Watching the Louis Ville game replay | Syracusefan.com

Watching the Louis Ville game replay

CuseOnly

All American
and as I thought I would see is Lamar Jackson is pretty much their entire offense. I am only into the 2nd quarter.

Couple Observations:
- They better pray that he doesn't get hurt with all the running he does - He is a hell of an athlete, reminds me of Bridgewater but a way better runner
- Charlotte was able to penetrate the LOS, problem is they didn't keep contain on the outside and Jackson ran free all day
- Charlotte is not nearly as good as Colgate, especially up front
- they won by a lot but didn't look spectacular, seemed as if Charlotte wasn't ready to play

Anyone else watch?

I haven't reviewed the Cards game yet; however, I did check out their board. They seem to be overlooking Syracuse and place Colgate and Charlotte on the same level. The posters seem to look at the stats and assume there was a running game problem* but no analysis of why the running stats are low.

Aside from the obvious hatred of all things UK (If only UK would learn how to play football, this has the makings of a great rivalry), they are looking forward to Clemson and to some extent to FSU. I didn't read the Clemson and FSU threads, no analysis beyond thread titles.

They seem to expect Syracuse to score and that they will score more (which may very well be the case), though some think it will be courtesy points against the scrubs in the fourth.

To be sure, this is the fan base perspective and should not be associated with the way Bobby Petrino (good coach, bad human being) will prepare and have his kids ready to play, we can rest assured that BP will have his Cards ready to play. Historically, the Dome has not been a friend to Louisville but they did play well the last time they visited the Dome.

All in all, I expect to see a game where the official scorer earns his paycheck instead of a B1G three yards and a cloud of dust game. I would not be surprised by a combined score of 70-80 points, I would be surprised if the combined total is less than 50.

* The Syracuse running game was used primarily to keep the Colgate Defensive strength honest. They were weak defensively in the passing game, HCDB exploited this fact. Instead of using a passing game to set up a running game or a running game to set up a passing game, the strategy is to take what they are given and exploit it. If the opposition makes changes, so does our offense.

CuseOnly said:
and as I thought I would see is Lamar Jackson is pretty much their entire offense. I am only into the 2nd quarter. Couple Observations: - They better pray that he doesn't get hurt with all the running he does - He is a hell of an athlete, reminds me of Bridgewater but a way better runner - Charlotte was able to penetrate the LOS, problem is they didn't keep contain on the outside and Jackson ran free all day - Charlotte is not nearly as good as Colgate, especially up front - they won by a lot but didn't look spectacular, seemed as if Charlotte wasn't ready to play Anyone else watch?

I'm going to watch tomorrow - and re-watch our game. Trying to make it a weekly thing as long as they are on ESPN3.

and as I thought I would see is Lamar Jackson is pretty much their entire offense. I am only into the 2nd quarter.

Couple Observations:
- They better pray that he doesn't get hurt with all the running he does - He is a hell of an athlete, reminds me of Bridgewater but a way better runner
- Charlotte was able to penetrate the LOS, problem is they didn't keep contain on the outside and Jackson ran free all day
- Charlotte is not nearly as good as Colgate, especially up front
- they won by a lot but didn't look spectacular, seemed as if Charlotte wasn't ready to play

Anyone else watch?
- agree 100%, I wish he'd slide more; I also wish we'd run our backs more too
- they blitzed on almost every down in the first half, it's damn near impossible for any OL to block a DL plus 2-3 LBs/CBs/safetys on every play, someone's going to have a shot at the QB
- haven't seen Colgate play but I doubt they're significantly better than Charlotte
- 56-0 at halftime isn't spectacular? Our entire first string and most of the backups sat the second half

I haven't reviewed the Cards game yet; however, I did check out their board. They seem to be overlooking Syracuse and place Colgate and Charlotte on the same level. The posters seem to look at the stats and assume there was a running game problem* but no analysis of why the running stats are low.

Aside from the obvious hatred of all things UK (If only UK would learn how to play football, this has the makings of a great rivalry), they are looking forward to Clemson and to some extent to FSU. I didn't read the Clemson and FSU threads, no analysis beyond thread titles.

They seem to expect Syracuse to score and that they will score more (which may very well be the case), though some think it will be courtesy points against the scrubs in the fourth.

To be sure, this is the fan base perspective and should not be associated with the way Bobby Petrino (good coach, bad human being) will prepare and have his kids ready to play, we can rest assured that BP will have his Cards ready to play. Historically, the Dome has not been a friend to Louisville but they did play well the last time they visited the Dome.

All in all, I expect to see a game where the official scorer earns his paycheck instead of a B1G three yards and a cloud of dust game. I would not be surprised by a combined score of 70-80 points, I would be surprised if the combined total is less than 50.

* The Syracuse running game was used primarily to keep the Colgate Defensive strength honest. They were weak defensively in the passing game, HCDB exploited this fact. Instead of using a passing game to set up a running game or a running game to set up a passing game, the strategy is to take what they are given and exploit it. If the opposition makes changes, so does our offense.
Some perspective on Charlotte as a team. Lost the last 10 games last year by an avg score of 40-15. In game 3 lost 73-14 to Middle Tennessee. they were behind 42-7 after 1st Quarter.

Charlotte Middle Tennessee Charlotte Louisville
Total Yards 219 - 659 208 - 663
Passing 102 - 379 160 - 391
Rushing 117 - 280 48 - 272
Charlotte has to be one of the 5 worst teams playing college football, not much difference then last year against a team which went 7-6.

I watched high lights and most of jacksons big gains were a result of him running for his life. Charlotte got a lot of penetration and pressure at the los.

I think we're going to sit back and play contain. Make him beat us through the air. If the front four can to stop the rbs on their own we'll be in good shape.

I like our defensive speed to be able to run with Jackson if he does get outside.

Looking to hold them to 27 or less.

I was a little concerned with our running game Friday night...Aside from Moe's TD run, seemed like we couldnt get anything going. No interior push from our line. Colgate does have a solid dline, but Louisville has one of the best front 7 in the country. If we couldnt get any push against Colgate, i cringe at the thought of how it will turn out against 'Ville.

I was a little concerned with our running game Friday night...Aside from Moe's TD run, seemed like we couldnt get anything going. No interior push from our line. Colgate does have a solid dline, but Louisville has one of the best front 7 in the country. If we couldnt get any push against Colgate, i cringe at the thought of how it will turn out against 'Ville.

HCDB's emphasis was on the passing game v. Colgate. Louisville is ranked in the top 20 and rightly so. If they rely on their front seven, expect a lot of passing. If the drop back to stop the passing game, expect some runs to keep them honest.

I am not blindly predicting a Syracuse domination, not even predicting a Syracuse win. All I am saying is that Louisville wil drop clues as to their defensive set, HCDB will have a run and a pass play and ED will see the D and pick the opposite. I take nothing away from the Cards, they are good, and have been in their system with Petrino, Syracuse cannot overlook the Cards and assume a win. I am predicting our Orange scores and plays better D than they have the last few years. This game is winnable but Syracuse will have to play an exceptional game.

- agree 100%, I wish he'd slide more; I also wish we'd run our backs more too
- they blitzed on almost every down in the first half, it's damn near impossible for any OL to block a DL plus 2-3 LBs/CBs/safetys on every play, someone's going to have a shot at the QB
- haven't seen Colgate play but I doubt they're significantly better than Charlotte
- 56-0 at halftime isn't spectacular? Our entire first string and most of the backups sat the second half

LJ will learn to slide or he won't survive. Not that teams will target him intentionally but as a QB it is his job to slide and stay in the game. In the pros, he will do so or will not be employed long.

Colgate is expected to win the CAA and considered a top team in Div 1AA. Charlotte is ranked a little lower than them but maybe above Rutgers.

If it's a battle of "guns," we lose big time... Ville has Top 5 in the nation in arm definition, our team still lacks muscle definition across the board...

Some perspective on Charlotte as a team. Lost the last 10 games last year by an avg score of 40-15. In game 3 lost 73-14 to Middle Tennessee. they were behind 42-7 after 1st Quarter.

Charlotte Middle Tennessee Charlotte Louisville
Total Yards 219 - 659 208 - 663
Passing 102 - 379 160 - 391
Rushing 117 - 280 48 - 272
Charlotte has to be one of the 5 worst teams playing college football, not much difference then last year against a team which went 7-6.

Charlotte was 2-10 last season, while Colgate went 9-5 and went to the fcs playoffs. Colgate won their last 6 games before going to the playoffs.
They would destroy Charlotte. Louisville's offense is very, very good, which is why its likely that they beat the Cuse. But they may be vulnerable in the secondary as Charlotte threw for 160 yards on them.
Syracuse allowed fewer points, fewer yards rushing and fewer yards in the air to Colgate as compared to Louisville and what they allowed from Charlotte. Louisville probably wins as Syracuse is still adapting to this offense and defense, but it will be a close game, much closer than Ville fans are going to be comfortable with during the game. They should be happy they get Syracuse now, as opposed to mid-October.

I mean Charlotte is essentially still an FCS team. They're one game into their second CUSA season

So based on... Homerism?
Why do you think we wouldn't beat Colgate as bad as we beat Charlotte? From the box score it looks like you guys moved the ball at will between the 20's but struggled to punch it in the endzone.

Why do you think we wouldn't beat Colgate as bad as we beat Charlotte? From the box score it looks like you guys moved the ball at will between the 20's but struggled to punch it in the endzone.

So homerism it is.

Jackson ran for 129 yards, passed for 296, threw 6 TD passes to 6 different receivers and ran in two scores himself n the Charlotte game. He accounted to 8 TD's and did not play one play in the second half. He was the Walter Camp Natioanl Player of the Week in a rip roaring tip off weekend.

Even Louisville fans are stunned at how good this kid is. He ran for 226 yards against Texas A & M in the Music City Bowl as a freshman who had a grasp of about 40% of the playbook. This was the game after running for 185 yards against UK the game before that. In his last 3 Division 1 games, Lamar has gained 540 yards rushing, 650 yards passing, scored 6 times himself and thrown for something like 15 TD's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom