We are not far off | Syracusefan.com

We are not far off

cuse309

Ace recruiting beat reporter
Here is an interesting page on the website that is 12 score and seven.
It ranks all teams based on full roster talent. It only goes back to the 2015 roster. When comparing to the rest of the ACC, we have been second or third to last in roster talent every year. The top (Clemson and Florida State) have a roster talent score of around 88-90, and the bottom is usually around 82. So the 6-8 points that separates the top from the bottom, is a lot of points. That being said, Syracuse has gone from a 81.74 in 2015, to an 82.40 in 2016, to an 83.05 in 2017. While just under 2 points doesn't seem like much, consider that only 6 points separates a Clemson from a Wake Forest in terms of roster talent. The 2018 roster talent is not available yet obviously, but I'd have to imagine, that the fact that we didn't lose a ton of high rated talent, and we are bringing in a lot more freshman, with more P5 offers in a recruiting class than I can remember, and adding a few 4 star players as transfers with talent grades in the 90's, that we will be 84 or better on next years roster. Around an 85 seems to be that magic number for teams to be competitive in that second tier of Programs like a Louisville, or a Va Tech. Teams that win 7-10 games a year.
So far, this recruiting class has an avg of over 85. That's 3 points higher than any of the last 3 freshman classes. We are not too far off from that 85 mark for roster talent. Consider the following programs with a score below 86 last year
Washington, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Mich State, TCU, Va Tech, Louisville, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State, Utah, there are a ton more too that have talent just a tick better than ours, that win 7+ games yearly.

2017 College Football Team Talent Composite

I know we're not that far off, because we blew it against MTSU and Florida State, and I believe that we would have been in prime position to beat Wake Forest with Dungey instead of Mahoney at QB.

We played tough on the road at LSU, Miami, and Florida State.

We're heading in the right direction. Even though 4-8 is discouraging, we were a lot closer to getting to bowl eligibility than that record lets on. Need to get over the hump in 2018, and start actualizing the team's potential -- and I'm confident that Babers and staff will get it done.

I know we're not that far off, because we blew it against MTSU and Florida State, and I believe that we would have been in prime position to beat Wake Forest with Dungey instead of Mahoney at QB.

We played tough on the road at LSU, Miami, and Florida State.

We're heading in the right direction. Even though 4-8 is discouraging, we were a lot closer to getting to bowl eligibility than that record lets on. Need to get over the hump in 2018, and start actualizing the team's potential -- and I'm confident that Babers and staff will get it done.
we cannot afford the What losses--dungey or not---

I feel like our opener against WMU, has the potential of a "What happened!" game.
I know, tough thing to grasp when your team scores 84 points in the 1st half... It's gonna be like, WHOA, What happened!?

image.gif

Love the statistical analysis.

I think this staff can continue to recruit above the last decade+. I think 85/86 is a real possibility, based on performance. I like to think they can recruit above that, but that is going to require some great seasons.

Either way, love the trend.

Great analysis. Reading up on some opposing fan bases commentary over recruits they've lost to us and, at the very least, they respect our offense and see us as up and coming.

Depth has kept us from being bowl eligible. Depth and a few high end recruits on each side of the ball is keeping us from "contending".

*I put "contending" in quotes because we also have to be realistic and acknowledge what that means. We will never be able to compete $$$ wise with Clemson/FSU or location wise with Miami. Those 3 will probably run the conference but we can absolutely be in that group below them which has a team whether it's VT or Ville or NC State etc.. who will challenge the Big 3 on any given year.

We are starting to develop depth and we're starting to get some high end recruits/transfers. Now we need to see some results to kick it into high gear.

A bowl MUST happen. Many good things are happening, but, #1 priority is and always will be winning.

The time is now. Previous staff won 7/3/4 in that order... 6 wins mirrors the 3 year total of last regime.

Variables be damned, we need to move upward.

It sucks that we are replacing our entire LB core, a majority of the offensive production, and still have no scholarship FG kicker. If we had last year's roster with this year's schedule, then we would prob be a 7+ win team.

It sucks that we are replacing our entire LB core, a majority of the offensive production, and still have no scholarship FG kicker. If we had last year's roster with this year's schedule, then we would prob be a 7+ win team.

Sheesh.

1. We are losing our starting LB's - all pretty good, but not exactly suited for the system. The 2's are either well thought of recruits and/or gained valuable experience last year.

2. The system mitigates losing O talent somewhat. Everyone's "who will be AET?" has turned into "Who will replace Ish and Erv"? Also returning the most important position at QB with a talented kid on his heels. Our OL is maturing. Our coach and system churn out numbers and will break out this year.

3. We'll be fine at FG kicker.

4. I'll take this years talent with this years schedule for 7 w's please

I know, tough thing to grasp when your team scores 84 points in the 1st half... It's gonna be like, WHOA, What happened!?

View attachment 120455
That was my 1st thought too.

Babers won’t allow what happened against the directional school this year to happen next year.

Game 1...whooo boy...

And that will still give them basically 2 weeks to get ready for the Noles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom