We are a year away | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We are a year away

We are a year away
if by next year you mean january, 2018 then ok, i'll tepidly agree. but this is an ncaa team this season.
next season, su anchored by the baze-boo-briss frontline will be national title contenders

Sidibe is the .5 in a 7.5 rotation
could not disagree more . . . boo has the most pure talent on the roster; he'd play for every team in the conference. he'll be all-acc rookie team

What's the old adage? Boeheim does his best with teams when the expectations are lower. We'll find out this year. I am ok as long as this team put down a good foundation to make one last run for JB.

Eh, it's easy to hammer on Frank. He was not really the problem last night. Battle took a lot of bad shots, and everybody settled for 3's in the first half, especially early. Frank actually had a pretty solid game, IMO.

I wasn't hammering on Frank, just keeping it real and in perspective relative to a lead guard, especially for a high level program and league as the ACC. Our first half offense was atrocious, especially when running our half court sets. Howard, as the lead guard, certainly was a significant factor as he showed little to no leadership, command, court awareness/decision making prowess. His handle is weak, that really isn't debatable. There's a reason why JB brought it Gillon last year and another 5th year transfer in Thorpe this year hoping to adequately run the point. It really goes without saying imo.

Frank also had solid play early on last year in the preseason and early regular season games. As was the case last night, the common denominator was inferior competition. Once we started playing better competition, 'he was what he was.'

I'm not saying he can't contribute to the team, his shooting (according to JB) has improved. I hope he plays well, as this team desperately needs all the offensive contribution it can get. But, in no way, shape or form is he a lead guard, let alone at this level. I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt it. He's no more of a lead guard than was Kaleb Joseph.

This of course is just my assessment/opinion...we'll see how the season plays out for FH at PG.

It's not exciting knowing we have no shot competing against the big boys. Heck, we might not be able to compete with the little boys either. I think everyone hopes for the best, but I think reality will quickly set in once the first few games are played. More than anything else, we needed Thorpe and/or Frank to be much better-than-projected to have any chance of a successful season. The early returns are very sobering.

Don't put it on those 2 guys. It was Taurean Thompson who took the heart out of this season. With one more big body, one who could score 10-14 PPG, get 6-8 Rebounds and block a shot or two, it would have made the rest of the front line look better. We will miss that extra quality big man a lot, despite his defensive shortcomings last year.

This team has to buy into JB 100% in order to have a chance at 500 or better. We are young, we are long, we lack strength we seem to hustle, our only . As to our newbies and im including Chewy,North of the border is a future super star, Bit coin hustles and i believe shows significant improvement throughout the year. Surfer dude can score, The second choice is going to contribute way more than anyone thought. The jury is out on Gmacs Gem who i expect to be JBs public project this year, Congo is potentially our best big in a very long time, Chewy is gonna surprise as you cant discount 86.
As to our vets we all know that Battle has NBA potential leaving us with the enigmatic Frank who i believe is the key to this season. Will we see the good Frank, team leader, mentor to all of our youth finally take the reigns or will bad petulant child, never to host a recruit again Frank return.

To me if Frank has actually matured this team has a punchers chance to grow into a decent team by years end.

If not we simply dont have the back court to compete.

Based on what?

I actually agree with the OP. Obviously we only have the 2 exhibitions games to judge but I'm pretty high on Brissett's potential. He's started off slowly in the games but I think he'll be a guy who gets his points. I see him matching the 11 ppg that Tyus averaged - actually see him doing better than that.

It's not exciting knowing we have no shot competing against the big boys. Heck, we might not be able to compete with the little boys either. I think everyone hopes for the best, but I think reality will quickly set in once the first few games are played. More than anything else, we needed Thorpe and/or Frank to be much better-than-projected to have any chance of a successful season. The early returns are very sobering.
Better than projected by who, you?? Staff projects very good years from both those guys. Top five backcourt in the ACC.

Maybe. We look more limited than last year, but things can improve. Unsatisfactory (is there a better word to sum it up?) as last season was, those Duke/UVA/FSU games were a lot of fun and we were competitive with most teams. I could see that happening this year; I'm no Boeheim apologist, but he's great at shaping odd parts into decent (at worst) teams.

if by next year you mean january, 2018 then ok, i'll tepidly agree. but this is an ncaa team this season.
next season, su anchored by the baze-boo-briss frontline will be national title contenders

could not disagree more . . . boo has the most pure talent on the roster; he'd play for every team in the conference. he'll be all-acc rookie team

Do they still limit that team to five players?

Because I see that as very unlikely (to the point of being impossible). And I really liked what Sidibe did on Tuesday. Seems a natural talent, skilled, comfortable with his back to the basket, athletic enough. But has Boeheim ever had a freshman center on a league all-rookie team? Even if we call Derrick Coleman a center? I don't see it happening. That's almost always a garbage-man position at this school, especially for young guys.

EDIT: Otis Hill was Big East All-Rookie in 1994 (cool, and amazing, I don't remember this) and Seikaly in 1985. Still can't see it happening for someone who's going to get 5 touches a game and has never played this defense before, no matter how much skill he seems to have.

DOUBLE EDIT: 1994 Big East All-Rookie: Danya Abrams, Jason Lawson, Otis Hill, Doron Sheffer, and Ray Allen. Wonder if there's ever been a five-man all-league team with three centers on it before. Weird.

Do they still limit that team to five players?

Because I see that as very unlikely (to the point of being impossible). And I really liked what Sidibe did on Tuesday. Seems a natural talent, skilled, comfortable with his back to the basket, athletic enough. But has Boeheim ever had a freshman center on a league all-rookie team? Even if we call Derrick Coleman a center? I don't see it happening. That's almost always a garbage-man position at this school, especially for young guys.

EDIT: Otis Hill was Big East All-Rookie in 1994 (cool, and amazing, I don't remember this) and Seikaly in 1985. Still can't see it happening for someone who's going to get 5 touches a game and has never played this defense before, no matter how much skill he seems to have.

DOUBLE EDIT: 1994 Big East All-Rookie: Danya Abrams, Jason Lawson, Otis Hill, Doron Sheffer, and Ray Allen. Wonder if there's ever been a five-man all-league team with three centers on it before. Weird.
i think we'll end up as one of the best defensive units in the conference, anchored by sidibe. i think he'll be among the conference leaders in blocks, block pct & def rebounding pct. his skillset is perfectly suited to the zone

i think we'll end up as one of the best defensive units in the conference, anchored by sidibe. i think he'll be among the conference leaders in blocks, block pct & def rebounding pct. his skillset is perfectly suited to the zone

I agree with the last.

But history suggests that a) the zone presents a steep learning curve for young guys, b) Boeheim's often impatient with bigs, especially young ones, and c) this program's style of play doesn't always showcase a big's skills in a way that leads to all-league awards.

I like Sidibe's skills and think he'll be a huge asset and potentially a big upgrade from the last two seasons of center play, though.

I actually agree with the OP. Obviously we only have the 2 exhibitions games to judge but I'm pretty high on Brissett's potential. He's started off slowly in the games but I think he'll be a guy who gets his points. I see him matching the 11 ppg that Tyus averaged - actually see him doing better than that.

I'd bet anything that he scores 11 or more, but there's a difference in scoring 11 and the way you get there when it comes to efficiency. Being the 4th option scoring 11 you're a weapon, scoring 11 because there's nobody else can be ugly.

I think he'll be great for us, but he's going to have to be very ready out the gate for us, he's going to have to be a large part of our success.

I'd bet anything that he scores 11 or more, but there's a difference in scoring 11 and the way you get there when it comes to efficiency. Being the 4th option scoring 11 you're a weapon, scoring 11 because there's nobody else can be ugly.

I think he'll be great for us, but he's going to have to be very ready out the gate for us, he's going to have to be a large part of our success.

If he doesn't average 11, we're in worse shape than we thought. Tyus will probably be around 18 ppg, Oshae has to be closer to 15. Let's say Frank is good for 10. I can see a healthy Thorpe giving us 7. That's an even 50. Where do the other 20-25 come from that we're going to need every night? Moyer, Chukwu & Dolezaj are severely limited offensively. That leaves Howard Washington & Sidibe. I wish I could be more positive, but this is the most offensively inept SU team I've seen, & I started watching late 80's/early 90's. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't feel confident this team can score enough to win a whole lot of games, particularly in conference.

If he doesn't average 11, we're in worse shape than we thought. Tyus will probably be around 18 ppg, Oshae has to be closer to 15. Let's say Frank is good for 10. I can see a healthy Thorpe giving us 7. That's an even 50. Where do the other 20-25 come from that we're going to need every night? Moyer, Chukwu & Dolezaj are severely limited offensively. That leaves Howard Washington & Sidibe. I wish I could be more positive, but this is the most offensively inept SU team I've seen, & I started watching late 80's/early 90's. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't feel confident this team can score enough to win a whole lot of games, particularly in conference.

I think Frank and Thorpe will give us more than that.

fwiw, offensive efficiency in the exhibitions was 110.7, which is good but not great, especially considering the opposition

defensive efficiency was 81.4, which is outstanding, even considering the opposition

fwiw, offensive efficiency in the exhibitions was 110.7, which is good but not great, especially considering the opposition

defensive efficiency was 81.4, which is outstanding, even considering the opposition
And it's going to be the defense that gives us any chance of having a decent season. I just don't see us getting consistent offense until halfway into the ACC schedule.

And it's going to be the defense that gives us any chance of having a decent season. I just don't see us getting consistent offense until halfway into the ACC schedule.
i don't think it will take that long

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom