We cannot lose to Greensboro | Syracusefan.com

We cannot lose to Greensboro

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Our program would take a major hit. If we ever needed a win this is the game. Hopefully the dome will be rocking and our grads lead the way. Doesn't matter what happens after that but we need a good showing tomorrow.

Our program would take a major hit. If we ever needed a win this is the game. Hopefully the dome will be rocking and our grads lead the way. Doesn't matter what happens after that but we need a good showing tomorrow.

Honestly no one outside of this board and maybe a few hundred lifelong Greensboro residents will care about the outcome of tomorrow's game. It will have zero effect on our program moving forward.

Kind of like when we played Richmond, Vermont, Butler in the NCAAT......

Honestly no one outside of this board and maybe a few hundred lifelong Greensboro residents will care about the outcome of tomorrow's game. It will have zero effect on our program moving forward.

Losing in the 1st round of the NIT says that we don't care on being there, which would surprise no one and would not make much news.

Losing after the 1st round says that we tried a bit, but weren't good enough.

If we lose.

It'll make a clown out of JB, even though it absolutely shouldn't. It will comfort the committee that they made the right decision, even though they didn't. It'll be another lack luster showing to sum up our season, even though it's not necessary.

Obviously, I feel differently. A lot of basketball people thought we should be in. JAB is everywhere. I just don't think it's a good look for the program if we lose.

If we lose.

It'll make a clown out of JB, even though it absolutely shouldn't. It will comfort the committee that they made the right decision, even though they didn't. It'll be another lack luster shower to sum up our season, even though it's not necessary.

The committee is going to feel they made the right decision whether SU loses by 40 or wins the NIT championship. I doubt they are even following the NIT at all, most years I couldn't even tell you who is playing in the NIT less who won it. As far as JB goes again its a quick note on ESPN and by Thursday when the real tourney kicks off no one will care or remember.

Obviously, I feel differently. A lot of basketball people thought we should be in. JAB is everywhere. I just don't think it's a good look for the program if we lose.

You are correct that a lot of people thought we should be in but what we do now in the NIT is irrelevant. With the NCAA play in games the same day and the tourney in full swing two days later no one is going to care whether we win or lose. You are way over thinking this. Anyone who follows college basketball nationally like a Bilas, Vitale etc knows Syracuse isn't getting up for the NIT, what big program does?

If you don't think the national sports media won't blow this out of proportion if SU loses, you're delusional.

I don't think we'd take a major hit, but I do think it would be embarrassing. Especially for JB, in light of his recent comments.

I'd prefer that we dispatch of them, and end the story once and for all.

I don't think we'd take a major hit, but I do think it would be embarrassing. Especially for JB, in light of his recent comments.

I'd prefer that we dispatch of them, and end the story once and for all.

This is where I'm at. It would be a day or so embarrassing news story that I'd prefer to avoid.

If you don't think the national sports media won't blow this out of proportion if SU loses, you're delusional.

Again your talking what a quick blurb on ESPN and a link to the game recap on the front page for a few hours that's about it. Once the tourney gets in full swing 2 days later and that first upset hits no one will care or remember. Were not talking about SU playing Greensbore as a 1 vs 16 seed in the East region in the NCAA tourney. Were talking about a first round NIT game in a blizzard with 17 people in the stands half of which are Bees and his family. No one cares.

Again your talking what a quick blurb on ESPN and a link to the game recap on the front page for a few hours that's about it. Once the tourney gets in full swing 2 days later and that first upset hits no one will care or remember. Were not talking about SU playing Greensbore as a 1 vs 16 seed in the East region in the NCAA tourney. Were talking about a first round NIT game in a blizzard with 17 people in the stands half of which are Bees and his family. No one cares.
And we are talking about comments made by a nationally known coach about the South's favorite town. Not so much the game itself as the back story.

And we are talking about comments made by a nationally known coach about the South's favorite town. Not so much the game itself as the back story.

Greensboro is about 398th on the list of the South's favorite towns. Honestly its a quirky little story that got a little attention because it was JAB who said something but 99% of the country doesn't know about it or care.

JB/SU should come out and play man to man the entire game. If we lose, he can just say in his presser (facetiously of course) that he was doing the beautiful city of Greensboro a favor. ;)

The NIT has very low viewer numbers. With SU and Boehiem in it will be a huge boost. It is a prime time game tomorrow on the flagship when the NCAA play-in games are scheduled. Maybe that's why we're there in the first place.

Tougher for us out of towners. Today is tough enough with crap I have to take from co-workers. Would rather win this 1st one just to avoid any more. Hit to the program however? None whatsoever...

If we lose it is just the latest symptom in a three year skid* that has provided enough red flags to date that something is wrong. Is it related to top talent not wanting to commit to SU because of the uncertainty surrounding a coaching transition; are we just not recruiting the right kids; has Boeheim become too blase or hands off as retirement approaches; has our defense become so static that its novelty has worn off and other programs now know how to dismantle it; is the offense just too stale; are our player dorms and other BB facilities lacking in some respect; do kids all of a sudden just not want to play ball in the snow belt of upstate NY?

Al Davis, Jr had the right answer. Just win, baby! Because when you don't everything starts getting questioned.

As a stock jock I know it is always darkest at the bottom of a bear market. Maybe we are at the bottom of a down cycle. But, right now I
really just don't see a path back yet to the days we're we were a reliably top ten, forgetting about when we where top five for a good while.

*I am aware we went to the FF last year, but lets be real, save for the big Virginia upset (the Dayton win was solid, too) we had the path cleared for us to a large degree by Middle Tenn and Gonzaga as they took out the 2 and 3 seeds for us. It was a great ride, but it was a bit flukey. Anyway, one mans opinion.

Good luck to all my fellow northeastern's as that monster blizzard barrels down on us.

I was listening to a sports station that switched to ESPN radio at 1:00 last night and I just kept it on until about 4:00 (was working from my office). I heard the same segment 3 times how they thought it was great that we were playing Greensboro. It's not just an NIT matchup, this game has some intrigue element.

If we lose it will be a top story for the day... like when Kentucky lost to Robert Morris. But everytthing will go away fairly quickly.

If we lose it is just the latest symptom in a three year skid* that has provided enough red flags to date that something is wrong. Is it related to top talent not wanting to commit to SU because of the uncertainty surrounding a coaching transition; are we just not recruiting the right kids; has Boeheim become too blase or hands off as retirement approaches; has our defense become so static that its novelty has worn off and other programs now know how to dismantle it; is the offense just too stale; are our player dorms and other BB facilities lacking in some respect; do kids all of a sudden just not want to play ball in the snow belt of upstate NY?

Al Davis, Jr had the right answer. Just win, baby! Because when you don't everything starts getting questioned.

As a stock jock I know it is always darkest at the bottom of a bear market. Maybe we are at the bottom of a down cycle. But, right now I
really just don't see a path back yet to the days we're we were a reliably top ten, forgetting about when we where top five for a good while.

*I am aware we went to the FF last year, but lets be real, save for the big Virginia upset (the Dayton win was solid, too) we had the path cleared for us to a large degree by Middle Tenn and Gonzaga as they took out the 2 and 3 seeds for us. It was a great ride, but it was a bit flukey. Anyway, one mans opinion.

Good luck to all my fellow northeastern's as that monster blizzard barrels down on us.

You're reading into it too much. As somebody else stated, if we lose, it shows that we don't really care about the NIT. Anybody who's played sports and got into a consolation game or just an extra exhibition game after getting bounced from the playoffs can probably relate to how the players will approach the game. They'll go out and compete because that's what athletes do, but they're not going to poor their heart and soul into a game that doesn't mean anything.

I don't think a win or a loss has any relevance on the current state of the program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom