is horrible.

It was Staats, Rice, Donahue, Maltz, Galasso. Can't remember off the top of my head if the sixth was Schoonmaker or Loy.

Anyways, regardless of who the sixth guy is, that group of five should be scoring a very high percentage of the time man up. To be O for in those situations is horrible.

The man up unit was Staats, Rice, Donahue, Galasso, Maltz and Dejoe. Walters was on it but got bumped late in the Albany game and appears to be in the dog house. As PhatO pointed out the man up unit has been issue almost as long as the issues at the X. Probably going on 4 years now we haven't been able to get any sort of consistency from the man up unit, a few years ago it was downright awful. The problem I see is that there isnt the ball movement that other teams have on the man up. Watch Maryland on the man up they were flinging the ball all over the place, in and out around and back etc. We tend to play the man up like were running our regular offense trying to find a great matchup versus passing the ball around and forcing the defense to leave someone open (which is what usually happens on a successful man up). The man up also hasnt been helped by the fact Walters had at least two terrible shots on goal and then two bad turnovers where he dropped a pass trying to shoot to quick.

With Galasso back in the fold I am hopeful this unit would have more success but the man up unit had two chances late in the 4th quarter against Albany and then multiple chances against Maryland and came up with Zero each time. Desko has tried to mix in bench guys with starters which produced mediocore results but the all starter lineup is O fer the last two games. We need much better ball movement and to keep tinkering with the lineup until we find something that works.

Man up has been bad for several years now, probably at least 3 more likely 4. 3 one minute unreleasable penalties and no points is pretty much unheard of. That being said the players on the man up unit have been dissapointing. Walters was a disaster, Dejoe looks lost, and someone should tell Derek Maltz the season started because hes been completely MIA. Staats and Galasso should both be out there moving forward with Rice and Donahue after that I would like to see a young guy maybe Dylan Maltz or Evans to go with an outside guy ie Loy, Dejoe or Walters (if he can get his head right). Thats a pretty solid lineup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom