Washington vs Arizona St | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Washington vs Arizona St

Kaiser led the charge against Hop.
This is wrong. a LOT of people led that charge. I would think around half the board did not want him as the next head coach, or at least wanted a 'national search' for a 'name'.

Now, as Xtreme said, they long for Hop like
Happy_gif.gif

And I don't see in his post where he blamed fans for Hop's leaving. Read it again. All he said was people wanted him gone, and now they fawn over him.

This is wrong. a LOT of people led that charge. I would think around half the board did not want him as the next head coach, or at least wanted a 'national search' for a 'name'.

Now, as Xtreme said, they long for Hop like
View attachment 121388

And I don't see in his post where he blamed fans for Hop's leaving. Read it again. All he said was people wanted him gone, and now they fawn over him.
I love my guy Kaiser but he was the guy I remember hammering Hop for the 9 game audition.
Mind you he could be right still.

Fans that wanted him gone wanted him to show he was the guy.
If Hop left 5 years ago and was doing what he is now. He would be everyone’s pick. He would have done what Roy Williams did at Kansas and shown he is a good coach and not just replaced Dean Smith when he retired.

That is what most people wanted with Hop.

If Hop left 5 years ago and was doing what he is now. He would be everyone’s pick. He would have done what Roy Williams did at Kansas and shown he is a good coach and not just replaced Dean Smith when he retired.

That is what most people wanted with Hop.
That's a pretty high bar.

JB is why Hop left.
This season was suppose to be Jb’s Last year.
Hop wasn’t being allowed to shop for his own groceries.
Hop knew JB didn’t want out he left.
Please stop bringing this up. It just reminds me of how the University royally fckd this up. JB is at fault mostly for manipulating the situation, but this is where an AD needs to be in close contact with all the coaches and reading the tea leaves. The AD should have been the one to tell JB to play nice, develop a transition strategy and exit gracefully to avoid needless fallout and speculation.

I've watched every game of both SU and UW. One team has shown tremendous improvement since the beginning of the season and one team has not. I know that there are a lot of extenuating circumstances with this SU team in terms of unexpected departures and injuries, and overall I think that JB is doing the best he can with this team.

My comment about keeping the wrong coach is more about the future of the program than it is about what's happening right now at this very minute.

First and foremost I am a fan of Syracuse University basketball.

I want what is best for the continued, sustained success of the Syracuse program.

Punting the retirement decision down the road while burning the bridge you had in place to potentially sustain that success isn't a good recipe IMO. It just moved everything down the road for however long JB wants to coach. The same recruiting uncertainty we had previously is going to come back up again, and who knows how the transition will play out?

IThe same recruiting uncertainty we had previously is going to come back up again, and who knows how the transition will play out?
It will be an issue in 2 years. The negative recruiting will start all over again. Only thing that can bring Hop back is if his parents relocate to the east coast. cuseinseattle needs to start working on putting a package together.

Might need an all inclusive Hop vs JB thread. This debate isn't going to go away anytime soon.

A unified thread would be amazing. I'm sure there are going to be 1000 knee jerk reactions and overreactions along the ride. We really don't know how any of this will play out in the long term. I love what Hop has done so far but 16 wins doesn't make him a genius yet. I also don't buy into the notion that career accomplishments are the same thing as current abilities. Players can have off years, and I believe coaches can as well. Boeheim will look a lot smarter when he has better players on the court.

I also don't buy into the notion that career accomplishments are the same thing as current abilities. Players can have off years, and I believe coaches can as well. Boeheim will look a lot smarter when he has better players on the court.
Nobody is debating that next year will be an improvement. My fear is the bar is now so low that just being off the bubble discussion next year will be considered an accomplishment. We have maybe 2 years to cash in on JB's last hurrah. The real issues will resurface in 2020 and it has the potential to be a sordid mess from that point on. Simply because JB doesn't seem like the type to develop an exit strategy.

When Hop went 4-5 you people all wanted him run out of town.

Now you're all sorry he's gone.
Thank you so much for that post. I mean, the very same people wanted him out and a national search.

Might need an all inclusive Hop vs JB thread. This debate isn't going to go away anytime soon.
I believe that there is the potential for a Win/Win/Win/Win for all the parties involved, so don't think a straight either/or debate works. I also think that we should allow discussion about it only in the new thread, then hide it from everyone...with no link by bookmark.

not a hijack but i did tune in last night to the second half and OT to see temple knock off the shockers. LOVE IT !

It's zone vs. man 2.0!

I’m one of those who simply wanted a ‘cleaning house’ new coach outside of the program. However, I wasn’t judging Hop on his 4-5 substitute performance. Obviously the guy had to play JB’s style and way and keep his ideas on the back burner.

I’m definitely happy for him and hope he can maintain sustainability there. I’m sure it wasn’t easy for him the past few years. He had to shoulder a huge load in all facets of the program. Really like what I’ve seen from him and UW in the few times I’ve seen them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom