We are named one of the four school dragging ACC. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We are named one of the four school dragging ACC.

The author wants to fire four schools that generate little revenue for ACC. The four schools targeted by the author are Syracuse, Duke, BC and Wake Forest. Is this a mistake? I think we are the better program in ACC that attracted more eyeballs than average. If this is true, the new coach has to do his job to lift the program. Otherwise we might face the dangerous water.
I find it interesting that he has Syracuse on the relegation list and not Pitt. Syracuse gets far better TV ratings. Syracuse has far greater revenue in football and basketball.

I don’t know why anyone would think it better to dump Syracuse over Pitt. No offense to Pitt but they are an afterthought in their own city, they have no football facility, no fanbase and it appears their football program is going to be horrible for the foreseeable future.

I find it interesting that he has Syracuse on the relegation list and not Pitt. Syracuse gets far better TV ratings. Syracuse has far greater revenue in football and basketball.

I don’t know why anyone would think it better to dump Syracuse over Pitt. No offense to Pitt but they are an afterthought in their own city, they have no football facility, no fanbase and it appears their football program is going to be horrible for the foreseeable future.
SU is going to have a chair when the music stops.

Even though we have sucked we still draw a very solid TV audience. We carry NYS and I doubt that NYS is going to be left out.
Rochester to Albany and Binghamton to Watertown probably has about 4m+ people. That's more than most states and Syracuse is the de facto major college program for that entire region.

There's a reason ESPN told the ACC to take us in the first place.

Rochester to Albany and Binghamton to Watertown probably has about 4m+ people. That's more than most states and Syracuse is the de facto major college program for that entire region.

There's a reason ESPN told the ACC to take us in the first place.

Curious if BC gets more eyeballs than us in the New England area than Syracuse in NYS. Or in the alternative, if both programs were "Fired", do they make it up with the Penn St/ND games? I always felt like both NYC/Boston area are essentially ND tv markets more than anything.

Curious how that overlays. Maybe that's why ND likes us nearby (along with BC). The 3 programs alone are compelling northeast tv content for the top market and the boston top 7 market

agreed. actual tv ratings will matter a lot more than ever. You want subscribers to streaming services, not just households in a market anymore. Brand value is key. There's a reason we're spending heavily to revitalize the brand and program.

I don’t know his ties with BC but he was definitely Marylands Rivals guy before going national with rivals. He ran the Maryland rivals site and forums. Him and Smokefree were a piece of work.
Smokefree...

thats a name.jpg

Even though we have sucked we still draw a very solid TV audience. We carry NYS and I doubt that NYS is going to be left out.
You can probably start adding NJ at least for football for an audience here in the short term.

Last edited:
I did NOT read the article but from previous comments he missed the simple fact that the Big names need some schools to beat up on. So, yes, you have to pay bottom feeders big money if you want guaranteed wins. Especially if your plan is to break free from the G5 and possibly into the "Elite Two".

If you eliminate all teams that have a less than .500 win percentage over the last X years and only play the winners, some top dogs will look like losers and many will be crying after a few years. There will not be an open door to a championship, just a small handful of actual competitive teams with most settling in as average and several falling to bottom feeders status.

I think the B1G and SEC commissioners get this but many ADs don't. And this does not factor in any other issues that will arise.

Curious if BC gets more eyeballs than us in the New England area than Syracuse in NYS. Or in the alternative, if both programs were "Fired", do they make it up with the Penn St/ND games? I always felt like both NYC/Boston area are essentially ND tv markets more than anything.

Curious how that overlays. Maybe that's why ND likes us nearby (along with BC). The 3 programs alone are compelling northeast tv content for the top market and the boston top 7 market
Syracuse is a much better TV draw than BC. Or put differently, Syracuse IS a TV draw while BC typically only generates ratings when it plays someone else who is a draw.

Historically, Penn State and ND are the top two college football teams in the northeast. However, when SU is competitive we're third. BC barely rates.

Syracuse is a much better TV draw than BC. Or put differently, Syracuse IS a TV draw while BC typically only generates ratings when it plays someone else who is a draw.

Historically, Penn State and ND are the top two college football teams in the northeast. However, when SU is competitive we're third. BC barely rates.
Putting all those good points aside - he literally writes this article after the ACC just adds Cal, Stanford and SMU. Uhh….i think the ACC could have used his crack advice a little earlier if the plan was to boot schools that are not known for football and don’t want to invest in it.

It’s a stupid article.

Standard caveat, I know its not all apples to apples, but the only public data set we have is the Dept of Education.

Latest data available SU is 41st in football revenue, 3rd in basketball, 29 in men’s sports revenue for all FBS schools.

It’s 59th in total revenue because it is 2nd to last in unallocated revenue. There are large transfers of cash into state schools to cover deficits.

SU has one of the largest “profits” with $20m in revenue in excess of expenses.

SU pulls It’s weight in the ACC

It’s a stupid article.

Standard caveat, I know its not all apples to apples, but the only public data set we have is the Dept of Education.

Latest data available SU is 41st in football revenue, 3rd in basketball, 29 in men’s sports revenue for all FBS schools.

It’s 59th in total revenue because it is 2nd to last in unallocated revenue. There are large transfers of cash into state schools to cover deficits.

SU has one of the largest “profits” with $20m in revenue in excess of expenses.

SU pulls It’s weight in the ACC
how can that be? the tickets are cheap and we make up for it by not finding anyone to buy them

how can you drag something which put itself under the sec’s and big ten’s tires

It is unlikely that anyone could get voted out of a conference because most of them require a 75% vote to expel someone. What the "haves" will try to do is make some sort of onerous requirement that will make schools want to leave and they will waive GOR requirements, etc., to make it easy to be rid of them.

Some months ago, there was a proposal for a new division in football that somehow involved some formula for paying players beyond what's been mentioned for FBS. It hasn't been mentioned since then. It may be something to keep in mind as schools claim they can leave a conference scot-free because they no longer play FBS football and play in this new division.