We beat FSU in every way except score | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We beat FSU in every way except score

I think yesterday showed where a disparity of talent make this difference. Don't get me wring I am NOT saying Syracuse doesn't have the talent do win the game yesterday, because they obviously did. To me they won 70 ish% of the plays in the game if you had to grade the game, but FSU's ability to make such an enormous impact on 3 plays is such a difference. When the you lack the explosion to quick hit like that it demands that you play a significantly better game than the opponent, which Cuse didn't do IMO Almost half of FSU yards came on the 3 touchdowns. I am confident Dino will get the players in to compete on that type of level very soon!

Huh?

All season. Gutsy calls, going against the "this is how it's done grain, even though the math says otherwise"...

We have had a lower yards per play than near everyone we've played and yet have been within 9 points of every team we've played. In about half our losses we have more yards than our opponents. In most every game we've played we've had more 1st downs.

That's all system/philosophy stuff. That's all coaching.

You know what team we look like without tempo and going for it on 4th down and rolling the dice with calls? 3-5 FSU. Our stats are very similar - except in the amount of plays.

So, yeah. Couple of calls where he went against the grain - didn't work out. But that is hardly an indictment of the coaching.

All season. Gutsy calls, going against the "this is how it's done grain, even though the math says otherwise"...

We have had a lower yards per play than near everyone we've played and yet have been within 9 points of every team we've played. In about half our losses we have more yards than our opponents. In most every game we've played we've had more 1st downs.

You know what team we look like without tempo and going for it on 4th down and rolling the dice with calls? 3-5 FSU. Our stats are very similar - except in the amount of plays.

So, yeah. Couple of calls where he went against the grain - didn't work out. But that is hardly an indictment of the coaching.

I like this staff and want them here. However, your post is meant to be positive about the coaching staff but is really more of an indictment. If we have outplayed almost every opponent yet still lost, isn’t that a result of poor coaching?

They beat us in three areas that come to mind.

Rushing, big plays and coaching
I don't know about coaching. FSU has some players make some real bonehead mistakes. And that is coaching.

I mean they lost 35-3 last week to BC. That should be a good enough time to play them.

And Clemson killed BC 34-7. Transitive property doesn't always work in football particularly playing on the road vs at home.

We seem to be turnover prone and get off to a very slow start on the road.

In our 4 road games we have lost the first halves big time in every game 74- 27 but won the second halves 67 - 48.

And Clemson killed BC 34-7. Transitive property doesn't always work in football particularly playing on the road vs at home.

In our 4 road games we have lost the first halves big time in every game 74- 27 but won the second halves 67 - 48.

That BC clemson game was 7-7 well into the 3rd quarter, the score is deceiving.

I’m just saying...when is the right time to play a team? If playing FSU after getting blown out by BC wasn’t the right time, there will never be a right time.

There’s a time and a place for gutsy calls...they are not 4th and goal from the 3 yard line, in the first half of a game you really should win...and a win you really need.

SU lost to a team they should have beat...period. It's frustrating and annoying as heck. Babers and staff have them going in the right direction...no doubt...it just feels like 2012 when the stats were dominated by SU but not the score in too many instances. There were plays/calls that happened that could have changed the entire game so many times. The chance to beat a team that was on the ropes was right there...sitting right there, and SU failed to do so. Now, we will see what this team is made of when they play Wake because it isn't getting any easier, not by a long shot.

Last edited:
There’s a time and a place for gutsy calls...they are not 4th and goal from the 3 yard line, in the first half of a game you really should win...and a win you really need.

I think Dino would argue that it wasn't all that gutsy. If you think you can correct the mistakes that led to the 3 long TD's, and that your offense can score on them, and that the tempo works to your advantage?

I don't agree that people put this in a "should win" category. On paper we're pretty even. We had a better O and they had a better D. I said going into the game that if we got on them early we win. We didn't. I said if we can stop any explosive plays, we win. We didn't.

Poor coaching, bonehead mistakes, errors, omissions, F@#+ ups - whatever you want to call them, are always more easily overcome by better athletes, and FSU had them.

Upon further reflection, I can't help thinking that the team lost for 2 reasons:

1. We never took their heart away. The early interception and scores gave them confidence, hope and belief. An early lead might have done the opposite - forced them into a "here we go again" mindset and if that happened they might have begun to mail it in. While I think he was wrong to pass on the FG attempt, I think Dino was trying to get at that belief and send FSU into the locker room on a downer which would reopen the door to having them give up in the second half. If you can tie the score, then hold them on their first second half posession, and then march down the field and take the lead, they might have caved.

At the very least if would have perhaps forced them to throw the ball more which could have lead to sacks, fumbles, interceptions etc. Instead, we continued to get:

2. Akers - who was simply the best offensive talent on the field all game long. That move he put on Paris, a fantastic tackler, was simply extraordinary. He was IMO the primary reason we lost - we simply could not contain him.

Really looking forward to seeing the team turn this thing around against Wake. I'm looking forward to the dome being crazy loud.

Last edited:
Babers out coached Fisher. Fisher has better athletes and Dungey was out for a while, then came back at less than 100%. If the two coaches were given equivalent players, Babers wins 9 of 10 minimum, based on this game. Just my opinion, but the Orange are coached up, beyond their individual ability; FSU is not coached to their ability this year. While losing Francois hurt the Seminoles, they have no excuse for not having a better season than they are having.

One additional thought - as we all know, this team was a FG away from overtime. I remember thinking if Cole makes this FSU is gonna be in real trouble. Talk about pressure on a freshman QB. I would have loved to have seen that.