Watching fsu | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Watching fsu

Who wants to play for Jimbo? All that talent you marvel at.

Jimbo has the whole package. Tonight was not his program's night, but his long-term results speak for themselves.

Remind me not to let you in on my program's next coaching search.

Your loss. Best of luck. Tough game in multiple ways. Jimbo absolutely doesn't have the whole package, and it's obvious, but I know tension is high there.

stevenatusc.PNG

We're not in the same stratosphere as these teams. College football might have the biggest gap between elite and mediocre teams of any major sport.

Years ago this post would have been met with venom. And it's not the first part of your post I'm talking about.

44cuse

He's 78-18 with a championship...

Nice. Saban has 19 losses at Bama, and 30 something more wins. The talent level is the same.

Point is that Jimbo gets talent lining up at his doorstep, but should do more with it. Oh yeah, Saban has how many Chips at Bama? I forget. FSU could have won that game with decent coaching.

Works for me, as we may have a shot against them. Dino is a better coach, by far.

Just crown Bama Champions now. I dont see any team capable of beating them this year.
What did Bama do that impressed you so much to say this?

FSU melted down after they weren't given a 1st and Goal from the 1 before half with the obvious missed PI.

Bama is legit and doesn't make mistakes but after watching Kelly Bryant play today, I think Clemson vs Bama pt 3 may be in the works.. especially if Francois is done for any period of time.

I don't think Bama is unbeatable, however you won't beat them if you can't play a clean game.

I don't care about FSU because they've been better than us for basically my entire sports fandom life. Kinda pisses me off when I look at the top ten and see other schools we used to be just as good as or better than: Washington, Clemson, Wisconsin, Ok State.

And look at the top 25 and see so many schools I've watched us beat: OSU, Clemson, PSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Auburn, LSU, Louisville, Miami, Florida, Kansas St, WVU, VT...

Many of those were awhile ago, but we hammered Louisville, Kansas St., and WVU not that long ago. Those games weren't even close.

I'm so anxious to get back into the college football picture.

Nice. Saban has 19 losses at Bama, and 30 something more wins. The talent level is the same.

Point is that Jimbo gets talent lining up at his doorstep, but should do more with it. Oh yeah, Saban has how many Chips at Bama? I forget. FSU could have won that game with decent coaching.

Works for me, as we may have a shot against them. Dino is a better coach, by far.

That's a stretch of a statement re: Dino and I love Dino. Jimbo's performance to date is excellent...period.

I think it is really tough to play Alabama in these early season games. They have so much talent, speed, power, and football IQ. They can come in with new kids, play vanilla football, and still embarrass you whereas other powerhouse teams are still working kinks out and trying to function properly.

Last edited:
That's a stretch of a statement re: Dino and I love Dino. Jimbo's performance to date is excellent...period.

I think it is really tough to play Alabama in these early season games. They have so much talent, speed, power, and football IQ. They can come in with new kids, play vanilla football, and still embarrass you whereas other powerhouse teams are still working kinks out.

Yeah. I probably should just keep it simple for my own good. Jimbo is overrated. A kick return TD, and Winston/Benjamin brought them back for his Championship.

My last thought on this. I'm glad he's the coach, as we do have to play them. I hope Francois is alright.

we have zero shot against them. That team could play with their third string qb vs us and win. They are so much bigger deeper and faster then us they will just wear us out and pull away down the stretch

we have zero shot against them. That team could play with their third string qb vs us and win. They are so much bigger deeper and faster then us they will just wear us out and pull away down the stretch

Might as well make it another bye week then.

Our best hope vs FSU is that they lost to Bama, lose a few more times before us and a ton of suspensions. Indifference can sway football games in major ways.

It is what it is. I don't think SU has the kinds of personnel WMU does. It's not putting anybody down. Like mentioned above it was 28-28 with 7 min left.
That's Fleck's talent. Lester won't be able to maintain it.

What did Bama do that impressed you so much to say this?

FSU melted down after they weren't given a 1st and Goal from the 1 before half with the obvious missed PI.

Bama is legit and doesn't make mistakes but after watching Kelly Bryant play today, I think Clemson vs Bama pt 3 may be in the works.. especially if Francois is done for any period of time.

I don't think Bama is unbeatable, however you won't beat them if you can't play a clean game.

The most impressive thing to me about Bama last night was their defense lost 7 starters to the NFL and then had one of their starting DL limited from being shot last weekend and 4 of their 5 best LB's missed all or a majority of the second half due to injury and they still held FSU to just 7 points. That's nuts the factory they have over there.

FSU DL was unbelievable. They made Bama's OL look average/below average and that was a group Phil Steele had as a top 3 OL preseason so my guess is that FSU defense puts up some insane games this year. I'm only half joking when I suggest we should sit Dungey for that game so they don't concuss him and end his career. Really hope Francois doesn't miss too much time. The shot of him praying with tears in his eyes carted off to the locker room was tough to watch.

Excited to see Clemson/Auburn, OSU/OU and UGA/ND next weekend.

Last edited:
We look like a bunch of geriatrics compared to either of these teams. Question is do we have one person that would start on either of these teams.
.are you sa.ying we don't belong in the ACC? Heresy

That's Fleck's talent. Lester won't be able to maintain it.
I don't agree. I think Lester and Daoust are both good coaches and evaluators of talent. And I have heard, without exception, that Lester was probably one of the most accessible and personable coaches on the Shafer staff. I think as a WMU alum he will have the full backing of that school and do well there.

Then you've not talked much with Coach Lester.
I don't agree. I think Lester and Daoust are both good coaches and evaluators of talent. And I have heard, without exception, that Lester was probably one of the most accessible and personable coaches on the Shafer staff. I think as a WMU alum he will have the full backing of that school and do well there.
It's not about Lester. It's about a non-traditional power coming out of nowhere then losing their coach. Boise State kept the good times rolling, but what other programs have pulled that off?

It's not about Lester. It's about a non-traditional power coming out of nowhere then losing their coach. Boise State kept the good times rolling, but what other programs have pulled that off?
BGSU did with Clawson and then with Babers. Both won conference titles.

*And Cubits' record at WMU wasn't too bad until his last year.

Last edited:
NIU.

BGSU did with Clawson and then with Babers.
BGSU also went on a long, slow slide after Meyer left and before Clawson got there. And they were awful after Babers left.

Kent State couldn't sustain the one good year they had with Darrell Hazell. Central Michigan fell off when Brian Kelly left, Butch Jones brought them back, then they fell off again. Northern Illinois sustained success between Kill and Doeren, but have been slipping under Carey. Stan Parrish couldn't sustain Brady Hoke's success at Ball State. Same with Jeff Quinn, who followed Turner Gill at Buffalo.

Yes, there are outliers (Toledo), but the point is that success is hard to sustain, especially in the MAC. And the benchmark Fleck set is almost impossible for any coach to meet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom