We are named one of the four school dragging ACC. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We are named one of the four school dragging ACC.

Syracuse is a much better TV draw than BC. Or put differently, Syracuse IS a TV draw while BC typically only generates ratings when it plays someone else who is a draw.

Historically, Penn State and ND are the top two college football teams in the northeast. However, when SU is competitive we're third. BC barely rates.

So fire BC and keep us. We solved the mystery of Survivor ACC.

It is unlikely that anyone could get voted out of a conference because most of them require a 75% vote to expel someone. What the "haves" will try to do is make some sort of onerous requirement that will make schools want to leave and they will waive GOR requirements, etc., to make it easy to be rid of them.

Some months ago, there was a proposal for a new division in football that somehow involved some formula for paying players beyond what's been mentioned for FBS. It hasn't been mentioned since then. It may be something to keep in mind as schools claim they can leave a conference scot-free because they no longer play FBS football and play in this new division.
Ultimately, it is talking heads trying to generate revenue who lack integrity and will run with anything. Enquiring minds want to know.

For lots more in the way of moronic talking heads, look for Locked-On Big 12. He's so moronic he is claiming Oklahoma is having second guesses about leaving the Big 12. And, he is such a a Yormark homer lap dog that Yormark may want to adopt him and take him home. He makes Chicken Little look rational.

Why would anyone listen to him?
IMG_7306.gif

He's so moronic he is claiming Oklahoma is having second guesses about leaving the Big 12.
Why does this seem so implausible? Isn't this what a lot of posters have asserted, that being in such a tough league will spell more losses that teams like OU are wanting to take? I think you may have said something like that in a thread. Maybe this is the first crack in the dam.

So fire BC and keep us. We solved the mystery of Survivor ACC.
Don't forget the author said fire Syracuse and DUKE. I don't think ACC would do that. ACC is not just a football conference. Academics and basketball are as important. Duke is good at two of three.

Why does this seem so implausible? Isn't this what a lot of posters have asserted, that being in such a tough league will spell more losses that teams like OU are wanting to take? I think you may have said something like that in a thread. Maybe this is the first crack in the dam.

Yes, because that's what this is all about...wins and losses, and not money.

NOTE: We might as well rename this the "Stuart Smalley" thread-

story response GIF

Last edited:
Yes, I have said that too many big dogs will upset the ones who are now middle of the pack. However, a Big 12 homer asserting as fact that OU is second guessing the decision is comical.

First, OU has not actually made the move, the move date is later this year after college sports have ended.

Second, OU has a puncher's chance at being one of the Big Dogs. I can't predict where they will end up in the pecking order.

Third, the talking head is just sputing whatever will garner clicks. He has no original thought or deep analysis of what he is saying. He provides no consideration of the serious and deeper elements of decision making which only serves to rile up those who do not take a serious approach to problem solving in general and fail to understand that the bigger the entity, the more intricate the details become. This is not a "take it or leave it" agreement like a grocery store. I hope and trust the real players are deeper than that.

Fourth, he is a Big 12 homer. Sure, it could mean something but the fans of the Big 12 have been the most vocal of any conference and have been wrong on a scale that everyone should consider unfathomable. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, I have said that too many big dogs will upset the ones who are now middle of the pack. However, a Big 12 homer asserting as fact that OU is second guessing the decision is comical.

First, OU has not actually made the move, the move date is later this year after college sports have ended.

Second, OU has a puncher's chance at being one of the Big Dogs. I can't predict where they will end up in the pecking order.

Third, the talking head is just sputing whatever will garner clicks. He has no original thought or deep analysis of what he is saying. He provides no consideration of the serious and deeper elements of decision making which only serves to rile up those who do not take a serious approach to problem solving in general and fail to understand that the bigger the entity, the more intricate the details become. This is not a "take it or leave it" agreement like a grocery store. I hope and trust the real players are deeper than that.

Fourth, he is a Big 12 homer. Sure, it could mean something but the fans of the Big 12 have been the most vocal of any conference and have been wrong on a scale that everyone should consider unfathomable. ;)
If OU remains in the Big12 and some of the top ACC teams join, the Big12 would be equal to the SEC and the B1G. Maybe that's what OU is contemplating.

If OU remains in the Big12 and some of the top ACC teams join, the Big12 would be equal to the SEC and the B1G. Maybe that's what OU is contemplating.
I respectfully disagree. The Big 12 has been picked over. If
OU went back with FSU and Clemson, the SEC still has several more big dogs. Just my opinion.

The author wants to fire four schools that generate little revenue for ACC. The four schools targeted by the author are Syracuse, Duke, BC and Wake Forest. Is this a mistake? I think we are the better program in ACC that attracted more eyeballs than average. If this is true, the new coach has to do his job to lift the program. Otherwise we might face the dangerous water.
Ignoring all of the rest, Duke basketball generates "little" revenue for the ACC?

Ignoring all of the rest, Duke basketball generates "little" revenue for the ACC?
That's correct. The portion of the TV money paid for basketball is a smaller part of the overall ACC contract with ESPN/Raycom than the football and any money any team making the NCAA tournament ("the shares") goes into the conference pot like bowl money does. The greater the number of teams that become consistent winners in b-ball, the greater the payout, but not a whole lot greater. If you subtract Notre Dame's ACC payout from the ACC payout each of the other schools got, you get an idea of what football is worth. The bulk of ND's payout is going to be for b-ball, with some small portion of their payout being for the non-revenue sports.

The author wants to fire four schools that generate little revenue for ACC. The four schools targeted by the author are Syracuse, Duke, BC and Wake Forest. Is this a mistake? I think we are the better program in ACC that attracted more eyeballs than average. If this is true, the new coach has to do his job to lift the program. Otherwise we might face the dangerous water.
The ACC has 2 dead weight members: BC and Wake. While Dook and Syracuse have major problems drawing TV viewers for football, Syracuse has the largest basketball fan base in the northeast and Dook is half of the most important rivalry in college basketball history. Those things matter. Not as much as PSU's 1000k per football game and huge TV drawing power for football, obviously. But they are plusses.

All of his mentioned "low value" schools are privates (He includes Northwestern and Vandy as well), but there's no explanation to what equates "value."
Maryland people tend to assume that because Maryland is a large state flagship and land grant that it must be of rather large value by itself. That is false, just like it is false to assume that because ND is a smallish private school it must not have big football value. There are always exceptions to rules.

The ACC has 2 dead weight members: BC and Wake. While Dook and Syracuse have major problems drawing TV viewers for football, Syracuse has the largest basketball fan base in the northeast and Dook is half of the most important rivalry in college basketball history. Those things matter. Not as much as PSU's 1000k per football game and huge TV drawing power for football, obviously. But they are plusses.
Syracuse FB does fairly well ratings wise when you consider the program has been down. When the team is good, it pulls well in the northeast.

Last edited:
That's correct. The portion of the TV money paid for basketball is a smaller part of the overall ACC contract with ESPN/Raycom than the football and any money any team making the NCAA tournament ("the shares") goes into the conference pot like bowl money does. The greater the number of teams that become consistent winners in b-ball, the greater the payout, but not a whole lot greater. If you subtract Notre Dame's ACC payout from the ACC payout each of the other schools got, you get an idea of what football is worth. The bulk of ND's payout is going to be for b-ball, with some small portion of their payout being for the non-revenue sports.
ND also gets a full share of the ACC Network profits.

Syracuse FB does fairly well ratings wise when you consider the program has been down. When the team is good, it pulls well in the northeast.
And BC winning still is ignored by even Boston media and general football fans across New England.

A couple years into Matt Ryan in the NFL, some journalist wrote about how much things changed in a big way in terms of CFB generally and BC specifically in Boston and New England. BC played for the ACC championship in back to back years with a Hesiman candidate QB and was largely ignored by Boston media. When Flutie played, Boston media wrote about and talked about BC football all season. And that was reflected in TV viewing. 'Everybody' saw Flutie beat Miami on the last play with a TD pass to Phelan. Almost nobody watched Ryan as a college player.

As New England turns out less football talent than just the Cincinnati TV market, I think it safe to say that Cincy would be better for the ACC than BC.