We cannot lose to Greensboro | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We cannot lose to Greensboro

Only reason to win this game is to avoid being ridiculed after Boehiems comments

It's not just the NIT where you get quickly forgotten. Lose a game in the NCAA and the sports news quickly forgets that you exist.

You can go 32-2 and as soon as you're out of the NCAA tourney the sports world moves on to the survivors and you become invisible.

We should just play the walk-ons.

Either way, I'm gonna watch Sr Night Part II.

Those here that say it will be a short-lived story are right. However short the story, though, it will be loud for the brief time that it is there. And, if Syracuse loses, rivals will keep reminding you of it, annoyingly, for some time to come. So, whether anyone cares about today's NIT is a moot issue. It's all about Boeheim and Greensboro.

Those here that say it will be a short-lived story are right. However short the story, though, it will be loud for the brief time that it is there. And, if Syracuse loses, rivals will keep reminding you of it, annoyingly, for some time to come. So, whether anyone cares about today's NIT is a moot issue. It's all about Boeheim and Greensboro.
Rivals already have their ammo given SU is playing in the NIT.

If we lose it is just the latest symptom in a three year skid* that has provided enough red flags to date that something is wrong. Is it related to top talent not wanting to commit to SU because of the uncertainty surrounding a coaching transition; are we just not recruiting the right kids; has Boeheim become too blase or hands off as retirement approaches; has our defense become so static that its novelty has worn off and other programs now know how to dismantle it; is the offense just too stale; are our player dorms and other BB facilities lacking in some respect; do kids all of a sudden just not want to play ball in the snow belt of upstate NY?

Al Davis, Jr had the right answer. Just win, baby! Because when you don't everything starts getting questioned.

As a stock jock I know it is always darkest at the bottom of a bear market. Maybe we are at the bottom of a down cycle. But, right now I
really just don't see a path back yet to the days we're we were a reliably top ten, forgetting about when we where top five for a good while.

*I am aware we went to the FF last year, but lets be real, save for the big Virginia upset (the Dayton win was solid, too) we had the path cleared for us to a large degree by Middle Tenn and Gonzaga as they took out the 2 and 3 seeds for us. It was a great ride, but it was a bit flukey. Anyway, one mans opinion.

Good luck to all my fellow northeastern's as that monster blizzard barrels down on us.

I know the trendy thing right now is to have a 'sky is falling' mentality around Syracuse basketball, but we are more or less in a very similar situation as we were following the '07-'08 season (minus the looming Boeheim retirement). We had back-to-back NIT seasons that were preceded by the 2005-06 team that was destined for the NIT before Gerry McNamara saved them. The sky was falling in 2008 before we went on possibly the greatest 5-year stretch in program history. It would be great if we could sustain our success for a longer period, but most programs have ebbs and flows and don't get to enjoy sustained success without hiccups here and there.

Idiots will make a big deal out of it because of the Boeheim Greensboro comments. Nobody else will care.

And everybody will forget it ever happened, except Greensboro.

I think we'll win, regardless though.

With this storm that's coming, I'm thinking this will be the smallest crowd in Carrier Dome history for SU hoops? If it's as bad as they say it will be by Tuesday evening, whose going to go to that?

How many other teams with three year skids were in the final four last year?

I did addressed that point in my asterisk comment, and I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth . . . ok, maybe just a little.

Yes we did get to the final four last year. Cuse has had more than its fair share of tourney bad breaks over time and last year was one of those occasions where we actually caught a couple of breaks and then performed at the right time. Over the past three years though, we finished the regular season, including the conference tournament at, 18-13 [self-banned from March Madness], 19-13 (23 -14 with NCAA tourney wins) and 18-14 going into the NIT. That is 40 losses in three years, the most losses in a three year period in Boeheim's tenure and the third worst three year skid for Syracuse MBB going back to 1900. Something DOES need fixing. The happy circumstance of last years FF was a lotta fun, a lotta fun, but lets not kid ourselves and believe that otherwise things weren't a struggle for the team- we closed the season losing 5 out of 6; had a four game skid in January, and lost 3 out of 4 at one point in Dec. The FF appearance overshadows that, but it doesn't undo the underlying truth that we were otherwise very mediocre- and have been for three years now, just as I don't think winning the NIT this year, should we be fortunate enough to do so, would undo the reality that we struggled mightily this season, too.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Just been following Syracuse basketball since the mid-70s and feel this is as rough a stretch as we have had in a long while. Doesn't help that the major pillar the whole program has been built upon, Jim Boeheim, will be going away soon. It is very important that if Syracuse wants to stay a top tier program it addresses some of the problems currently bedeviling us and get back to being a program that only has a single digit number in the loss column at the end of a year . . . with only the intermittent down years.

Our program would take a major hit. If we ever needed a win this is the game. Hopefully the dome will be rocking and our grads lead the way. Doesn't matter what happens after that but we need a good showing tomorrow.
This is a game that the players will have a hard time getting up for. Throw in the fact that there will be no students, and the blizzard will keep away a lot of people, and this has all the makings for the upset. To be honest, I won't be that upset if they lose.

JB has slagged Greensboro a couple of times now. Some of it uncalled for and some of it accurate. It's become the a-hole curmudgeon coach and Cuse's obnoxious Yankee fanbase against the seat of historical ACC power, the Carolina schools, and their pretentious and gentile Southern supporters. It's Us vs. Them, if you will, and the media will play it that way for ratings. We just need to kick UNCG's ass. I guarantee we won't hear the end of it if we lose. I live down here, I don't need to deal with that sort of debacle.

JB has slagged Greensboro a couple of times now. Some of it uncalled for and some of it accurate. It's become the a-hole curmudgeon coach and Cuse's obnoxious Yankee fanbase against the seat of historical ACC power, the Carolina schools, and their pretentious and gentile Southern supporters. It's Us vs. Them, if you will, and the media will play it that way for ratings. We just need to kick UNCG's ass. I guarantee we won't hear the end of it if we lose. I live down here, I don't need to deal with that sort of debacle.

I'm sure it's a big deal down there right now, but I don't think anybody else is paying much attention to it.

It's funny to me how a lot of those "polite" southerners will trash northeastern cities and think nothing of it, and then they'll get this sensitive over something so minor. Boeheim didn't even bash Greensboro. He said its not a major media hub and that the tournament shouldn't be there. Sure he had that typical bad mood Boeheim tone of voice, but he always does after games.

Also, I was in some back and forth on the UNC board over this. Some of them were convinced that milk is $100 a gallon in NYC. LOL. Also some of them mentioned "crime" as a reason they don't want to go to NYC for the ACC tourney.

I'm sure it's a big deal down there right now, but I don't think anybody else is paying much attention to it.

It's funny to me how a lot of those "polite" southerners will trash northeastern cities and think nothing of it, and then they'll get this sensitive over something so minor. Boeheim didn't even bash Greensboro. He said its not a major media hub and that the tournament shouldn't be there. Sure he had that typical bad mood Boeheim tone of voice, but he always does after games.

Also, I was in some back and forth on the UNC board over this. Some of them were convinced that milk is $100 a gallon in NYC. LOL. Also some of them mentioned "crime" as a reason they don't want to go to NYC for the ACC tourney.

Most people are focused on the other tournament. Greensboro, us and the media will hype our match-up a little bit. We are the bad guys in this scenario. We know Boeheim and how he is most of the time. He's an ascerbic ass after games. The surliness adds the wrong tone to his Greensboro comments. Ultimately we shouldn't mind being viewed as the northern villain. It's just sports, after all, there should be some animosity.

Most people are focused on the other tournament. Greensboro, us and the media will hype our match-up a little bit. We are the bad guys in this scenario. We know Boeheim and how he is most of the time. He's an ascerbic ass after games. The surliness adds the wrong tone to his Greensboro comments. Ultimately we shouldn't mind being viewed as the northern villain. It's just sports, after all, there should be some animosity.

I would fully embrace being the northern villain for big games against UNC and Duke.

NIT games against Greensboro...that's not as fun.

Greensboro is about 398th on the list of the South's favorite towns. Honestly its a quirky little story that got a little attention because it was JAB who said something but 99% of the country doesn't know about it or care.
You really haven't been paying attention to the news have you.

Tougher for us out of towners. Today is tough enough with crap I have to take from co-workers. Would rather win this 1st one just to avoid any more. Hit to the program however? None whatsoever...

My Seton Hall friend has been relentless today, its like bro, you realize your Seton Hall right?

Reactions: MGP
You really haven't been paying attention to the news have you.

I actually I have. Outside of Syracuse.com and an article buried on ESPN there's been little to no national coverage of this or some huge outcry from either side. I know this might come across as a shocker but the casual sports fan doesn't care that Jim Boehiem doesn't think the ACC tourney should be in Greensboro and that Syracuse and a college that most people have never heard of from the same city are meeting in the 1st round of the NIT.

The irony of Syracuse losing to UNC Greensboro wouldn't be lost on me; however, there is no correlation between JBs comments on a city and a team that plays within that city.

I know the media won't let that opportunity pass by though.

Manley doesn't have a court or bleachers in it anymore. They turned it into a temporary indoor football facility years ago.

We could play it in Jb's indoor bball court.

The only people that watch the NIT are degenerative gamblers. Such as myself, but I'd rather not be watching Syracuse in it. I will, of course, and hope we do give a damn about winning it all. Unless that means Battle goes off, and leaves. It's good for Thompson to develop. Crazy we don't have anyone else I can even mention alongside his name there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom