Watching the defense in person | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Watching the defense in person

I can see that when its a pass to the wing but that was closer to the top of the key. Not looking to argue but it just looks bad on tape to have 2 defenders right next to each other with. That left Marek and Sidibe to cover all the paint and the whole baseline. It would be in football, having a corner and a safety from the same side blitz leaving the WR streaking downfield uncovered
True but I think they've got Eli primed to err on the side of guarding up top. It may not have been exactly what JB would have wanted but it's within the range of an Eli judgement call.

Not a scheme problem. If the guard on that side was of average or better quickness, Eli stays home.
Honestly we see that forward come up regardless of personnel. It just looks ridiculous when they overcommit.

I can see that when its a pass to the wing but that was closer to the top of the key. Not looking to argue but it just looks bad on tape to have 2 defenders right next to each other with. That left Marek and Sidibe to cover all the paint and the whole baseline. It would be in football, having a corner and a safety from the same side blitz leaving the WR streaking downfield uncovered
Oh, I agree- not arguing at all.
Its an unusual twist and speaks to JB's creativity w/ his defense, but its a one-trick pony meant to frustrate the poorer teams into losses, and especially if our offense is really clicking that day, we could pull out a W against even the good teams.
I've noticed as the season has gone on, more teams are playing better against that tweak, Why? Probably because they're seeing more film on it, and we're simply playing better teams. That's always been one of JB's "issues" regarding the zone, IMO. Teams in conference always get better and/or more comfortable facing it, and we end up hoping/waiting to get to the post-season so we can stymie a team that's never played against SU's 2-3. JMHO

We need athleticism in the backcourt. We don’t have the length so we aren’t forcing enough turnovers...
Agreed. One of the goals of Boeheim’s zone is to intercept or at least deflect passes, causing turnovers. This year we’re averaging only 7.2 steals per game vs. 8.2 last season and 9.1 in 2012-13.

If anyone wants to see the zone shredded in excruciating detail ... the UNC SB Nation blog has a post up with GIFs.

Keeling_9.gif

Bourama with a classic fly-by.
This play makes zero sense

one guard rotates back the other goes to the glass. not like joe and buddy standing out top with their hands in their shorts.

If Buddy can’t slide 3 feet then he needs to play the wing. That type of overcompensating renders the zone useless.
It only works if the opponent can't shoot 3's very well.
2nd half UNC was something like 8 for 11...and mostly wide open looks.

Eli came up too far. But watch next game and you'll see its a regular move we've been doing since about game 6-7.
Hughes is also suppose to deny the passing lane to the corner, forcing the pass or the drive in Buddy's direction.

If the pass is lobbed over Hughes to the corner Sidibe should be able to contest the 3.

Easier said than done

Our guards just can’t stop the ball and we don’t deny passes with their length.
We need athleticism on the floor.
It doesn’t mean shooting isn’t great on offense. We just can’t get enough stops against certain type of teams.

We need to play offense/defense during games.
I like the players on this team. I just don’t like them as fits for the 100% zone.
UNC carved us up and it was easy for them.

It only works if the opponent can't shoot 3's very well.
2nd half UNC was something like 8 for 11...and mostly wide open looks.
They were under 30% from 3 before our game, but hit 42% (11 for 26) against us. The game 4 days before ours, against NC State on February 25, they shot 18% (3 for 16). So the plan to pack-it-in made sense for us, until they started making their 3s in the second half. It was only a 5 point game at the half.

They were under 30% from 3 before our game, but hit 42% (11 for 26) against us. The game 4 days before ours, against NC State on February 25, they shot 18% (3 for 16). So the plan to pack-it-in made sense for us, until they started making their 3s in the second half. It was only a 5 point game at the half.
UNC scored 40 points in the first half and they couldn’t make 3’s.
Our defense was brutal the entire game.
They killed us on the glass in the first half.
That 16-0 run can’t happen against this team.
If our guards aren’t making shots we need athleticism in the backcourt.

Yes. I will make the photo my avatar when I change it. Edelman was kinda annoying as he acts like a child.
Brady was all class. I heard thru the grapevine his appearance fee was 250k. I wish I had that amount of bleep you money.

No way the school did. Those are Weitsman’s seats. He or his company/LLC whatever paid it.

Hmm, who'd have thunk it...

I don't think it's any secret that it's the worst defensive backcourt SU has ever had.

Possible exception of 2005-06 which needed the miracle GMac run to get into the NCAA Tournament.

Need to get better players, bottom line. In the backcourt, in the frontcourt. Everywhere.

If anyone wants to see the zone shredded in excruciating detail ... the UNC SB Nation blog has a post up with GIFs.

Keeling_9.gif

Bourama with a classic fly-by.

JGIII strolls into the lane #4 Robinson blows right by him for a probable put-back slam.
Wrong to expect awareness/box out to prevent lane freight train? Looked tired.
Lots of ugly in that short video -had to force myself to stop watching it.

Considering Anthony had 6 threes and Buddy didn’t even seem to react to him getting the ball maybe he does.
Our guards either don’t recognize, can’t react and move fast enough and/or don’t care to do so. With Buddy and JG3, this team is never going to be good enough on D, and with such weaknesses everywhere, there won’t be enough to overcome that. While we thought this year might be rock bottom, I’m not sure we’re any better over the next 2 years.

We need better guard play, more athleticism and size everywhere, and an actual shot blocking presence inside to get the zone to be a factor again. Until that happens, the zone will continue to hurt more than help.

too many minutes and no real fear of being pulled or losing time imo. hands on hips/knees is a dead tired tell.

i agree with the tired argument. Being exhausted shows when blowing late game leads and failing to make the hustle plays. Too many times Joe and Buddy show lack of effort on the long rebound, getting to loose balls and making winning plays. I would bring the offending player to the bench right after a lackadaisical close out or failure to hustle for rebound. Players miss shots and you can live with it. Can’t have a team get accustomed to “lazy” plays by leaders if you are going to do little things to win. Bench players can come in and bring energy and show starters what energy level needs to be done. A few less minutes would be a good thing but not sure we will see it. If that’s the case then both Buddy and joe need to be 40% shooters to make up for plays on ther other end.

cuse

Our guards either don’t recognize, can’t react and move fast enough and/or don’t care to do so. With Buddy and JG3, this team is never going to be good enough on D, and with such weaknesses everywhere, there won’t be enough to overcome that. While we thought this year might be rock bottom, I’m not sure we’re any better over the next 2 years.

We need better guard play, more athleticism and size everywhere, and an actual shot blocking presence inside to get the zone to be a factor again. Until that happens, the zone will continue to hurt more than help.
That's the sad reality

Less athletic guards can make up for that somewhat by playing high energy/high intensity.
Less athletic guards playing 40" = Double-Whammy?
40" against high energy teams with better athletes that sub out seems to ask a lot.
I'd probably "take plays off" -not lazy/intentional but subconsciously, to conserve energy.

We need athleticism in the backcourt.
We don’t have the length so we aren’t forcing enough turnovers.

I think the shooting helps the offense but a deeper rotation honestly would help this team.
It makes no sense to play the guys we do as many minutes as they do.
We can’t comeback if we can’t get stops and our rebounding was exposed by UNC they played volleyball when they missed in the first half and the second half they just made those 3’s early on and it was over.

I give the team credit for doing as well as it has in conference play but the backcourt is killing us on defense. If we had a Chukwu defensive type it would help the initial shot defense but our rebounding would be still be questionable.

We need 4 quality guards and rotate them unless one of the 4 is a true superstar. How didn’t Triche play high 30 MPG? We had actual quality depth in our top 3.

The defense was just brutal on Saturday but it was a great day.
The problem with our guards inability to contain opposing guards' penetration isn't length, it's slow feet and lateral quickness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom