watching the first half again | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

watching the first half again

Can't Gadsden be a #1 guy from that position? It seems like that's the most versatile place to play out of which could make him the biggest threat and best opportunity to scheme mismatches.
Yup opponents will be trying to keep him accounted for now. He is their most reliable receiver and he's someone that is capable of making a big plays no matter where he's lined up.

Purdue might not be the best D we will play, but they have the size that we havent seen so far.. If we struggle to run, then passing becomes harder. When Shrader is off which he was much of the game his running saves us. But then him running so much wears him down as well. I would rather we ran then threw instead of throw then run that last sequence.. But also if we complete the pass its probably game over and Purdue wasnt really ready for it. Its just a hard throw to make..

Our lack of a real #1 Wr is what limits our top end. We dont have anyone that the other team has to really control with a safety which means they can play the cover 1-2 any way they want to help the run or pass. if Alford could really get by people consistently that would force teams to move a safety and open things back up.

Their LBers seemed so much bigger than ours.

We wasted some really solid play calling.. the WR pass and the HB toss back play . both perfect calls and no D around and messed them both up.. Then add in the over throw of the tucker wheel route.. thats 3 tds chances and got nothing.

Even on the first few plays Shrader was off on a couple pretty easy throws then we took a couple holding calls and we wasted a couple series.

We make 1-2 of those simple throws and its a different game at the half.

We went long stretches on no DB pressure until the got inside the 40 in the first half so yeah he throw like 17-18 but it was almost all just pitch and catch with a few nice balls added in and Jones is hard to handle.. But again we played so much soft zone the TE had a field day most of the time.

also should have been a walk in for the 2 pt play , but i doubt they spend all that much time practicing blocking on 80- yds plays the TE made a nice play just staying in the play
the wr pass was wide open but i cant imagine him scoring on it.

the wr pass was wide open but i cant imagine him scoring on it.
i agree.. watching it again he probably gets inside the 15, then again he is hard to bring down and only 1-2 guys were going to be getting to him and at an angle it doesnt take much.. Gasden scored with 3 guys in range.

i agree.. watching it again he probably gets inside the 15, then again he is hard to bring down and only 1-2 guys were going to be getting to him and at an angle it doesnt take much.. Gasden scored with 3 guys in range.
yeah hard to see in the post but i said "i take that back"

he had a little more separation that i originally thought and if he catches on the run, he would be hard to catch for that defender(s) on an angle.

Yeah certainly he can be a number one option. I guess I just always think as a #1 as a WR from a more traditional outside WR spot.
I can understand that. That's the way it's been for us. But you see, especially in the NFL, number one guys moving all over the field to create mismatches. I remember the Colts playing Harrison in the slot a lot so DBs couldn't jam him at the LOS. A lot of New England's guys have been slot guys or TEs.

My only concern with GS is I do think he tucks and runs too soon sometimes. Progression is a difficult thing especially in the heat of battle. Check out the QB play in the NFL Sunday - they bail out or misread a lot.

Yeah certainly he can be a number one option. I guess I just always think as a #1 as a WR from a more traditional outside WR spot.

Mang doesn't make plays for us when he gets the chance. I think Gadsden is easier to cover as a WR outside than a TE.

Jones injury is huge IMO if Anae wants to really feature Mang and Alford and try to get those guys to break out it would be a good move. I think both guys have potential to break out and be big time playmakers.

With Jones going down and Gadsden winning the game and also having that huge 50 yarder hes our #1 target no questions asked the same way Tucker is our #1 guy in the backfield. He'll get his and hes going to be Garretts first look and the guy we scheme open or similarly use as a decoy.

Gasden is not going to move to WR he is a slot/TE guy. he blocks and goes in motion and he can attack Dbs downhill, 10 yds down the field thats his game. Jones didnt play that many snaps sat but he was in at the end when we wanted to throw certain types of throws. I dont think Jones made a catch that others cant make but we went big alot sat and that will be a change.. Even the back shoulder TD catch was not thrown high, so others could make that.. Jackson will run more outside stiff, getting Pena back means we have another slot guy. Jones isnt really running deep routes so Adams may have to run a few more of the deep plays to get Alford off the field at times.

I wonder if the guys who are not playing, its a talent issue, or a not knowing the offense issue.

Alford has huge hands but he seems to lose concentration at times. That catch that got reviewed was not an easy one to make but earlier he had a big one he dropped. He needs to finish off the catches with some urgency.

Many of the guys are only running a set number of plays as it is.. I have to think one of the others can figure out 10 plays from certain sets. I guess we then find out who can actually catch the ball. Queeley plays big it would be nice get him back We have some decent sized guys in long/hayes/brown/queeley if we can get 1-2 of them on the field to be functional. Maybe they can get Valari a few more kinds of plays in the TE sets he is pretty athletic.. Mahar just doesnt seem to be physical enough to get on the field.

Purdue might not be the best D we will play, but they have the size that we havent seen so far.. If we struggle to run, then passing becomes harder. When Shrader is off which he was much of the game his running saves us. But then him running so much wears him down as well. I would rather we ran then threw instead of throw then run that last sequence.. But also if we complete the pass its probably game over and Purdue wasnt really ready for it. Its just a hard throw to make..

Our lack of a real #1 Wr is what limits our top end. We dont have anyone that the other team has to really control with a safety which means they can play the cover 1-2 any way they want to help the run or pass. if Alford could really get by people consistently that would force teams to move a safety and open things back up.

They won’t have the best D we see. NC State looks nasty and Clemson D is Clemson D. FSU is faster. This is why we need to clean up the things that we can (Shrader in the film room…knowing where to go with the ball and seeing open guys or looking at Tucker when he’s open on those swing passes for example.). We have to hit on these things to win those games.

Last edited:
Yeah, My thinking they may be the 4-5th best we see. But they have size at the key spots.. PSU couldnt run on them either and ran all over the SEC auburn D.

Yeah, Shrader took off too soon a lot. but if he missed time prepping during the week he probably wasnt as ready for the film study either. There were at least 6 key passing plays that were TDs or 30-40 yd gains and we missed every one.. In addition Tucker dropped the one toss play that was set up to be a huge play.. Its hard to go 0-7 on plays that were not even well defended and we did it. . And that ignores the easy TD Shrader didnt throw to Gasden on another driver and threw a Pick that got saved by a penalty.

they actually tackled tucker on his delays out of the backfield several times but only 1 got called.

Several of Purdues biggest plays were way better covered than the ones SU missed. Although how you have 4 guys on 1 and let the TE stand free in the endzone is frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom