Watch this game from 2008 Kansas-Syracuse CBE Classic | Syracusefan.com

Watch this game from 2008 Kansas-Syracuse CBE Classic

Alsacs

Living Legend
Kansas was torching the zone and JB switched defenses to man to man. It made the difference and we came back to win in OT.
2008 JB was coming off back to back NIT and made adjustments.
2016 JB won't get out of the zone with a team that can't play it well.
Cmon JB try some man to man. Mix it in.

Kansas was torching the zone and JB player man to man. It made the difference and we came back to win in OT.

Didn't you watch the game last night? We left zone pretty early on in the second half . . . it did not go well.

Didn't you watch the game last night? We left zone pretty early on in the second half . . . it did not go well.
We didn't play m2m. He tried the press a little but this team can't play the zone well.
JB should see how they do in a m2m situation and it would definitely throw the opponent off.

I'm not sure what the heck we were doing. That really was man? It looked like our 2-3 but with the wings up, like our 4-1. It was so awful that I'm genuinely not sure if it was zone, man, the old Tark amoeba minus three players. No clue. It was like we had a substitution error and were playing 2 on 5. At one point, I think Ollie from Hoosiers was out there. On second thought, that's an insult to Ollie. Ollie played hard.

Last edited:
We didn't play m2m. He tried the press a little but this team can't play the zone well.
JB should see how they do in a m2m situation and it would definitely throw the opponent off.
nah I think if you rewatch he essentially went man at least a few trips down trying to do something about SJ's double high-post

nah I think if you rewatch he essentially went man at least a few trips down trying to do something about SJ's double high-post
I stopped watching the last 5 minutes I can't lie. If we switched then I am wrong. I didn't see m2m when SJU went on there huge run to kill the game.

"Essentially?" Was it so bad you can't say it was "literally" man defense? I turned it off with maybe 3-4 minutes left. I couldn't watch another second.

Every year I rewatch this game. One of my favs to date. Speaking of Pitt; that is where I was watching that one. Good memories!

So we played zone AND man last night and both we couldn't play?

So these kids who have played basketball their entire lives can't play either of the most common defenses that exist? And we can't run a coherent offense? Or get into transition?

Our players must suck. Or...Our coaching is atrocious.

We played 4 different defenses last night. Zone, then as mentioned some weird thing with nobody down low (almost definitely some player was in the wrong place), then man to man, then press. Each defense was worse than the last.

People try so hard to blame the coaches that they have to make stuff up like Boeheim won't try anything new. He tried everything last night. This is on the players. The players sucked yesterday and have sucked all season.

We played 4 different defenses last night. Zone, then as mentioned some weird thing with nobody down low (almost definitely some player was in the wrong place), then man to man, then press. Each defense was worse than the last.

People try so hard to blame the coaches that they have to make stuff up like Boeheim won't try anything new. He tried everything last night. This is on the players. The players sucked yesterday and have sucked all season.
I think you are one of the top 5 posters on the BB board but we didn't play m2m while the game was competitive within 20.
It was zone and press for the first 32 minutes.
If we changed the game was over at that point.

Kansas was torching the zone and JB switched defenses to man to man. It made the difference and we came back to win in OT.
Insane how good that block was by Harris and the crossover by Flynn

That team 1-7 would run circles around us right now

It doesn't matter what defense we play. We have two guys that can score against P5/BE/AAC teams and they are both forwards. The offense may be worse. We will be lucky to break 60 all season in the ACC.

It doesn't matter what defense we play. We have two guys that can score against P5/BE/AAC teams and they are both forwards. The offense may be worse. We will be lucky to break 60 all season in the ACC.
We only had 2 scorers last year. We need the D to be decent to win.
This team can't play JB's zone thus JB should try to adjust like he did in 2008.

We only had 2 scorers last year. We need the D to be decent to win.
This team can't play JB's zone thus JB should try to adjust like he did in 2008.

I agree with changing it up, but we had at least 4 guys average double figures last year. This team has two and I really don't think it matters what defense we play IMO, we are a bad team. We don't play as a team on offense and we don't help on defense. They could press all game and lose by 50.

So we played zone AND man last night and both we couldn't play?

So these kids who have played basketball their entire lives can't play either of the most common defenses that exist? And we can't run a coherent offense? Or get into transition?

Our players must suck. Or...Our coaching is atrocious.

The excuses some make are insane. Always an excuse why we can't do something. They're friggin basketball players. D-1 athletes. Some with NBA hopes. Act like it's friggin rocket science to play offense and defense.

"Essentially?" Was it so bad you can't say it was "literally" man defense? I turned it off with maybe 3-4 minutes left. I couldn't watch another second.

I admire you for making it that far. I was done by the 8 minute mark.

The excuses some make are insane. Always an excuse why we can't do something. They're friggin basketball players. D-1 athletes. Some with NBA hopes. Act like it's friggin rocket science to play offense and defense.

I agree. Last night was more about effort than anything. You can hate JBs strategy all you want, but if the players don't care it doesn't matter what the coach does. I think that's the bigger issue. It's not like we gave up a ton of points to Wisconsin, UConn and South Carolina. We were lucky to get 50 those games. Yesterday was just about quitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom