Watched the replay last night | Syracusefan.com

Watched the replay last night

Crusty

Living Legend
First off, I wanted to see what happened on Robinson’s first TD. It was a very well designed play setup by the play before it. On the first play, they threw a screen to Robinson in the slot, which went for over 10 yards. On the next play, from the same formation, Robinson headed for the wide out as if to block on a bubble screen but then broke down the field and was wide open. Great play, well setup and beautifully executed. That is the kind of thing I hope to see with Broyld.

Broyld
There were two missed scoring opportunities involving Broyld. The first everyone remembers when a somewhat high but catchable throw on a slant was dropped by Ashton. It looked like 6 from where I was sitting. The second was when Broyld beat his guy badly on a post and Allen threw it expecting a corner.

The move AB put on the guy in open field on the screen pass was impressive and he got us a first down. He looked like he got open a couple of times and Allen never saw him.
Dumb, dumb, dumb personal foul that hurt us. C’mon Ashton, use your head - you could have been throw out and missed the NW game.

Allen
For full disclosure I would have preferred to start the soph purely for futures reasons. I also don’t see how anybody can come in after four years of another program and be ready to play in a few weeks. By the time he learns the system the season may be over. He threw more passes Saturday than he did in four years at OSU.

Anyway, trying to be objective, he started out like a house on fire and it was hard not to think whoa Crusty, you are dead wrong and this guy is much more than expected. However, as the game settled in the problems surfaced. Allen was a first read guy for the rest of the game. He was very inaccurate and threw several ill-advised passes. Two of his long passes were thrown OOB, one was very long, and two were miscommunications. I don’t know who was at fault but it happened with at least four different receivers so I would guess the arrow is mostly pointing at Drew.

We are all puzzled why he ran only once. Against that defense we needed something more than off tackle plays. We’ll see how much he improves in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, he is a fast learner like Ryan.

McDonald
I am sure that he will be more critical of himself than I could possibly be so I am not going to dump on the guy on his initial outing. He didn’t have the luxury of working out the kinks with a Wagner and having to go against PSU in your inaugural is a bit much. Add some more plays for Broyld, Estime and Morris and settle down. The last guy to throw you under the bus is your boss. So, relax – he has your back and around here that is enough.

Lester
The coach with the most work ahead of him this week is probably Lester, He has to get Allen to shake it off and to work hard with the receivers. We’ll see what we have with Lester this year. He has a big challenge and little time to do it.

Special Teams
Krautman appears to have lost his confidence. Not sure what can be done. Rogers had a bad game as LS. No biggie, he didn’t let it bother him later on in the game – he will be just fine.
Ritchie Rene played well. He is sure handed and takes care of the ball. He won’t inspire us but he won’t hurt us either. GMII had a couple of nice returns and it looks as is he will break one or two this year.

Coverage was good except for the one time when we out-kicked the coverage.

Couple of thoughts
For its first game our D was great. Only two glaring mistakes and one was more good play by them than bad play by us. Forced turnovers, stuffed a good running team and really hard-nosed. I think we are going to love these guys this year. We will go to a bowl game on their backs.

I suspect that the OLine is going to grow into a solid unit as the year goes on. If our passing game had gelled, we could have forced them out of the box and we would have been able to run more effectively.

I have no idea how to evaluate our WRs based on Saturday. Anybody have any thoughts?

We ran 74 plays half pass and half rush. Need to pick it up.

I have no idea how to evaluate our WRs based on Saturday. Anybody have any thoughts?

We ran 74 plays half pass and half rush. Need to pick it up.

Thanks for the thoughts.

My take on the WR- They weren't put in a position to succeed. We got used to Alec Lemon going across the middle of the field last season, and Penn State was practically giving it to Syracuse by the end of the game. But the passing routes seemed to focus more on coming back to the ball/gaining big chunks of yards along the sidelines than keeping the chains moving. Bad routes + bad communication + bad planning = way too many third and longs.

My biggest question- Why was J. Smith on the bench for the entire third quarter? I could only take so many 2 yard gains by PTG.

I agree with you in regards to Allen. I just can't stop thinking why didn't Oklahoma even give him a chance to compete this year for the starting job? I think he could be very good with time, but he doesn't have much of it. That's why I wanted to start with Hunt unless Allen looked significantly better.

That touchdown by Robinson was basically the same play Mike Williams scored on in 09 multiple times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I am remiss in not mentioning West's nice seal block on Smith's TD run after the Kobena reception. Did a real nice job.

I rewatched the Broyld dropped pass about 10 times. He would've been tackled at the 7 yard line. No doubt. But would've been huge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom