Watching the defense in person | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Watching the defense in person

If anyone wants to see the zone shredded in excruciating detail ... the UNC SB Nation blog has a post up with GIFs.

Keeling_9.gif

Bourama with a classic fly-by.

Truly exceptional effort by Buddy and Joe on this possession. UNC is playing 5 on 3 here.

It didn’t matter. The guy shooting the actual ball was wide open and buried it

No, I think it actually does matter, because unless we get a blocked shot on the center fly-by, the offensive rebounding potential goes up dramatically. It didn't matter on this shot, but over the course of a full season I'd bet we give up more points having the center fly out there - seems like the other team either makes the 3, or misses and makes an easy layup. The aggregate points allowed total on this opportunity is most likely higher than if we just let the shooter shoot the original open shot.

Truly exceptional effort by Buddy and Joe on this possession. UNC is playing 5 on 3 here.
If you watch the end, you see Buddy and Joe turn and put their head down and start walking the other direction like Michael Cera in Arrested Development. Elijah is pointing something like he wasn't supposed to cover the guy in the corner.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FB8ody8egx8JkA%2F200.gif&=1&nofb=1

From the UNC website: "I’d caution anyone getting super excited over beating a team who is 55-53 in ACC play over the past six seasons, but every victory this season deserves an oversized celebration."

If you watch the end, you see Buddy and Joe turn and put their head down and start walking the other direction like Michael Cera in Arrested Development. Elijah is pointing something like he wasn't supposed to cover the guy in the corner.
Quick 2nd touch bounce pass from corner inside to #1 Black for a dunk was there -maybe the better play.
Not a Promotional Video for SU's 2-3 zone.

Quick 2nd touch bounce pass from corner inside to #1 Black for a dunk was there -maybe the better play.
Not a Promotional Video for SU's 2-3 zone.
Yeah that one, too. A quicker thinking shooter might have opted for that pass, but it's gotta be tough to give up an open three.

Last edited:
Fly Rodder, I've rewatched that video you posted too many times:confused: Please don't post more like that!
Similar video of a defensive breakdown could be made for any team -doesn't make this easier to watch!
That video is a nice synopsis for many forum topics this season.

Funny how we can watch the same players and have totally different opinions. Always appreciated Triche's defensive efforts but found him tough to watch on offense for most of his career. Nice player, not saying he wasn't. But always felt he was a bit overrated here. Either way, he'd help this group for sure.

people ignoring his warts as they do any player who is either no longer here or isn’t here yet ... triche was maddeningly slow and couldn’t dribble past a house by the side of the road ..

people ignoring his warts as they do any player who is either no longer here or isn’t here yet ... triche was maddeningly slow and couldn’t dribble past a house by the side of the road ..

This doesn't make much sense. He's got one of the highest 2 point percentages of any guard at SU the past 25 years and probably one of our 5 best defenders.

From the UNC website: "I’d caution anyone getting super excited over beating a team who is 55-53 in ACC play over the past six seasons, but every victory this season deserves an oversized celebration."
Sad but true. We have become a non-entity since the move to the ACC. And the perception of our program has changed among both fans and the national media.

Sad but true. We have become a non-entity since the move to the ACC. And the perception of our program has changed among both fans and the national media.

I think it's important to see how the team is perceived from outside the program. To me it seems that many, many of our fans can't differentiate from what we are now (over the last 6 years) and what we were over the previous 35+.

I think it's important to see how the team is perceived from outside the program. To me it seems that many, many of our fans can't differentiate from what we are now (over the last 6 years) and what we were over the previous 35+.

We live in a microwaveable society. Most people can't remember what happened 3 weeks ago, let alone 3 months or 3 years.

HOF though

Of course. There is no denying that Boeheim is an all time great coach. But fans of other teams won't put the same stock in historical performance that our fans do.
what other coach has been at the same university for 44 years ? you all know the story. read the ending a hundred times. you watch the wax and wane of so many great players. hall of famers. think pele, willie mays, gordie howe and kareem , arnold palmer, joe namath and richard petty list goes on and on. you watch them perform well into their twilight years and way past their prime. the ending always the same. more fizzle than sizzle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom