We’ve got to make shots… | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

We’ve got to make shots…

Jake

Mod
Expecting this team to rebound is lunacy.

The bigger issue is Buddy and Cole missing shots and Joe giving away 2-3 possessions without being presssured.

Every offensive possession with this team hs to be productive.

Yeah, I want to push back against this notion that rebounding is solely "will", or "hustle", or "effort". Look at the great rebounders and that's clearly only one element of it.

There are a lot of fundamentals at play: you gotta be in good position off the miss, you gotta have the requisite burst to beat your opponent to the ball, you gotta have the strength to hold onto the ball, etc.

Every great rebounder I've ever heard speak about it (Rodman, Russell, Barkley) mentions that a lot of grabbing a board happens before the ball even hits the rim -- that's not merely "will", that's skill.

Against Nova there were numerous times we had a hand on a rebound but were either in a poor position to corral it, or weren't strong enough to hold it. Most of our guys are poor rebounders because they lack the skill to do it well, not just because they're not trying.
Every thing you said requires increased effort boxing out takes effort, you have to move to the ball more effort, and you have to secure the ball and not let it be taken determination and effort. Is skill and physical strength involved hell yes, but with out the effort to do what you should do none of that matters.

Upvote 0
You talk about an individual player, where did I say that particular player was not giving the effort? Team rebounding is a group effort not individual.
If what you say is true we might as well forget about this team they can not improve their rebounding, and as a result will not get much better. I do not believe they are not capable of improved rebounding. They can box out better and they can go after the ball with more intensity [hold onto it, move quicker to the ball} to me that is all effort you may call it what you will.
I think JB3 gives great effort most of the time, but he too can improve.
Didn’t JB go on record saying he doesn’t believe in boxing out?

Upvote 0
It seems to me that many of us completely overthink our deficiencies after a loss. Syracuse seldom out rebounds any team. I feel the team simply runs out of gas and gets depressed to continually fight an uphill battle. Yes other teams play a short bench but our five need a couple minutes blow in both halves. They can not go 40 minutes without losing some steam or an edge. You can see it in the shots that come up short, the errant passes and watching of rebounds. If shots are falling we seem to be able to keep rolling but when the l;id is on the basket, we fade in the 2nd half. At least a couple of our losses this year are the result of running out of gas in the last five minutes.

Upvote 0

The bigger issue is Buddy and Cole missing shots and Joe giving away 2-3 possessions without being presssured.

I mean the idea that has to be true speaks volumes about the current state of our program.

We are too reliant on players who shouldn’t have to bear that much responsibility.
The worst part is the team was constructed to do exactly that as we don’t have a bench and if those players struggle we can’t win.

I can’t wait for when we can actually play 3 guys like Scoop, Waiters, and Triche equal minutes so we don’t have to rely on one player.

Upvote 0
That's a complete lie. They play man quite often to practice their offense because that is almost exclusively what they play against. It's also suggesting these kids have never been exposed to man when in fact man D is probably all they knew growing up.

When the next coach comes in and the same players can suddenly play competent man defense it's going to blow so many heads here. And that is sad.
That's all fine, but we haven't played meaningful minutes of in-game, man-to-man D in ages. Expecting James Arthur Boeheim to try that D in a calculated attempt to improve net outcomes is a waste of time because it will never, ever, ever happen.

Upvote 0
Every thing you said requires increased effort boxing out takes effort, you have to move to the ball more effort, and you have to secure the ball and not let it be taken determination and effort. Is skill and physical strength involved hell yes, but with out the effort to do what you should do none of that matters.
Sure, and I said effort/will/hustle is one aspect of rebounding. We're deficient in many aspects.

Reactions: 007
Upvote 0
Sure, and I said effort/will/hustle is one aspect of rebounding. We're deficient in many aspects.
And most of those deficiencies can be fixed with greater effort, will, and hustle leading to improved rebounding. We will never get the rebounds that are top of the arc rebounded by a super atlhete, fortunately there are not a majority of those.

Upvote 0
Went through most of the game. The ball goes up and our guys just look up at the ball. No one is looking for a man to body up. No one. They just look to the heavens for some kind of sign.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth to this take. And it has always been this way with JB. His teams have consistently been fundamentally poor when it comes to this IMO. Yes, the zone makes it more difficult to find guys and box out. And yes, there have been individual player exceptions over the years.

The lack of fundamentals is compounded this year by the physical limitations. To me, it is a combination of both factors.

What's striking is when we play teams like Nova or UVA. Watch clips from any game and you will see their guys consistently finding and making contact with us as the ball is in mid flight on both ends of the floor. You will often see guys boxed out so much so that they end up out of bounds.

Upvote 0

Yep, dribbling the ball off his foot must have been embarrasing. Every time he brings the ball up it's an adventure. AND, I agree with your assessment this team has to score every time we get the ball or we're not going to win many games or go to any tournament.

JB can teach and develop players but he can't shoot it for them or rebound off the offensive glass.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom