We feel awful, imagine KU fans | Syracusefan.com

We feel awful, imagine KU fans

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
I've said in a few threads that I'm most upset by losing Ennis and (most likely) Grant because of our great start, but then getting no pay back in the post season. So there is this empty feeling that we had such a small window with these great players and we were not able to cash it in.

But then I look at Kansas. They basically had two once-in-a-generation type players in Embiid and Wiggins. Everybody knew they had a one year shot with those guys and they end up losing in the second round with an 11 seed standing between them and the Elite 8 while Embiid is sidelined with an injury that he MAY have come back from if they can just beat Stanford for goodness sakes.

Ouch that hurts. We're not the only ones. Duke fans feeling the same about Parker I'm sure. I think this is increasingly the burden of the elite teams who can recruit this type of talent.

I feel like the difference is that Duke and KU fans knew that it was a one and done situation so they only missed out on a title.

Syracuse fans thought Ennis would be here a few years and we could watch him grow as a player and be a great floor general for a few seasons. Then when he emerged as such a talent right away we started thinking championship. In the end we missed out on a title AND a player that we could watch develop.

For example, at the start of the season my wife wanted a jersey to wear to games. (Yes, she is awesome). This was after the Canadian Tour and Midnight Madness. We settled on Ennis and I think I said something along the lines of..."He was so steady. Really good court vision. I think he's the real deal and after a few seasons he's going to be one of the best PGs we've had!"

Maybe KJ2 will come in next year and wear #11...

Duke and KU have also had much more success recently than us.

Duke and KU have also had much more success recently than us.

Much more success? They both have won a championship since we did, but both have also suffered devastating early exits from the tourney also in recent years. Duke with two first round outs in the past 3 years and mention Farukmanesh to a KU fan. We've won more games in recent years than any program except Kansas (if I recall correctly) and were are coming off two back to back elite 8's and a Final Four. I would challenge the idea that those two programs have had much more success.

Duke replaces Parker(PF), Thorton(PG), Dawkins(SG), and Hairston(PF) with Winslow(SF), Okafor(C), Jones(PG), Allen(SG).

Kansas replaces Embid(C), Wiggins(SF), and Black(PF) with Alexander(C), and Oubre(SF).

Syracuse replaces Ennis(PG), Fair(SF), and Baye(C) with Joseph(PG), and McCullough(PF).

Duke couldn't play defense. Syracuse couldn't play offense and not enough playmakers other than Ennis. Kansas was much like Syracuse after Embiid went down.

Kansas keeps Seldon though

Much more success? They both have won a championship since we did, but both have also suffered devastating early exits from the tourney also in recent years. Duke with two first round outs in the past 3 years and mention Farukmanesh to a KU fan. We've won more games in recent years than any program except Kansas (if I recall correctly) and were are coming off two back to back elite 8's and a Final Four. I would challenge the idea that those two programs have had much more success.
I'd gladly lose in the first round of the NIT for 3 straight years, if it was preceded by another NC. Seriously.

To each his own, but I would certainly not sign up for that.
You cant be serious.
The name of the game is CHAMPIONSHIPS. When JB retires they'll quote the number of wins...and the number of rings, not how many 1st Round exits he had in the Dance.

I would say any program that has a title in the last 10 years can argue that they've had more success than a team that doesn't. But everything else is spot on.

Amazing - we still hear about Vermont but nary a word in the national media about Bucknell, Lehigh and UNI. And now we can add Mercer to the list.

I would say any program that has a title in the last 10 years can argue that they've had more success than a team that doesn't. But everything else is spot on.

Amazing - we still hear about Vermont but nary a word in the national media about Bucknell, Lehigh and UNI. And now we can add Mercer to the list.

Hey there is no shame losing to Mercer buddy! :)

Duke and Ku fans expected their guys to leave, I never thought Ennis was a one and done.

You cant be serious.
The name of the game is CHAMPIONSHIPS. When JB retires they'll quote the number of wins...and the number of rings, not how many 1st Round exits he had in the Dance.

As a fan, my main desire is to be entertained every year, with a chance for a conference championship and a high seed in the tournament. I haven't forgotten how awful spring of 2007 and 2008 were with those two NIT bids in a row. I can assure you that I wasn't thinking, "Eh, it's okay because we wont the title in 2003."

I actually hear about Kansas' struggles a lot more than I hear about Vermont.

As a fan, my main desire is to be entertained every year, with a chance for a conference championship and a high seed in the tournament. I haven't forgotten how awful spring of 2007 and 2008 were with those two NIT bids in a row. I can assure you that I wasn't thinking, "Eh, it's okay because we wont the title in 2003."
Yeah...but you got over it.
The fact that you even referenced 2003 proves my point. You ALWAYS remember the Championships, not the disappointments.
In 20 years you won't be saying; "Geez, I hated those back-to-back NIT years in 2007-2008", you'll be saying "I remember where I was when Hak blocked that shot", or "I went nuts when we finally won #2..."!

Alexander is a man child. Oubre is pretty awesome too. Kansas should be preseason top 5. Seldon, Taylor and Tharpe are good building blocks. If Ellis comes back they have the best front court in the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom