We are all dedicated Syracuse fans. Have you ever been called | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We are all dedicated Syracuse fans. Have you ever been called

Legit question (and maybe it’s been answered in here somewhere already): how would NIL collectives get contact info for folks here in the first place? I can almost assure you that the university isn’t sharing that info with them (though maybe that changes some with the rule changes regarding collaboration between universities and collectives). I know for a fact how territorial each school/department within the university is when it comes to fundraising, so there is no way they are playing nice with an outside NIL collective that would essentially be stealing donors from them.

Legit question (and maybe it’s been answered in here somewhere already): how would NIL collectives get contact info for folks here in the first place? I can almost assure you that the university isn’t sharing that info with them (though maybe that changes some with the rule changes regarding collaboration between universities and collectives). I know for a fact how territorial each school/department within the university is when it comes to fundraising, so there is no way they are playing nice with an outside NIL collective that would essentially be stealing donors from them.
If they got people’s emails how could they not get phone numbers?

If the university isn’t interested in sharing any of this maybe we really aren’t interested in winning.

If they got people’s emails how could they not get phone numbers?

If the university isn’t interested in sharing any of this maybe we really aren’t interested in winning.

Idk where the emails came from. I didn’t get an email from any collective. And it really shouldn’t come as a surprise that fundraising folks up at SU might not want to willingly hand over their donor info to an outside organization when your job is dependent on hitting goals and metrics related to raising funds for SU. They aren’t getting paid to help NIL collectives fundraise.

Like I said, maybe there will be some shift in ideology now that universities can actually work directly with collectives, but I don’t see that being the case right now, especially when what the collectives do isn’t offsetting what the Athletic department needs to raise money for and you are essentially both going after the exact same donor base.

Idk where the emails came from. I didn’t get an email from any collective. And it really shouldn’t come as a surprise that fundraising folks up at SU might not want to willingly hand over their donor info to an outside organization when your job is dependent on hitting goals and metrics related to raising funds for SU. They aren’t getting paid to help NIL collectives fundraise.

Like I said, maybe there will be some shift in ideology now that universities can actually work directly with collectives, but I don’t see that being the case right now, especially when what the collectives do isn’t offsetting what the Athletic department needs to raise money for and you are essentially both going after the exact same donor base.
Maybe because I’m an alum and you’re not? Genuinely curious here.

by a collective and asked for money? We have a large fan base. I have never been called.
I sent money to football after Fran was hired and have never heard from them. That is
unacceptable. If we want to land guys like Roach, it would be nice to know that our
collective was working their butts off to get us the money we need to compete.
I haven't either. Is there anything, anyone we can contact about this to explain our views. I read about who was in charge of this but can't recall at the moment who that person group is?

We need to voice our concerns to someone in charge of NIL even or JW - he has all the names.

by a collective and asked for money? We have a large fan base. I have never been called.
I sent money to football after Fran was hired and have never heard from them. That is
unacceptable. If we want to land guys like Roach, it would be nice to know that our
dasher, Suggestion, I just looked around the board and there is a big page about NIL and a p[lace to donate in the upper right hand corner of the page.

As far as people on this board I would contact (PM) bees and explain your issues, not only yours but everyones.

dasher, Suggestion, I just looked around the board and there is a big page about NIL and a p[lace to donate in the upper right hand corner of the page.

As far as people on this board I would contact (PM) bees and explain your issues, not only yours but everyones.
I used that for football. My question isn't really about me. Think about all of the Syracuse fans that aren't on boards like ours.

I PM'd tomcat about your concerns. There is a post by bees the first post on the FB board all about the NIL and how to contribute.

I know by your post that you would like to be contacted but I don't know how it's set up maybe bees could explain it to you. :)

I used that for football. My question isn't really about me. Think about all of the Syracuse fans that aren't on boards like ours.
OK just trying to help - maybe your suggestions to bees could take root and change things to get more involved and more $ contributed.

That was actually a whole big thing at the University of Iowa where the head of the main collective was vocally frustrated with the former AD because he wasn't sharing info basically for that reason. He claimed it was for privacy reasons, but it realistically had more to do with not wanting to share the money from what I read. One of many reasons he is now the former AD.

That was actually a whole big thing at the University of Iowa where the head of the main collective was vocally frustrated with the former AD because he wasn't sharing info basically for that reason. He claimed it was for privacy reasons, but it realistically had more to do with not wanting to share the money from what I read. One of many reasons he is now the former AD.
I would bet that the people in charge of fund raising at the University do not want to share information with the collectives for just that reason.

And there is a threshold where ticket prices will equal empty seats
We are nowhere near that now. The ticket prices are a smoke screen for the product is not worth the prices being charged. Have a winning, ranked program that plays an exciting style, and the seats will fill up. Add in all of the new well paying jobs coming into town, and demand will increase.
Also, as we win, we will get later TV time slots, so more folks will come.
If you build it…

Me and 50 of my friends donating $100 is not going to move the needle. Need to harpoon the whales.. at least until NY passes the same VA law.

Two things - any fundraising organization goes after both the extremely few big fish and the lots and lots of small fries. Any organization that doesn’t go for both isn’t going to be remotely as effective as they should be.

Also - small fries turn into big fish. My sister did fundraising for years, very rarely did a huge donor come out of the blue. It was usually someone who had already donated much, much smaller amounts for years/decades and either saw business success that allowed them to donate more or were looking to donate in their will. Not putting any effort into getting lots and lots of small donors now means the big fish 20 years from now won’t exist. Frankly, the terrible efforts from Syracuse for the last…well…forever - is part of why we’ll struggle to identify and catch the big fish other schools are able to right now.

Folks, as a person that has endowed two scholarships at universities that fully accepts how preachy I'm about to sound, and I understand we're on syracusefan.com, but you can do so much more good with your money than give to a collective.

Donate some to a collective, sure, but by God if people are going to chip in and we're brainstorming ideas for widespread community donation then let's solve some bigger picture problems that meaningfully change the quality of people's lives.

DISCLAIMER: please, for the love of god, look beyond the political aspect of this and just focus on the point being made

With Bernie Sanders run for the presidency in ‘16 he was able to amass a very large, very competitive war chest with a large amount small donors. This concept flew in the face of conventional wisdom that political campaigns need to be funded by large donors. For NILs to only actively target large donors, which make up a very finite potion of the fanbase, has them missing out on a massive amount of funding.

The SU fanbase is large, but often working class. There likely aren’t enough large donors willing and able to donate enough to keep us competitive, but 15,000 donors at an average of $15/month makes for a decent and sustainable $2.7mil in NIL per year. From there any more from the businesses/large donors is just gravy.

The NILs need to emphasize soliciting the small donors (which they’re clearly not actively doing) to have a chance to make us competitive, which it seems we’re struggling to be at present.

Folks, as a person that has endowed two scholarships at universities that fully accepts how preachy I'm about to sound, and I understand we're on syracusefan.com, but you can do so much more good with your money than give to a collective.

Donate some to a collective, sure, but by God if people are going to chip in and we're brainstorming ideas for widespread community donation then let's solve some bigger picture problems that meaningfully change the quality of people's lives.

Have to agree here. People can spend their own money however they please, and I would never judge anyone for donating to an NIL collective - and selfishly, as an SU fan, I’m glad there are people who do - but I would never. I have a finite amount of money that I can allocate each year to philanthropy, and frankly, there are far more worthy causes that I prefer to contribute to. Again, to each their own, though.

I will say that while there are federal data privacy laws, it does vary pretty considerably from state to state as far as what an organization is and isn’t allowed to do with constituent data they have collected. California, for instance, has incredibly strict data privacy laws and the fines for violating them can be substantial.

And I don’t blame an AD that is tasked with fundraising for their school’s athletic department to be apprehensive about aiding an NIL collective in cannibalizing their donor base. It’s not totally a zero-sum game but it’s close enough that people can lose their jobs just off of small percentage shifts from AD giving to collective giving.

I will say that while there are federal data privacy laws, it does vary pretty considerably from state to state as far as what an organization is and isn’t allowed to do with constituent data they have collected. California, for instance, has incredibly strict data privacy laws and the fines for violating them can be substantial.

And I don’t blame an AD that is tasked with fundraising for their school’s athletic department to be apprehensive about aiding an NIL collective in cannibalizing their donor base. It’s not totally a zero-sum game but it’s close enough that people can lose their jobs just off of small percentage shifts from AD giving to collective giving.
And a A.D. can lose his job when his teams suck. The door does indeed swing both ways.

And a A.D. can lose his job when his teams suck. The door does indeed swing both ways.

Sure for the AD. Fundraisers’ job performance reports aren’t generally tied to team performance, however. If I were a gift officer working for an organization that had no problem passing one of my donors off to another organization, you’d better believe that I’d be arguing for a major shift in the metrics that measure success in my job.

We can put 34,000 in the Dome for a single game... Those tickets cost way more than $10 each.

If just those 34,000 fans all donated $10/month we'd be at $4 million.

Onondaga County has 480,000 citizens. If 10% of them donated $10 per month, we'd be at $5.8 million. Forget about the tens of thousands of fans that show up for random games in far out places.

I personally would subscribe to a $10/month donation to help my basketball team win championships. Nobody ever asked. I have to seek out the collective, but the website is decidedly uninviting.

Lots of small donations add up. They aren't really trying to get us to donate our small amounts of money.

And that is ignoring more creative efforts like the one reported on in this story:

Syracuse University could partner with B&S and probably put out branded specialty 1911 ciders that make millions even on fairly small percentage of sales.

They just don't seem to be trying hard enough
Meiers Creek seems to be the University’s partner.

Have to agree here. People can spend their own money however they please, and I would never judge anyone for donating to an NIL collective - and selfishly, as an SU fan, I’m glad there are people who do - but I would never. I have a finite amount of money that I can allocate each year to philanthropy, and frankly, there are far more worthy causes that I prefer to contribute to. Again, to each their own, though.
Yep, this is me as well. I've donated to SU in the 10 years since i've graduated, but I also have decided to direct that money to worthier causes than a university charging $75k tuition per year.

Yep, this is me as well. I've donated to SU in the 10 years since i've graduated, but I also have decided to direct that money to worthier causes than a university charging $75k tuition per year.

10 years? Jesus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom