We are all dedicated Syracuse fans. Have you ever been called | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

We are all dedicated Syracuse fans. Have you ever been called

Is that football only though?
Yes it's supporting the SU Football NIL collective.

And also apparently an NIL collective partner:

Well, the fact I am hearing about it now isn't particularly reassuring. But it is a step in the correct direction, or so it seems! There could be dozens of these types of partnerships with the collective.

The football program really seems to be on the ball since Brown was hired.

Red and company should be taking a lead from the football program.

I don’t believe the outreach is as poor as being portrayed. I get plenty of emails from Orange United but obviously that’s because I donate to the Orange United collective.

But I also get emails from the SU AD about Orange United. They just had a challenge that coincided with the NCAA tournament that SU promoted. I’ve included screenshots below of that email. I assume SU sends those emails to STH whose emails they do have. It mentions alumni but I can’t attest all alumni get the emails. But they can’t email anyone they don’t have an email for.

I’ve also seen Wildhack several times, Fran a handful of times, and Red at least once promote NIL collectives.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

There was a 3rd page to the email but I can’t get it to save. It was the bracket of 16 for the challenge. I assume the 16 states were the ones with the most donors or alumni.

I don’t believe the outreach is as poor as being portrayed. I get plenty of emails from Orange United but obviously that’s because I donate to the Orange United collective.

But I also get emails from the SU AD about Orange United. They just had a challenge that coincided with the NCAA tournament that SU promoted. I’ve included screenshots below of that email. I assume SU sends those emails to STH whose emails they do have. It mentions alumni but I can’t attest all alumni get the emails. But they can’t email anyone they don’t have an email for.

I’ve also seen Wildhack several times, Fran a handful of times, and Red at least once promote NIL collectives.

View attachment 240274

View attachment 240275
I received one before I donated myself. I think the ask is for cold calling. Usually for the university it comes from grad students and I personally ignore them because I hate talking on the phone. I do think OU could advertise better.

I received one before I donated myself. I think the ask is for cold calling. Usually for the university it comes from grad students and I personally ignore them because I hate talking on the phone. I do think OU could advertise better.
They’re setting up at each event in the Dome and in the Quad. But it’s more casual and they could be better at it.

They should be handing out flyers at every gate. Force it on people. I think that’s a lot more valuable than the billboard on 690, especially since a big part of the NiL market should be alums who don’t regularly go to games / live out of market. The locals who have season tickets have likely been hit up repeatedly through the emails Bees mentions.

Every event they do with students in community = free tv attention and mentions on the news and websites. It’s standard PR work.

Most of it is organic marketing via social media and word of mouth. I don’t think the casual fan understands they can contribute so easily now or why they need to. And that focus likely has to be on alums just as much as locals.

Did you get the above email?

View attachment 240274

View attachment 240275
The Email I received to sign up was part of a promotion to reach 500 new members across 50 states which I thought was a ridiculously low number to shoot for.

Prior to giving to OU I gave to Mike Bristols foundation which brings up another point. Each elective needs to merge. There’s too many people trying to do the same thing. We lack structure. It would help if we had one voice.

Last edited:
I won't argue they could advertise better, but not sure the answer is cold calling. I can't remember the last time I answered for a number I didn't recognize and I can't imagine I am unusual in that regard - although I fully admit I am unusual in many other regards :)

I used that for football. My question isn't really about me. Think about all of the Syracuse fans that aren't on boards like ours.
dasher, this suggestion is from tomcat per your post:

"I think the collective needs to reach out to all the people who have donated, or bought home or away game tickets over the last few years.

It doesn’t require 50 people calling 100k of possible donors to get this done. A simple mass email is easy to do and costs almost nothing.

Get Jim Boeheim and Coach Autry to help write the email message and explain why donating for basketball is important. Include a direct link that allows someone to donate with a click of a mouse.

This email addresses are all in a database. This is quite easy to do. It is unacceptable we are using targeting big donors and have been for a couple years. With little success."

How you get in front of JB or AA is in your court but I think it's a great idea.

I would suggest donating to athletes who care for the everyday fan that wants to help.
Orange untied for all sports but they charge a admin fee.
SUFootball NIL if you want to donate to football only.

dasher, this suggestion is from tomcat per your post:

"I think the collective needs to reach out to all the people who have donated, or bought home or away game tickets over the last few years.

It doesn’t require 50 people calling 100k of possible donors to get this done. A simple mass email is easy to do and costs almost nothing.

Get Jim Boeheim and Coach Autry to help write the email message and explain why donating for basketball is important. Include a direct link that allows someone to donate with a click of a mouse.

This email addresses are all in a database. This is quite easy to do. It is unacceptable we are using targeting big donors and have been for a couple years. With little success."

How you get in front of JB or AA is in your court but I think it's a great idea.

The email I screenshotted above was a mass email and did include links to donate. I don’t know how broad it was but it’s also not the only one SU has sent out.

The email I screenshotted above was a mass email and did include links to donate. I don’t know how broad it was but it’s also not the only one SU has sent out.
This is the email I received. It appears to be sent by the AD on behalf of Orange United.

Picture1.jpg

I get it, but I can watch the NBA and not really pay anything. At this point this is a step above AAU ball.

Im not sure if you could get even 1% of the county to pay 1 dollar once. I know I was gone for a long time but fan interest in anything seems not even half of what it was 20-30 years ago.

I couldn't agree more.

Moreover, and this likely won't be a liked take here, but we are diehards, so our view is out of touch relative to the many that have support the program in traditional ways, i.e., attending games, buying tickets, licensed merchandise, etc. etc.

The Syracuse fan base is vast, largely in part because the university possesses the same name as the city it resides in, drawing in all of the metro area over years and years, etc. Along with the 'only game in town' deal. And, it's a large reason why so many Syracuse fans show up in events all over the country, not because they are alums, etc., but because at one point during their lives they, family, etc. had some type of tie in/investment in the area.

However, this new paradigm that exists today is a very difficult sell, at least in its current state. Along the lines of: So, just to clarify, you want me to give to these initiatives, so that these very young adults (still kids in many ways) who are getting free rides, free room and board, stipends, many other perks as well, etc. can just put all of this coin into their pockets, only to watch them pimp out their demands next season again or move on to another school, even a rival school? Okay, what the hell, do you think I was born yesterday!? Good frigging grief, you really must think I'm Charlie Brown. Get the F out of here with that chit!

Of course, this is my own thinking, however, I have to imagine, it's the thinking also of the vast majority Onondaga County and supporting surrounding area folk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom