We are going 6-6 next year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We are going 6-6 next year

The ACC wasn't coming off of 2 NC in 3 years back then. The conference right now is significantly better than both the ACC and the BE of 2004.

Also, we're playing LSU next year.

I agree I wasn't comparing the schedules on an equal basis. I was just saying that the 2004 schedule wasn't as simple as people want it to be portrayed. It was a very competitive out of conf schedule, as per usual, for SU. If P had scheduled like we are doing in 2017 he would have probably won 8-9 games and would have coached well into the 2000s.

My bigger issue is competing in this division within the ACC. I think even with Babers we're over our head if we have any aspirations of winning the division ever. I still think, and will always think, that the ACC should have set up the divisions based on the old big east/old ACC as much as possible.

The ACC wasn't coming off of 2 NC in 3 years back then. The conference right now is significantly better than both the ACC and the BE of 2004.

Also, we're playing LSU next year.

Agreed, I don't see any disputing that

its hard to win when you line up 3* kids against 4* kids 1 Babers system gives us a chance to be better than in the past. You will only get 4* players by winning 6-6 is realistic but we can always hope the system steals us 8-4 season

You can't be serious? The 2004 schedule was really good but it lacked a 2016 Clemson, FSU and Louisville. It was filled good teams but no great teams.

I agree with your post in general but I think we have to stop considering Louisville a great team this past year just because they blew us out. They went 9-4, and it easily could have been 8-5 if they didn't miraculously beat a terrible Virginia team.

I agree with your post in general but I think we have to stop considering Louisville a great team this past year just because they blew us out. They went 9-4, and it easily could have been 8-5 if they didn't miraculously beat a terrible Virginia team.

i think we have to start realizing any win against a Power 5 conference team is a good win for this team right now. That is the road we're on...

Didn't we agree , one of the few times, right after the hire that HCDB had 3 years to get to 15 wins? Or am I misremembering?

What is the timeline? Or is it to early to tell? Being serious as to thoughts as to the staunch supporters. I'm not being difficult. Honestly would like to hear what people's opinions are at this stage.

I'm fine with that timeline. Did I give you the impression I wasn't?

4+6 is a good start, no?

(Side note about being a "staunch supporter"... I've been a staunch supporter of every Syracuse football coach not named Greg Robinson for at least 2.5 seasons. Unlike some, I give them a fair shot.)

I agree I wasn't comparing the schedules on an equal basis. I was just saying that the 2004 schedule wasn't as simple as people want it to be portrayed. It was a very competitive out of conf schedule, as per usual, for SU. If P had scheduled like we are doing in 2017 he would have probably won 8-9 games and would have coached well into the 2000s.

My bigger issue is competing in this division within the ACC. I think even with Babers we're over our head if we have any aspirations of winning the division ever. I still think, and will always think, that the ACC should have set up the divisions based on the old big east/old ACC as much as possible.

Agree on the 1st part.

I don't think the division is out of reach long-term. Louisville was one play from putting a nice hold on the top spot. It's obvious that we won't be competing this season for one and probably next. But over time? It will take recruits and money and a coach/system that works. The biggest ? is can we recruit well enough. IMO.

its hard to win when you line up 3* kids against 4* kids 1 Babers system gives us a chance to be better than in the past. You will only get 4* players by winning 6-6 is realistic but we can always hope the system steals us 8-4 season

I am convinced that there isnt a significant gap between 4 and 3 star kids. Its entirely subjective and based on who offers. Give me the coachable , all in 3 star kid anyday over the diva. Most of college rosters are made up of 3 star talent. There are only a limited field of 4+ talent out there.

Except for that the teams you mentioned were not middle of the pack.

Virginia was ranked #12 when we played, and finished #23
Purdue was ranked #24 when we played them. They were ranked as high as #5 that year. Finished unranked, but just out of the top 25.
BC was ranked # 17 when we played them. Finished 9-3 ranked 21
Pitt was 8-4 ranked # 25 in the final poll

Throw in #15 West Virginia, and # 8 Florida State (we lost by 3) and that may be the toughest schedule we've had in some time.
6 ranked teams, and we got 6 wins. That would certainly be viewed as better than a 6 win 2017 team.
Granted there wasn't a true NC contender like Clemson this year, but what's the difference. If we played Clemson, or someone ranked 7th, the outcome would be a L either way.

You said it better than I did.

That Purdue team was very good. Kyle Orton was an excellent college QB and a pretty darn good pro. The Boilers started 5-0 in 2004 and were on their way, but lost four straight games by a total of ten points. As the season progressed problems developed that wrecked their season and seemed to usher in the end of Joe Tiller. But when we played them that opening day - I was there unfortunately - they were really good.

FSU was just as talented as they typically are - they finished 9-3 with three close losses. The Seminoles were a very good team.

I forgot about WVU.

And BC of course was set to win their only BE title that last weekend until Diamond Ferri had that great game against Matt Ryan.

It is ironic of course that after perhaps his best coaching job in his time at Syracuse - getting six wins and a bowl invite with little talent - Pasqualoni was fired by Cantor at halftime of the Champs Bowl - the result of which, in the scheme of things, meant very little.

You said it better than I did.

That Purdue team was very good. Kyle Orton was an excellent college QB and a pretty darn good pro. The Boilers started 5-0 in 2004 and were on their way, but lost four straight games by a total of ten points. As the season progressed problems developed that wrecked their season and seemed to usher in the end of Joe Tiller. But when we played them that opening day - I was there unfortunately - they were really good.

FSU was just as talented as they typically are - they finished 9-3 with three close losses. The Seminoles were a very good team.

I forgot about WVU.

And BC of course was set to win their only BE title that last weekend until Diamond Ferri had that great game against Matt Ryan.

It is ironic of course that after perhaps his best coaching job in his time at Syracuse - getting six wins and a bowl invite with little talent - Pasqualoni was fired by Cantor at halftime of the Champs Bowl - the result of which, in the scheme of things, meant very little.

Syracuse derangement syndrome will say it was AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. I was at that BC game. I stand by my own emotions that day saying it was one of the most satisfying wins of my Syracuse rooting life. I'm from Boston so it holds more to me but I saw a team that really cowboyed up to win that one. We were lucky in some regards w Ryan (who was not ready to play in that game, true frosh i think) but they dug deep to win that one.

We have scheduled our way out of seasons for too long. I'm glad we've fixed this problem and will schedule for bowls vs schedule for the playoff (which we aren't remotely close to getting to).

i just looked at the schedule 3-0 and then 3-6.

6-6.

Same record as when we fired coach P. 13 years ago.
Same record as when Nick Saban coached Alabama in 2007, 10 years ago... so, championships coming?!?!

*Alabama did win a bowl game that year to get to 7-6 after their 12 game regular season

Syracuse derangement syndrome will say it was AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. I was at that BC game. I stand by my own emotions that day saying it was one of the most satisfying wins of my Syracuse rooting life. I'm from Boston so it holds more to me but I saw a team that really cowboyed up to win that one. We were lucky in some regards w Ryan (who was not ready to play in that game, true frosh i think) but they dug deep to win that one.

We have scheduled our way out of seasons for too long. I'm glad we've fixed this problem and will schedule for bowls vs schedule for the playoff (which we aren't remotely close to getting to).

That BC game was for me one of the most satisfying wins I have ever had.

It was a remarkable performance.

Ferri played one of the great games - if not the greatest game - of any Syracuse University football player I have ever seen.

Ferri played one of the great games - if not the greatest game - of any Syracuse University football player I have ever seen.

Diamond! Great player and perhaps even better party animal.

That's definitely one game I'm sorry I missed from back in the days of regional broadcasts

what did he do?

what did he do?

Credit to Wikipedia:

Ferri displayed one of the most impressive two-way performances of the modern football era, playing for Syracuse on offense at running back and on defense at safety in a victory against Boston College during the final game of 2004. Playing on nearly every down, he ran the ball 28 times for 141 yards and two touchdowns on offense, and sealed the upset victory with an interception return for a touchdown late in the game.

Credit to Wikipedia:

Ferri displayed one of the most impressive two-way performances of the modern football era, playing for Syracuse on offense at running back and on defense at safety in a victory against Boston College during the final game of 2004. Playing on nearly every down, he ran the ball 28 times for 141 yards and two touchdowns on offense, and sealed the upset victory with an interception return for a touchdown late in the game.

WOW. That is amazing. I figured it would have been something like 2 picks, FF, tackles all over the field. Stuff like that. Didn't realize he was on O too.

WOW. That is amazing. I figured it would have been something like 2 picks, FF, tackles all over the field. Stuff like that. Didn't realize he was on O too.

He was Big East Offensive AND Defensive POTW for that!

We fired Shafer for going 4-8. GRob went 4-8 and he got 2 more years.

Bunch of bullsh!t, right?

You don't understand the difference between when each had that record?

You don't understand the difference between when each had that record?

Oh no you didn't.

Please tell me you didn't.

When is the last time I was serious on this board?

Credit to Wikipedia:

I may be wrong, but I think he also played special teams and returned a couple of punts?

I may be wrong, but I think he also played special teams and returned a couple of punts?

Yes I did some further research and he also returned 2 punts. Simply amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom